“Unexpected Encounter” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 49 hotels in Springfield
Des Moines, Iowa
“Unexpected Encounter”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

I read many glowing reviews on this hotel, so expected good things for our family. One of the first things we saw as we turned into the hotel was a large Girls and Dance sign in a small building adjoining the hotel's parking lot. Not a good sign. My husband talked to the staff and was able to check out a room. The room was okay, but he said it smelled in the hotel and saw clothes just laying around in the hallway. Meantime, I hung out in the entry-way and wandering down the hall toward a conference/meeting area saw chunks of the wall missing and paint gone. It didn't look well kept. Another "dance club" nearby had free admission with a room card. We decided on many fronts, this was definitely not a great family stay and were surprised no reviews have mentioned it. Even after telling our friends, they shared how people know it's not in a great spot and it's a so, so place. We've had many good experiences, so thankful this hasn't been the norm with on-line booking. Hope this helps other who may be better off at the Lamplighter Inn & Suites North or stay where we did in the Greenstay.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
busymom44, Front Office Manager at Lamplighter Inn & Suites South, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
I would like to thank you for taking time to give us a review.It is a disappointment that you decided not to stay with our hotel in order to experience the level of service and quality that you have read about in our previouis guest reviews.Our location is popular among travelers because we are centrally located amongst major businesses such as the Bass Pro Shop amd the Battlefield Mall.Unfortunately,because we are located in such a metropolitan area, there are some businesses that are not family friendly.I would like to assure you as well as any travelers considering our property that we are in no way affilated with such businesses and ensure the security of our guests through 24 hr video surveillance as well as security personnel.We do strive for the upmost in cleanlines and want to thank you for the mention of possible guest items littering the hallway,as we have since instituted hourly checks of our room halls to prevent your experience from happening in the future.In closing, it is our top priority to continually improve upon our facilities and service and we hope that should you ever visit Springfield again,you will reconsider staying with the Lamplighter family.

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011 via mobile

Everything exceeded expectations. I will never stay at another hotel in springfield

• Stayed July 2011
busymom44, Front Office Manager at Lamplighter Inn & Suites South, responded to this review, July 31, 2011
As front desk manager,let me say Thank You on behalf of all our staff here at Lamplighter South.We greatly appreciate your stayinjg with us.We try very hard to provide good quality at a reasonable price.We look forward to your next visit.
Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

My stay at the Lamplighter was very comfortable. Nice rooms, friendly atmosphere, helpful staff. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Petersburg, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel because my mom was in st. johns hospital. They.have a special agreement with the hospital.
The people are incredibly helpful and kind. And,while I wasn't expecting the taj mahal at the price, believe me I was soo pleasantly surprised.
It is an older motel but they have upgraded the rooms and they come closer to Drury inns than motel 6 (the motel 6 is the same prce yet soo much worse)
They accept dogs, have a wonderful pool and the rooms have a refrigerator and microwave as well as an internet hookup (not wifi but for the price bring a cable!

Also, the. Tv isn't hi def but again, the pluses so outweigh the picky negatives.
they also have a restaurant semi attached that has good basic food and will do room service if fully staffed.

Bottom line : this is a good fit for families who don’t want to spend the whole vacation budget on lodging, but want a pool available in the summer and everyone else who is looking for a good deal. Nice people trying really hard to please.

• Stayed July 2010
busymom44, Front Office Manager at Lamplighter Inn & Suites South, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
First of all,let me say Thank You for choosing to stay with us at Lamplighter South.We realize that there are many choices available to you as a guest.We do try to go above and beyond our guests expectations.I hope you are able to come back and visit us in the future just for fun !!!!!!!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011 via mobile

I was so pleased with the service my husband and I received at this hotel. The staff were all very helpful and friendly and the hot breakfast was an unexpected treat! We will definitely stay there again on our next visit to Springfield.

• Stayed June 2011
busymom44, Front Office Manager at Lamplighter Inn & Suites South, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
Greetings, and thank-you for your positive feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Lamplighter South! Our full hot breakfast has indeed become a very popular treat. We hope that you visit us again soon!
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2009

This hotel was great. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the attached restaurant was convenient (open 24 hours) and made good food. The internet wasn't the fastest, but it worked consistently. They had a good cable lineup, too, which was nice during my boring down times between working.

All in all this has been my favorite hotel I have visited on business yet. I would reccomend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Waldorf, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for one overnight during July 2008. The room was paid for by someone else but I believe the rate was around $60 and overall a good value. The hotel is very "homey," including a large lobby with comfortable chairs and a big screen TV. There is also a 24hr reasonably priced resturant attached to the hotel. They have a nice outdoor pool with small slide for the little ones. The pool furniture seemed new or at least in good condition. Watch out though, the floor of the pool is very slippery. The rooms were spacious and included a fridge and microwave. The beds were comfy as well; soft but firm. If in the area again I would chose this hotel for the value and comfort offered. This review is for Lamplighter South only - I'm not sure of differences between this one and the North location.

• Liked — Overall comfortable feeling at hotel
  • Disliked — Slippery pool
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
busymom44, Front Office Manager at Lamplighter Inn & Suites South, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
I want to say thank you for staying with us at Lamplighter South.We do appreciate your choosing us.Im so glad that you enjoyed your stay.Im sorry about the pool being slippery on the bottom.We have solved this problem by draining and cleaning the pool.I ihope that yu get a chance to come see us again soon.

Been to Lamplighter Inn & Suites South? Share your experiences!