“Great food and atmosphere.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Hohenfels, Germany
“Great food and atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Great place to go and take family. Make sure you come just after you eat somewhere else as you will wait at least an hour on a nice weekend at lunch time. Great food and nice service but not impressed at all by the busness model used to sit people. At least 15 families and groups waiting on empty seats they really need to learn how to manage a restaurant. Atmosphere wa great and plenty of neat things to see once inside. We will return just not with kids or hungry.

Visited October 2013

Kansas City
“Worth a Visit for the Pure Enjoyment of the Place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Ok...so the food was mediocre. We had a horseradish cream cheese dip with crackers that was pretty good but the burger and fries and fish n chips were not very good. And by not good I mean the fries and fish were SO greasy and the fish was way too crispy done even for my taste. We ate outside and our server was nice. But the mediocre food took FOREVER and it pretty much looked like that was the case for everyone around us. We had a beer flight which we enjoyed. The beer isn't the best I've ever had but it was good...and local.

The BEST part of the whole visit was the trip to the underground bar that I'm sure would be a great rowdy time on a Saturday night. We had the kiddos with us so we didn't stay long but the trip to the underground made everything else worth it for us. So go. Don't order food. Or if you do just don't expect it to be very good. But go because it's a way cool space.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Try another pub in town.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Funky tasting beer, less than stellar food, annoyed that your there wait staff and a dark dank atmosphere, is what your in for, enjoy!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kansas City, Missouri
“Not sure if we ate at America Bowman, Weston Brewing Co. or O'Malley's Pub”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I like to try different places, so my husband and I drove to Weston from Kansas City North this Sunday afternoon, about a 30 min drive. We chose this restaurant (which we thought was America Bowman, which has the same address) because it was the first one on the internet list of Weston restaurants I called that was still open, or would be open when we got there, and the one review I saw was good. Actually, there was one other place that would have been open (they take their last customers at 3:30), however their "Brunch" was just ordering items off the menu. Well in that case, IHOP has "Brunch"! I mean seriously, am I going to order both a breakfast and a lunch entree? A brunch is a buffet all-you-can-eat style of great breakfast and lunch items, some of which even include steak and prime rib, plus desserts, and you can eat some of this, a little of that. But I digress.

First the positives:
It's open until 9:00p on Sunday. Hallelujah, something in Weston doesn't close at or before 5:00p. Inside, the place kind of felt like an old everyday Irish pub that the men would hang out at after a hard day's work. (That may or may not be a compliment.) It has real oil lamps on the tables which put out a nice glow. I was able to try Magner's Hard Irish Cider, which I had wanted to try previously but hadn't wanted to buy a whole pack of at the grocery. Also, my roll was warm.

The negatives:
Where to start. Firstly, nowhere did we see a sign that said "America Bowman", which is where we were going. Maybe we missed it. I don't know. We saw signs that said "Weston Brewing Company" and "O'Malley's". The Navigator Girl on my phone usually says "Your destination is on the right" (or left) when we get there. This time she said nothing. I think she just threw up her hands lol. I knew we were in the right area based on the address, but saw nothing. We drove around the block and ended up back in the same spot. This time we tried taking a left at the corner onto a little street that really looked like nothing, but then found signs for Weston Brewing Company and O'Malley's and there were people sitting on a back patio eating. It didn't really even look that much like a business, except for the signs, but more like someone's unkempt backyard. I finally called the number for America Bowman and asked if they were the same thing as Weston Brewing Company and they said yes, so we parked and went in a small door that didn't look like an entry to a restaurant, but the sign on the door's window said open, so we went in. I had no idea we were going to an Irish pub until we walked in and heard the music. And by the way, why is an Irish pub named America Bowman, which is also Weston Brewing Company, but our receipt had O'Malley's on it? Who's on first? I give up. Talk about your inbred cousins. Ha.

This is not a fancy place. The customers outside looked a tad scruffy and less than casual, bordering on farmish/motorcycle-ish. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, just describing the feel and look. In their defense, maybe it was just a reflection of the whole area. I wonder what it's like on Friday and Saturday nights.

OK, the inside seemed kind of better. But walking in the door into a small, dark & cramped area I still felt like we were in the wrong place, or in the back or something. But we then came to the "reception" area, which looked more like a place of business.

THE MEAL:: Our server did not communicate info to us correctly. She handed us a paper listing of "Beers on Tap". I asked her if they had any other alcohol and she said they only serve what's on the sheet and only beers that are brewed by them. Never said they had a full bar, nothing. OK fine, I would have preferred a mixed drink, but I ordered the Magner's, since I had wanted to try that a few years ago, & my husband ordered one of the beers. A bit later, I saw a server walk by with a Boulevard Wheat, which is my husband's favorite beer. That was definitely not on the list we were given. Our server also said the beers were $6 (altho we had not asked the price), however, my husband's beer was only $4. Not complaining certainly, just illustrating her lack of communicating accurate info all around.

I ordered the "Ham and Cheese Pye". From the menu description, "Flaky pastry filled with custard of four cheeses and ham, garnished with our cherry-cranberry relish". Sounded pretty darn good. I envisioned it would come in a circular bowl with a fluffy, flaky pastry topping over it. However, it was just a regular size pie-shaped piece of your basic, albeit cheesy, quiche. It was overcooked and dry. I had to use my knife a few times to even cut through the crust. The relish came in a tiny side bowl, which I didn't eat since I don't care for cranberries unless they're in muffins, cookies or in a great little frozen cranberry salad I make. The accompanying roll was average at best & appeared to just be out of a bag of rolls you could buy at the grocery. I give it points for being warm, however. The side veggie was unimaginative & not even mentioned on the menu description. It was just big pieces of broccoli and carrots, with a few green beans and I think smaller pieces of squash. You can get that anywhere. The side salad was just greens & walnuts. That's it! The poppy seed dressing was fine, but certainly not better than anywhere else I've had it. My husband had the reuben and he said it was average. He tried the cranberry relish and he kind of turned up his nose. And he is certainly no picky eater. When we left, the girl at the front desk didn't say anything to us. No "Thank you for coming", nothing. And we had made no complaints at all and were nice as pie, even though we were not impressed with anything.

Oh and about the lamps. Yes, they put out a nice glow. However, ours only got lit because we asked if we could have it lit, since we noticed one other table had theirs lit, and it was rather dark in there, even though it was in the middle of the afternoon. The person then proceeded to light the lamps on the other tables. So had we not asked, we would have sat there in dusky darkness because there were no other lights on in our area.

So there you have it. Would I go back? No. Would I recommend this place? No.
This place needs to shape up, in my opinion, and not act like the boss is on vacation.
Also, a name clarification would help the non-locals.

Sorry this was long.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Washingon, Kansas, United States
“Excellent salmon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My daughter and I ate supper here. We started with a very generous order of crisp onion rings. I had the salmon and it was absolutely delicious! You receive a very generous portion and it is coated with an incredible teriyaki sauce. My daughter had fish and chips, which was also excellent. Outside seating is offered. I strongly recommend this restaurant!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere