“Business trip and adventure to boot!” 5 of 5 stars

The Mansion at Elfindale
1701 S. Fort, Springfield, MO 65807   |
Ranked #2 of 11 Springfield B&B and Inns
Annandale Minn
“Business trip and adventure to boot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

A very peacefull place to get away. The Mansion is exciting to explore. With a tower over looking the lake and much history, this is a timeless teasure that everyone should enjoy. The rooms are so comfortable that I had the best sleep that I have got in a while. Was very able to get alot done while on business.

Room Tip: The tower room with a view overlooking the lake is the best room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

On the third day of 2,700 mile road trip across country, we covered a lot of ground passing through the rest of New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma. My husband was determined to get to Missouri, Springfield to be exact. Since he did most of the driving, I did the hotel booking. The original Bed and Breakfast I found was full, so I asked for a recommendation and they sent me to Elfindale. When I called, Mayra, the charismatic B+B/wedding coordinator manager, was ready to have us, although I scratched my chin when I was placed briefly on hold and heard religious talk as the hold "music." When we arrived, she gave us a tour of all the suites except the one that was taken and let us have our pick. It was like being in a museum, except we could touch. We chose the John O'Day room which was more expensive, but since it was an off night she gave it to us on the cheap, meaning the same price as the majority of the rooms.

The mansion's story goes back to many owners, but was sold in the 80s to a church, who are the current owners. There is pro god propaganda everywhere, but it's more or less subtle - if anything, interesting.

Love the wallpaper!

Our bathroom still had its original fixtures. We felt pretty special to be there. The entire mansion is filled with antiques galore.

Brunch is only served on the weekends (partially why we got such a discounted rate), however, coffee cake, juice and coffee was still served in the morning. The husband and I went to the Mudhouse for coffee and brought it back to our suite to have coffee in the sitting area. It was fantastic! If you ever find yourself in Springfield (which is a place I would gladly free willingly return to), a stay at Elfindale is worth it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Walnut Shade, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

My husband, 3 month old daughter, and I spent the night here along with my husband's family. The rooms were very spacious, and each included a bed, bathroom, and sitting area as well as a TV and DVD player. Overall, I would say the accommodations were just okay compared to other B&B's. The room could have been a little cleaner, and the room we were first assigned was way too cold for our baby. The staff person on duty was, however, very helpful and let us sleep in one room that had its own thermostat (most of them do). Since that room didn't have hot water, we were able to go back and shower in our original room. Again, it was great of the staff to let us do this, but really kind of a hassle for what you would expect out of a place like this.

The breakfast was tasty, but not very extensive. The buffet included biscuits and gravy, muffins, eggs, bacon, and sausage. Again, not bad...just not very much. Also, guests at this place seem to like to go around and check out the different rooms, so be sure to lock your door at all times. I had a lady bust into my room and flip on the light at 7 am while I was nursing my child (my husband had run out to pick up some things we forgot)!

All in all, I would still recommend this place as it is unique. It's just not top-of-the-line.

Room Tip: The Veranda room was very cold and did not have its own thermostat. The Gibson Suite felt a little...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Springfield, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

My husband and I spent the night at Elfindale for our anniversary. It is a beautiful old Victorian mansion. The rooms were nice but a little warm. My husband and I did not sleep well but that can just be chalked up to missing our bed at home. The staff was friendly but a little difficult to find and the service seemed slow. Breakfast was ok but not nearly up to the standards of what one would expect at a bed and breakfast. My husband and I sat alone in the dining area for about 10 minutes before a staff person came along and apologized that breakfast was delayed. She came out five minutes later wtih a plate for each of us with scrambled eggs, two sausage links, a muffin and some grapes. That was the extent of our breakfast - not quite what we expected for the price we paid. It was a nice place to visit once, but only worth about 1/2 of what we paid for it and not a place we feel we need to return to.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

Women will love the romantic atmosphere and the varied, non-traditional decorating. Men will like its close proximity to the HQ of Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World and that there are 2 suites that are masculine in decor. No two rooms are even remotely the same; not in size, shape or colors. The weekend full breakfast is great and the staff pays just the right amount of attention. Direct TV in the rooms. No pool, but didn't expect one at a B & B.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2007

The Mansion at Elfindale is beautiful, historic and a great value for the money. I would like to go back and stay in other rooms just to experience them. We had a suite on the first floor. It was beautifully furnished and clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. The only elements we missed were the following: no desk in the room and a very small closet. But these were almost insignificant in terms of our stay. I would highly recommend staying at the Mansion. It is owned by a church and there is a chapel and two churches on the premises.

• Liked — It was beautiful.
  • Disliked — Small closet and no desk in room.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2006

This place offered us a great night while passing through. The staff was wonderful, they took time to tell us the story of this historic B & B. If you are looking for a historic place, in the city, this would be it. The rooms are beautiful - Victorian style furnishings and each one unique. We stayed in one room with 2 queen beds and it was very spacious. Our friends were on the 1st floor with one king bed, also tastefully decorated. Breakfast was ok - I was expecting something a little more, seeing as how we were in a B & B. But, it was cooked to order and plentiful. We were free to wander this mansion and check out the other rooms if they were unoccupied. They also gave us a tour of the church on the grounds the morning we left. When we checked in, they were hosting a wedding party - but it was really not a problem. There were lots of guests though, for the wedding, downstairs. The place was quiet, a small distance from the main road running through town, but very secluded. The grounds are extensive, they could spend a little more effort on grounds upkeep, but other than that, they are also nice.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to The Mansion at Elfindale? Share your experiences!