“potential” 3 of 5 stars

Columbia, Missouri
10 attraction reviews
“potential”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

I grew up in Spfld and we spent spring break visiting family. When I was young, I had my artwork displayed in some of the yearly 'all school exhibitions' and knew my 10 y/o son would enjoy seeing other kid's artwork. Additionally, we love animals, so having Audubon's exhibit was a great draw.
Since I was here many years ago, they have expanded and improved the museum. They had worksheets for kids to engage them in the exhibits, and I was so happy to see my son busy sketching after being inspired by the other kids work.

However, we almost left before we got started. When entering the museum, several staff behind the counter looked up at us- seeming surprised and even agitated by our presence. I thought I was at the 'wrong' entrance (there is only 1!) and checked my watch, but we were well within open hours. We finally asked if there was a fee, and if we could take a tour. A woman then said it was free, we could help ourselves to the brochures, to not use flash photography, not to touch the art, and to stay at least 12 inches back from it. As I had left my giant strobe flashes and "I love to fondle art" T-shirt in the car, this greeting startled me a little. A bit more welcoming woman tried to make up for the abrupt intro by showing our son where the kids worksheets were.

The exhibits were good. It is free to tour. If staff could improve their welcoming, this could be a nice retreat.

Visited March 2014

Ontario
55 attraction reviews
“Small”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

If you like Art Museum you might enjoy this small museum. I wasn't impressed..but that is just me. I'm not a fan of art museums. There just wasn't much to see ..

Visited April 2013
Sarcoxie, Missouri
7 attraction reviews
“wonderful museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

This museum was wonderful to see. Took my granddaughter to see all the art. Didn't know about this place until I read reviews on here. I was glad that we got to go and see.

Visited February 2014
Missouri, USA
11 attraction reviews
“looks small, packed full”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

This looks like a little place in an odd location. I went there with my son and his girlfriend for the watercolor show. It was great and far more rooms than I thought would be packed in there.

Visited August 2013
Dallas, Texas
22 attraction reviews
“I am at awe....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I love looking a things..... where else to go, but a museum and wow this place is amazing. I love to see the talents people possess and some times its like what were they thinking?? I will come here again its worth the trip and its amazing what folks will showcase..... as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder......

Visited January 2014