“Many Things Should Have Been Better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of St. Louis Marriott West

You added St. Louis Marriott West to your Saves list
St. Louis Marriott West
3.5 of 5 Motel   |   660 Maryville Centre Drive, Town and Country, Saint Louis, MO 63141   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Craftsbury, Vermont
“Many Things Should Have Been Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

First let me say that the desk staff was very good and helpful. BUT... the Marriott failed in many other ways. The first night our bed was made up without a top sheet so we had only the duvet and when I pulled that back I found a big black hair prominently in the middle of the bed. It was a shock. There was no shampoo in the room although we had two bottles of body wash. The second night we acquired a top sheet but still no shampoo. On the second morning we were awakened at 5:45 AM by loud noises on our ceiling. I called the desk and was told they would look into it. They called back to say that there was an early check-out and the cleaning people were working in the room above, too noisily. Next, we heard a cell phone ring a couple of times followed by a man's voice (obvioously a lawyer) speaking so loudly that it sounded like he was standing next to our bed. We heard all about the court case he was putting on. I realized that the voice was coming through a metal connecting door between rooms. I called the desk again and asked for a different room. Before 8 AM we had packed up and moved to another corner room, now at the other end of the hotel. The room was larger and more commodious and had shampoo. Hooray! Here what amazed me was that the sheets had been put on the bed so carelessly that the bottom sheet's corner was about 5 inches off the mattress and the top sheet was so low that it couldn't cover our shoulders so again we had mostly just the duvet. At 7 the next morning there were four bangings on our ceiling which probably would have awakend me if I had not been awake already. In conclusion, I think the Marriott needs to spend more effort on these details and less on having people standing around greeting us.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Troy, Missouri, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

My mate and I spent 2 nights here. First impression of the hotel was a good one. It appeared clean and elegant. The staff was friendly during check in. The room was clean and nice, but kind of small for what we were expecting. The room had a desk/table with chair, another chair and tv. The toiletries were from Bath & Body Works, a nice touch. We had a nice view of the lake. Things were fine until night fell and we had to go to bed.

This was the most uncomfortable bed I have encountered in a hotel. The mattress was lumpy and hard in places and it almost seemed as if you were sleeping on a hill. The pillows were really uncomfortable, also. There were 3 too large very stiff pillows with shams that you would never be able to use. Then there were 3 too small pillows that were down filled and also extremely uncomfortable.

There was a nice comforter, except we had to actually sleep on top of that to get a little extra comfort because of the hard, lumpy mattress. We looked underneath the sheet and there was a mattress cover that was what we believed to be the hard, lumpy culprit. However, the mattress underneath was very old and yellow looking and not any softer.

We woke up several times during the night in sheer misery. To have to endure this for a second night was sheer torture. We went away from this hotel experience not feeling rested, as we had hoped. I'm not sure how anyone else feels, but to me, the bed is of the utmost importance. I would never want to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Athens, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

My daughter and her best friend and I traveled from Georgia to St. Louis to attend a friend's daughter's Bat Mitzvah. The family booked rooms at the Marriott West. From the moment we arrived, the hotel staff treated us with such hospitality they just set the tone for an even more wonderful weekend. The staff was so patient explaining how to drive to a shopping mall that had restaurants and a Wal-Mart and thoroughly explained how to get to the Temple for the services. It was very hot and every one enjoyed the outdoor and indoor pools, and the indoor workout room. We had free internet in the room and the hosting family got us a GREAT rate of $89 per night for a large room with two large beds and plenty of storage space. Downside of the room was the lack of a refridgerator and this was a little taxing because the ice machine on our floor was broken. But, other than that, we were very pleased with our stay! The hotel is located in a very quiet and peaceful residential area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Central IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

Did I mention....What a fantastic view!!!!! My fiance and I really did enjoy our stay at this hotel, and look forward to staying again sometime when we have another night out in the St.Louis area. The lounge/lobby area was newly updated and very swanky, but it didn't match the style of the rooms. The rooms might be considered outdated in some respects, but the bed linens, pillows, curtains, flat screen TV, coffee maker w/goodies was all nice and new! Plus, what some of us "young folk" may consider outdated, is really the classic tastefully decorated Merriot Style, and it isn't like the furniture is falling apart and there are holes in the carpet. Everything is VERY clean, including the bathroom which is separated from the sink/closet area. Great for ladies getting ready with full length mirror doors on the closet....and the view..... Well, every time I looked out that window it was like paradise!

There are only two complaints that I had with the hotel and did take up with them. #1 There was no in-room menu in our room, and if there was, we would have ordered room service for dinner... #2 When we pre-ordered our breakfast, it was delivered late, which pushed us back in leaving. The manager took care of our breakfast bill and offered us complimentary dessert (We had the Tiramisu). So we were pleased with how that turned out in the end, of course I probably would not have been so pleased if I was trying to catch a flight. Considering the circumstances, we were happy with the results.

The staff was incredibly friendly when we checked-in (chit chatty) and friendly on the way out again! I reccomend this hotel to everyone that wants a quiet and peaceful night's sleep in a very clean, and large room, with a great view, and VERY comfortable bed.

We slept like angels :)

Scottsdale, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights while visiting friends and attending a highschool class reunion. We found the staff and ammenities to be wonderful. The weather was even great!!! Thank you Marriott. We give you an all around 10!

Dunlap, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

We were given a room right across the hall from the ice machine/vending area. The room right next door to us had hinges with excruciatingly loud squeaking noise. Then, to add insult to injury, kids (and adults) intermittently talked loudly outside our room until about 3am. (We've stayed at his hotel at least 6 times - it always has some big group of kids staying there.) So, lessons learned:
- Don't allow yourself to be booked into a room across from the vending area or near the elevator (people exit the elevator talking loudly).
- Take a fan, white noise generator, or high-quality earplugs to this hotel.
Other than that, the room was clean and had a very comfortable bed. Too bad we only got to sleep 4-5 hours in it!
Note to hotel management: Would you consider adding a door or sound absorbing material to your vending areas?Would you consider a small sign inside the elevators: "Please respect hotel guests; talk quietly after 10pm."

Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

We've stayed tat this Marriott several times, but noticed some things either being cut back or needing attention. I hope that a renovation of the guest rooms is in the near future. The beds were not very comfortable; and the pillows were needing to be replaced. We had issues getting a rollaway, being denied a second one, then getting that one without a mattress pad. One night, we had used the bath towels from taking the kids swimming, and needed some trash removed, so I called for turndown service (it is listed in their services in the guidebook in the room). I left a tip for housekepping, which she took, but she left all the dirty towels and trash. I called again and was told that they don't offer turndown service - so I just asked for some more towels. What the heck was that about? Also, they used to leave a small bottle of water by the coffee pot every day, but this time it was only left every few days. The room was seldom vacuumed (which happened our last stay) and with two kids, did have crumbs on the floor sometimes.
One other unacceptable fact was that our reservation was on the government rate, which stated that we get breakfast buffet and one cocktail per adult daily. Last year we got coupons for those. This year, even though it stated that on our reservation, we were told that due to cutbacks they no longer provide that. They need to change their website in that case! That is really making a false promise. We had concierge level for the breakfat anyway, but it's the same thing every day so we didn't always bother.
The indoor pool is okay, but don't use the locker rooms. The women's is closed, and the men's is covered in urine on the walls, filthy beyond description. I guess they are going to be gutted, but they really need to get on that asap.

I think if you are a solo business traveler needing a night, you would do fine here. For more lengthy stays or with kids, I will look into the Residence Inn nearby next time.
Oh, and we're (well my husband is) Marriott Platinum, but I didn't think that that made any difference in his or my treatment during the stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to St. Louis Marriott West? Share your experiences!