“Military friendly on the outside...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 23 hotels in Saint Robert
NY
“Military friendly on the outside...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Room is fine, pool clean, amenities available, and breakfast usual. So, why the 3?

Here's the lowdown... If you're visiting to see your son or daughter's graduation, this is a very fine place to stay and currently only $82 per night. When you arrive, you'll notice military personnel also staying in the hotel at the Government rate of $80 per night. And they'll seem happy and won't complain, because they've lived in tents, slept in mud, and many have survived combat zones, so staying at an HIE is darn good in comparison.

BUT what you won't see and what HIE-Saint Robert won't tell you is that because the military folks spend $2 less per night, they're not entitled to linen changes, fresh towels, or even daily trash removal. Nope, 2x/week is all they get. And why? There's literally a form they have to fill out saying that their rate is so much cheaper than the normal rate that to remain in business and willing to offer the rate, the management had to take this unfortunate step.

And you know what? I was okay with that... I've never seen it before, but fine. Until, of course, I got bored and searched for a room at the normal rate... See for yourself: compare your daily rate to the Govt rate of $80. Not a substantial difference for a normal room, is it?

So, here's the thing: you want to earn IHG points, or like HIE, or just want something nice and clean in a town where that's hard to come by, this is a fine hotel. But just know that you're supporting a business that feigns support while taking advantage of young, don't know better servicemembers.

If you can handle that feeling while in town, presumably to celebrate your son/daughter's entry or progression into the service, good for you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
PJF49, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Saint Robert-Fort Leonard Wood, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for choosing our property when you recently visited the Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo. area.
We wanted to clarify a couple of things for you based on your recent review of our property.

Apparently there seems to be a misunderstanding. Our hotel is not $82/night every day of the week. Like every hotel across the country, the rate flucates due to supply and demand. You are correct, we honor the military per diem that is currently $80/day and provide the exact same service to every guest staying with us. Your particular stay was considered an extended stay which is seven days or longer. We are an environmentally conscience hotel, so extended stay guests are asked if they would like to participate in saving the environment, opting out of new linens and towel service everyday. This is not mandatory, purely optional. At any time the guest may inform housekeeping or the front desk if they are in need of new towels and/or linens. Whatever the guest may need to make their stay more comfortable that is within our capacity to provide for them, we will do so happily.

We are honored to live in a military town and generously support our service members. We only wish if you were upset or confused about your accomodations and/or amenities, you would have spoken to management.

Thank you again for staying with us the Holiday Inn Express in St. Robert-Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo.

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We came to make a surprise visit to see our son who is training to be a Marine MP at Fort Leonard Wood. We have not stayed here before and I went to Trip Advisor to find out what hotel everyone else thought was the best in town. After reading all the reviews we decided to stay at the Holiday Inn Express. VERY NICE. We stayed in the suite and glad we made that choice. Very happy with our decision... oh our son was surprised! Thanks Trip Advisor and Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
PJF49, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Saint Robert-Fort Leonard Wood, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express in St. Robert-Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo.

We are thrilled your stay with us was a great experience! Our goal is for every guest to be as satisfied with their stay as you were.

We want to thank your son for his service to our country. We would be honored to see you and your family again, in the future.

Thank you again for choosing our property when visiting the area!
Oak Grove, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I booked a room for a class reunion but then cancel upon others not being able to come. not once was I told that I would be charge regardless whether or not I stay by the rep (specialist). I was charged one night for the room. when I brought it up to the general mgr. once finding out that I was charged she stated that it was a discount and they weren't refunding my money. although I didn’t stay there and wasn't told, I would be charged for the room regardless. who in their right mind would book a room and not stay in it at least one night that they are going to be charged for anyways if they were told this at the time of their reservation. don't nobody have money to throw away like that unless you are rich and got it like that. All in a nutshell, Holiday Inn Express of St. Roberts and IHG CORP would rather loss a customer/tell customer to have bank to dispute the charges (guest relations) than to settle the issue at hand, that was the bad communication upon their end. Especially when reservations were made directly through the hotel in which I (personally talked to their (specialist) that knows they are to go over the guidelines with the customer and didn't) was going to be staying at. This is bad business. Before you make a reservation (learning experience for me) PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, GET ALL THE INFO, TERMS, STIPULATIONS, RULES AND REGULATIONS BEFORE HANGING UP THE PHONE WITH THEIR RESERVATION (SPECIALIST). FOR THEY AREN'T RESPONSIBLE IF YOU HANG UP AND THEY DIDNT GIVE YOU THE PROPER INFO OF THEIR ESTABLISHMENT FOR THE JOB THEY GET PAID TO DO IS TO PROVIDE A RESERVATION AND DEALS ABOUT WHAT SHOULD AND WOULD HAPPEN IF YOU

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
PJF49, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Saint Robert-Fort Leonard Wood, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express in St. Robert-Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo.

Immediately upon reading your review, we conducted a thorough investigation into these allegations. Please let us clarify how this particular type of reservation works. On the "Book Early and Save" reservations, the guest is guaranteed a discounted rate and savings by booking and paying for the reservation in its entirety.

Unfortunately, there are no records in our system or the central reservation system that indicate, whatsoever, that a cancellation was made or attempted.

Technically this is an advanced purchase rate and is non-refundable. Instead of charging you for the full reservation, as a courtesy to you, we only charged for one night.

We hope this better clarifies the situation and provides you a better understanding.

Thank you for your patronage.
Jefferson City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I was on orders and called to get prices. I was quoted $80 , which met allocation. When I arrived, I was charged an extra $10 for having a dependent and another $10 for misc taxes and fees. I tried to discuss this with the worker at the front desk and they were less than helpful, telling me my orders were not to their specifications, even though it was a standard order. Also, I reserved the room under my spouse, needed to change it to my name later and they were unable to change the name on the reservation. I am not sure if they really could not change it, or just didn't want to deal with it. We have stayed here many times before, but we will never be back. It's clean, but the workers are not there to be helpful, just to collect a pay check.

• Stayed July 2013
PJF49, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Saint Robert-Fort Leonard Wood, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Express in St. Robert-Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo. We appreciate your business and value our guests.

We investigated the matter and want to clarify how this particular military rate is offered. This rate (per diem) is only for military guests visiting the area on orders. This particular rate is a government rate issued to military service members. Paperwork is required and needs to be presented at time of check-in. This is a military rate and is $80 per night - per one adult. Additional adults over the age of 18 are charged $10 per night. If additional family members are listed on your paperwork, the goverment allows for these additional fees and reinbursement. If the goverment does not have a family member(s) listed on their (your) orders, then the guest is responsible for additional charges incurred. Additional charges are noted at time of reservation and visible on the website, then confirmed again on your reservation paperwork. There is no additional charge for children under the age of 18.

Regarding the tax and hotel charges, this fees comes directly from our state tax and our local tourism bureau. This is called a tourism tax and is standard across the country. We do not have anything to do with this charge, nor control the fees. Please feel free to contact the local tourism bureau if you need further clarification.

Lastly, we cannot change the name on a reservation once a guest has checked in. We can alter the dates, the room type, change the number of guests in the room and the room number, but we cannot change the name on the reservation. This rule and regulation is part of our corporate policies and procedures. It is also implemented for your privacy and security.

We hope this clarifies the matter and brings an understanding to the government rates and our corporate hotel policies and procedures.

Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Express in St. Robert-Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo. We do appreciate your business and hope to see you again in the future.
Ellijay GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed 3 nights while my niece graduated from Ft. Leonard Wood. Good parking, very clean, big pool, nice exercise room , and a better than usual breakfast. The queen sized beds were way too
soft for my back! They did forget to clean our room 1 of the 3 days.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kapolei, HI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel from July 1 - July 4 to attend my nephew's graduation located at Fort Leonard Wood military base. Had nothing less than superb service. The front desk clerks, housekeepers and dining room employees were very pleasant to speak with. Lobby and room was clean. Thank you for the wonderful stay.

• Stayed July 2013
Snellville, GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Bottom line up front this hotel does not recognize platinum elite status for those guests staying under the government rate and if using this rate they charge an additional fee of $10 per person starting with the second individual regardless of age. This makes it cheaper for a family of 4+ traveling or PCSing to use any other available rate.
In planning to PCS from Ft Leonard Wood, we originally placed reservations for 2 rooms listed as 2 queen beds standard, checking in on 5 June and checking out on 7 June. When we got an earlier move date for our household good I went to begin our reservations 2 days earlier but still checking out on the same day. The only rates available were 40% higher than our original reservation so I made the first 2 nights a reservation for a suite so not to exceed our budget while still giving us the same amount of room. A few weeks before the start of our reservation I stopped by the hotel to see what the possibility of getting 1 of the original 2 rooms upgraded to a suite for being a platinum member so we wouldn’t have to switch rooms halfway through our stay with a bunch of suitcases for a family of 5. I was told they could make a note but couldn’t confirm it until the week of the reservation based on availability, which is understandable, but that if we kept the original rooms under the government rate the property owners consider this their per diem rate and charge an additional $10 per person regardless of age starting with the 2nd person in the room. This is not listed anywhere on the priority club website or on our reservation. Four days before our reservations I received a call from a hotel employee asking about our 3 separate reservations. I explained the situation and then was told they could keep us in the suite for the entire time at the rates we had already reserved rooms at. I agreed to this as I explained the limits of our budget. When we arrived to check in the initial reservation showed for 4 nights at a rate higher than any rate that I had reserved or agreed upon for any of the 3 reservations I had originally made. Having planned on not switching rooms for the duration of the stay based on the phone conversation, we brought along everything we planned to take with us instead of leaving some unneeded items at the house until the final move out day when we would have been in the final room not having to move everything from one room to the next. As we were changing around reservations, I was told again about the additional rate charge under the military per diem rate. We finally decided to cancel the second room in order to stay under allowable budget for the move and stay squeezed together in one room. This was after checking availability at the candlewood suites but to no avail. The following morning I spoke with the General Manager and she confirmed everything I had been told even when I showed her that our original reservations made no mention of an additional charge she said there was, but offered to not charge us for our 3 children (2 of which are not even school age yet). The hotel was nice and the front desk clerks were nice and helpful to the extent the management would allow, but the discriminatory practices only towards those staying under the military/ government rate along with the secretive extra charges made this one of the worst experiences ever at an IHG hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Saint Robert-Fort Leonard Wood, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear priority_club_trvlr,

We value you as our Priority Club Rewards Member and while we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Saint Robert-Fort Leonard Wood? Share your experiences!