“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Plaza Hotel - Downtown Convention Center

You added Ramada Plaza Hotel - Downtown Convention Center to your Saves list
Ramada Plaza Hotel - Downtown Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   811 North 9th Street, Saint Louis, MO 63101 (Formerly Holiday Inn Select St. Louis - Downtown (Conv Center))   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #88 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Shrewsbury
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2007

I know it's boring to start off a review with "after reading some of the reviews on here I was fearing the worst" but it's absolutely true. Obviously we were either very lucky or the hotel has bucked its ideas up. We arrived late on a Friday night and were dealt with very prompty and politely before being shown to a clean, decent-sized room. The rooms seems to surround the small indoor pool and jacuzzi. We only used the bar once but it was very nice with a chatty barmaid. As for the location; people have described it as being in a bad part of town. Let's face it, St Louis is a typical big city but the location of the hotel only looks bad because it is right behind the massive convention centre. Within a 1 minute walk, we were on a busy street with bars and restaurants and only a 10 minute walk from Laclede's Landing with its plethora of eateries and bars. Another 5 minutes gets you to the Arch and waterfront. We had a very good stay here and would recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

I wanted to stay in the downtown St. Louis area, and booked this hotel through the Holiday inn website when I found it was available at a decent rate. The mattress needed to be replaced. It was too saggy and not very comfortable. My other main complaint was lots of noise on the floor. There were lots of party people staying at the hotel for either a family reunion or a church event. Someone brought their dogs with them. It sounded like 2-3 dogs were locked in a room on my floor, barking. I told the front desk when I checked out and they called someone to look into it. If the dogs had not been quiet during the night, you bet the hotel would have heard from me. I liked the fact that they had lots of vending machines on the ground floor; I got a salad from one of the machines that ended up being a meal for me at a very reasonable price. It was fresh and tasted good.

• Liked — downtown location
  • Disliked — noise, dogs in the hotel rooms,
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2007

Disgusting bathrooms!!! Hair on floor, in tub and toilet upon our
arrival and it was very apparent the room had not been cleaned for a while. Stains on doors, dust accumulation on A/C unit controls would have required gloves to use!
Had to wear shoes while walking around the room due to the gross
carpet and the obvious lack of vacuuming that took place during our 4 day stay!
Negotiations with staff were useless, as cleanliness is obviously not a concern at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2007

Staff were all friendly. However, service was difficult to come by. After requesting twice to have our bathroom cleaned, we ended up borrowing cleaning supplies from maid's cart and cleaned it ourselves. One time a maid did arrive to clean, just as we were leaving the room. Somehow she beat us downstairs! Upon arrival, we received a roll-away bed which was broken in at least three places. It was not clean, either. A friend in the next room had a medical emergency and the hotel shuttle would not take her to a medical facility.

Stayed July 2007
ORLANDO, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

I got there 30 minutes hour before check-in time. They wanted to givve me a call on my cell phone to let me know when the room might be ready. When they were ready to check me in they did not have the type of room I requested. I don't smoke so I really wanted a non-smoking, I would have to wait until the room was clean. It was not worth the wait room still dirty.

The service is slow and rude. I tried to order room service with the pre-order request you put on the door. I makred everything that needed to be checked, only to call room service and them not answer. I know that have caller ID, they called me back to ask did I order room service. When they got to my room they told me they lost my request. This is not true because they had my order right but not the time I requested it.

They claim to have internet access, but you better have your own wireless card because they ran out of the adapter that you need to get internet access. The told me that they would call me when one is turned in. They never called! The business center smelled and only had one internet connection. The hotel was not full.

The front desk people were rude and not helpful. You better make sure you understand about the parking or you will pay retail price.

This was my third visit to STL love the city hate the HOLIDAY INN - DOWNTOWN. Íf you priceline bid 4 star or higher or you just may get this dump.

Stayed May 2007
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2007

My son and i stayed at the holiday inn select during the first week of April. We have stayed at many of the downtown St Louis hotels over the years but this was the first time at the holiday inn select. it was one of the few hotels we found for under a $100 during the Cardinals homestands so we booked it on Priceline. It is a bit further away from Busch stadium than some of the others but not too bad. we walked to the stadium twice and it's about a mile or so walk, but not bad. there is the Metro Link a few blocks away from the hotel that can take you anywhere, but we decided it was easy enough to walk and eat/shop along the way.
overall the hotel was nice, room was clean, parking across the street was free and easy enough to get in/out of. the hotel was very easy to find off I-70E and easy access to the freeways. the room was larger than average which was nice and the desk staff was very friendly. the only strage thing is that they have a "bar" in the lobby, but they don't have a liquor licsense so its sodas only with your meals.
we liked the hotel and made reservations when we checked out for 3 nights in July during the Cards/Cubs series.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Ramada Plaza Hotel - Downtown Convention Center? Share your experiences!