“Best restaurant in the St. Charles area!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Pforzheim
“Best restaurant in the St. Charles area!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Love El Maguey and their excellent food! The staff is super friendly and remembers you when you come back several times. I have never had a dish there which I did not enjoy, and the food is usually served within 5-10 minutes. El Maguey is probably the best and most authentic mexican food that I had so far, and I mostly leave the restaurant with a to-go box of food that I was unable to finish. They just serve you so much for the price!

I also love to go there with friends to have margaritas, which are delicious and include just the right amount of tequila. They serve different sizes from which you can choose depending on how thirsty you are, and they also have happy hours with even cheaper prices. Definitely the best margaritas in the area!!

Whenever I have friends visiting, I take them here, and I never heard any complaints about their food, drinks, or service. If you are on a budget, this is your place to go, as you get a ridiculous amount of homemade food and margarita for a cheap price. El Maguey is also in walking distance from Lindenwood University, perfect for students without a car or who want to have a drink without having to drive. Only bummer - they close around 10 p.m. on the weekends. Wish they were open longer!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Saint Charles, Missouri
“Good food, Great Service, Excellent price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We just moved here from out of state and were looking for a decent mexican place. Went here on the Sunday of the big snow storm and yet there were still people here eating. That was our sign that it was good food. We weren't disappointed. Very friendly waitstaff, hot, fresh food and good prices. We had the fajita nachos which is something we love, but couldn't find at another restaurant we tried. Yum!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saint Charles, Missouri
“Good, regular Mexican fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Easy on the budget, El Maguey has great margaritas & good, consistent food. Clean & well maintained, this El Maguey has been in our neighborhood for years. Nothing fancy, just standard Mexican food.

Visited November 2012
Saint Peters, Missouri
“Great food and good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Good food and we enjoy the wait staff. Never go away hungry and the price is right! Chips and salsa are always fresh and yummy. Love the chicken fajita taco salad, I think that's the name. Clean and enjoyable.

Visited January 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Not Mexican or Tex Mex....some sort of Midwest Mex”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Having moved to the area from the Southwestern part of the county this can not be considered authentic mexican food. I would have given it one star but the food is not bad it just is not Mexican or Tex Mex. This is the first "mexican" restaurant that I have ever seen that uses American cheese in the food (they trick you by using white american and telling you "queso blanco" meaning "white cheese"). There is a traditional mexican cheese by this name as well but it was not used (the server was honest when I questioned the taste). Like I said the food is not bad it just needs to be called correctly like Tex Mex is different than Mexican. This kind of Midwest Mexican needs a new name to seperate it from the truely Mexican restaurants in the St. Louis/St. Charles area.

• Visited January 2013