“Yummy Sandwiches” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Yummy Sandwiches”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I love the location on the Hill but it's nice to have a location right up the street from me. It's a tad sad that it's in a small plaza because I didn't know it was there until I went to buy paint at Sherwin Williams. It's my understanding that they will be moving to a free standing building a little west on Manchester (yeah!!). My husband and I ordered carry out. The restaurant was empty besides two others that ordered carry out, as well. The employees were very friendly. We look forward to checking out the new location (hopefully very soon).

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

San Diego, California
“Crowded, But Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

After perusing the menu, I decided on a tunafish sandwich. When asked if I wanted a half or whole, of course I said whole (thinking of the little square slices of bread I was used to). Received a HUGE "Subway size" sandwich! Packed away half for later... The place has tables jammed together, many right where people wait in long lines to order their food. However, we were able to sit "out of the way" at our table, so it wasn't a big deal. I'm just not used to green onions in tunafish salad...but quickly got used to them.

Visited September 2012
Hillsboro, MO
“A St.Louis legend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

Love, love, love the special. Can't find a better tasting sandwich. Be sure and get a side of sauce and lather it up

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bentonville, Arkansas
“Disappointing Visit to this St. Louis Italian Eatery”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I went to visit this Amighetti's location for lunch one afternoon. I used to visit the other locations when I lived in St. Louis previosly and enjoyed Amighetti's sandwiches. I was thrilled when my GPS pulled up this location because I was tired of the usual chain restaurants. Upon entering, I ordered a whole meatball sandwich, a bottled water, and a diet Fitz's rootbeer. I was excited that they carried Fitz's and also had a diet rootbeer to choose from. After paying, I went to sit down until they called my number. The dining area had plenty of space and tables. After about 10 minutes, a server brought my wrapped meatball sandwich to me. It is a big sandwich with a generous portion. I noticed that I did not have a fork to go with my sandwich so I went to look for one. They did not have any utensils out for customers to use. You had to specifically ask for eating utensils which to me is ridiculous especially when you are eating in a Italian restaurant that serves pasta along with sandwiches. I went immediately back to my table after the cashier gave me a fork and unwrapped my sandwich to eat. Upon diving into my meatball sandwich, I discovered the meatballs and the sauce were cold. This is suppose to be a hot meatball sandwich and it was anything but hot. I kindly informed one of the employees ,who was cleaning tables, about my sandwich and she nicely removed it and said they would get me a new sandwich. After about 5 minutes, another nice womam emerged from the kitchen, brought me a new sandwich, and apologized for the cold meatball I had received previously. To Amighetti's credit, all the restaurant employees were very nice, professional, and courteous. This time, the sandwich was hot. The pasta sauce and the meatballs had a great flavor. Amighetti's is known for baking their own bread for their sandwiches. The Italian bread on my meatball sandwich was as hard as a rock. My teeth were hurting from trying to eat this sandwich so I just ate the meatballs off the bread. I was really disappointed in the bread because it was so hard and did not seem fresh. I am a bread-lover and this was bread was disappointing. Local grocery St. Louis grocery stores provide fresher Italian bread that what I experienced at this location. I finished my meal and left. My jaw was hurting from trying to eat the bread at this Amighetti location. The value of my meal was good. Service was good. Meal was disappointing. I do not think this reflects all of the other Amighetti locations and maybe I just caught this location on a bad day. I will probably not visit this Amighetti location again when I am in St. Louis on business.

• Visited May 2012