“Menu Changes are Disappointing” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Entertaining clients
Good for: Bar scene, Entertaining clients
Sullivan, Illinois
“Menu Changes are Disappointing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Recently went back for my husbands favorite burger and was disappointed that it had been taken off the menu. They still claim all burgers are hand made but the burger that came to the table looked an awful lot like a pre-made patty. Thin and small, compared to before and up in cost - $11.00 for burger and fries.
I had the fish and chips for $11.00. Probably the best fish I've had at a restaurant and the portions were large, I couldn't even eat the fries that came with it. A ramekin that held about 1/4 cup of slaw was also served.
Would go back for the fish, but sad to say.........not so much the burgers we bragged about to friends!

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Terry H, Owner at John G's Tap Room and Augusta Brewing Company, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Teri,
I am sorry we took your favorite burger off the menu; we change out menus so folks have variety to choose from. I am glad you enjoyed the fish and chips. Yes, our burgers are all hand padded to 1/2 pound each, not a single beef burger is processed at John G's. Thanks for your feedback, we strive to make everyone's visit enjoyable.
Terry

“John G's- sit outside if possible!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

My husband & I have gone here many nights after a movie or after dinner. We have eaten inside before, the menu has expanded over the last year, and the food always has just that little extra twist. They have tons of microbrews on tap if you like those, and the cocktails are reasonably priced. I personally prefer to sit at their lower "beer deck", which overlooks the Missouri River. Even in the fall, they have little fireplaces and blankets out there. It's very cozy. Sometimes on the weekends, there will be a live band outside. I enjoy this little place, and think they are a great secret.

Visited August 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Nice Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Wanted to try Augusta Brewery (in Augusta, MO) but it was closed for the season. So we went to their full tap room in nearby Washington and we were quite satisfied. Excellent micro brews (suggest the 'Kick [--]' Double IPA) and equally good pub food. We will be back! Why not 5 stars? 5 Stars is saved for a place which changes your life and memories. I don't think I've given a 5 star yet. But this place is a full 4 star.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great stop for lunch when in Washington. Mo.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

The outside dining overlooks the river but is closed during the week in the Fall. Bummer because the bratwurst is the best. Tried the portabellum wrap. Picture above. Very good, and probably healthy too.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
St. Louis, MO
“Love their Sunday Fried Chicken!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was our second visit to John G's for a Sunday Chicken dinner - it is delish! We travel about 45 minutes to get there so you know it's good! I also highly recommend their desserts which are made in house. The chocolate cake is devine accompanied by an Imperial Stout (I think they should serve the two together to be honest) and their cheese cake which is a different flavor each week was blood orange and MAN was it incredible! The service is always stellar and the atmosphere is fun. Plenty of TVs if the big game is on. They also have a little outside bar out back that overlooks the river. This is a favorite day trip for our family for sure.

• Visited July 2013