“Great place for convention” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   333 John Q. Hammons Pkwy., Springfield, MO 65806   |
Ranked #12 of 49 hotels in Springfield
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boonville, MO
“Great place for convention”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I recently attended a state convention at the University Plaza hotel. The complimentary breakfast buffet was great.
In the beginning I was a little put off as I had requested an early check-in and when I arrived, they told me I had to wait another 2 hours to check in.
After one hour others started checking in and instead of them coming to me (seated 20 feet away), I went to ask if it was okay to check in now. They did check me in, but was in no hurry to tell me as I sat there with my workshop supplies and bags waiting patiently.
After this, the stay went pretty well. The rooms were nice and clean and the hotel staff was friendly. I also was able to visit the spa. Their employees were very professional and attentive.

Room Tip: The king suites are very comfortable for a long stay.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kevin K, Manager at University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay, and the service that our staff provided. Your comments will be expressed to them. I will also look into the concerns you had with your check-in at the hotel.

We are very fortunate to have a wonderful location that offers our guests a variety of amenity options including a full spa and complimentary hot breakfast buffet.

Also, cleanliness and service are always top of mind with our staff and we are committed to delivering these items at an exceptional level.

Thank you very much for staying with us.

427 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Brighton, Missouri, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We had booked a block of rooms for the weekend of our wedding from March 22 - 24, 2013. The contract was written on Septermber 10, 2012 and specified 5 pool side suites. We had checked the availablility on the suites the date the contract was signed. We had all 5 suites reserved by our friends and family within one week of signing the contract. The eve of my wedding (March 22) I received a call from the University Plaza manager informing me that all of our pool side suites had been given away to other guests! In addition, there were not enough suites available to give to my displaced guests. We were even lied to by the hotel staff regarding the room types that were booked. I had a copy of the master group pick-up list for our block that showed which guests had reserved rooms and the room type. We were told that my sister's room was booked as an executive suite when in fact it was listed as a pool side suite on the master list. Apparetnely the staff took it upon themselves to switch the room without consent. It took well over 3 hours to resolve the situation which included contacting guests who were traveling over 400 miles in snow storm to tell them the did not have a room when they arrived. In addition, many of the rooms were not clean and one had left over food in the refridgerator from a previous guest. Several of the toilets in the rooms did not flush and ours would not stop running. The breakfast buffet served liquidy eggs, cold biscuts and gravy, and stale bread and muffins. We certainly expected better treatment and hospitatilty considering that we had 20 rooms booked and almost all for multiple nights!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Please accept my apologies for your unsatisfactory experience at the University Plaza Hotel. We hold our standards for luxury service in high regard and I deeply regret that your experience fell below that standard. I assure you that I will personally address our lapse in service you received during your event. I would like to thank you for bringing these issues to our attention.

I will be using your feedback to improve upon our service standards in the future as well by presenting your comments to our staff. While we review your comments, we will revisit what it means to present our guests with service and products that reflect a luxury experience.
Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Emilia, the bartender is one of the nicest, most personable hotel employees I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. However, this is the third time we have stayed at this hotel and each time we have had a very, very slow internet connection. Each time I have asked for someone to see if anything could be done to no avail.
Aaron, the bellman and Julie at the front desk were very nice as well.
I'll try it one more time because we like the staff and the location, but if we can't get high speed internet we will be forced to find a new place to stay.
Regretfully......

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
rhenley9, General Manager at University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, March 29, 2013

We are starting our first phase of a multi million dollar renovation in April/May which includes upgrading the Internet speed as well as the interior and exterior, You will be very pleased with the speed of our new WIFI which should be complete by June of this year.

I am fully aware that you have many choices in hotels and are happy that you continue to allow us to the opportunity of serving you!
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here when we were in town visiting area colleges. Everything about our stay exceeded our expectations. From the person who took our reservation, to check-in, room service and even the breakfast staff, everyone here was very friendly and professional and seemed to go out of their way to make sure that we were taken care of. The rooms were very spacious and clean, and the complimentary breakfast buffet included a huge selection and was delicious. We will definitely stay here again the next time we're in Springfield, and would highly recommend the University Plaza.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We are glad that you enjoyed your time at the University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center in the heart of downtown Springfield, MO. We are in a perfect location whether your trip brings you to Springfield for business or pleasure.

Again we are glad you enjoyed yourself and we look forward to seeing you soon. Thanks for taking the time post your experience on Trip Advisor.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed for three days in March for a business trip to Missouri State University. Hotel located right on campus. The rooms are large, clean, and comfortable with free internet. There was a decent breakfast included in the room price. Staff very professional staff with easy check in and check out. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to record your feedback on Trip Advisor! We do appreciate all comments from our guests.

We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us! We are very fortunate to have a wonderful location that offers our guests a variety of entertainment options while they are here on business or leisure travel.

Thank you very much for staying with us. We hope to become your hotel of choice when you stay in downtown Springfield! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Holton, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed here because you get privileges to eat at the tower club on the 22nd floor of the tallest bldg. in springield which is just next door.
Room was clean and spacious, the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was fine. I thought we received good value for our stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
rhenley9, General Manager at University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Many thanks for your warm words regarding your experience at University Plaza Hotel and The Tower Club. We take pride in providing service unlike any other which we feel sets us apart from other hotels in Springfield.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Springfield, The Tower Club and the University Plaza very soon.
LEES SUMMIT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The staff here is amazing. Very clean, comfortable accommodations. And, fresh coffee and ice water in every meeting room!! Breakfast was amazing, and conference meals were decent. Staff even did their best when an elevator broke; allowing us to use the service elevator. Upon exiting said service elevator the first time, and finding myself in the kitchen, the chef helped me steer my luggage cart in the correct direction.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
rhenley9, General Manager at University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
We are so delighted that you had a wonderful experience with us at the University Plaza Hotel. Your comments reflect the kind of service we strive to give each of our guest’s everyday, from the moment you pull up to the hotel to the time of check out and driving away, we give 110% luxury service.

Thank you again for your stay and your kind words, we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon!

Been to University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!