“I'd try somewhere else” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Plaza Hotel - Downtown Convention Center

You added Ramada Plaza Hotel - Downtown Convention Center to your Saves list
Ramada Plaza Hotel - Downtown Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   811 North 9th Street, Saint Louis, MO 63101 (Formerly Holiday Inn Select St. Louis - Downtown (Conv Center))   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #88 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Springfield
“I'd try somewhere else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

Location, pool and the ability to get a smoking room were the reasons we chose this hotel. An "Executive King" I will forgo smoking and stay elsewhere nextime. Check-in is supposed to be at 4 pm, it was more like 5:25 pm before we got to our room because it was not ready and we are Priority Club Members. Luckily they have a lobby bar thats not too bad. We would have just left and went to another hotel if wouldnt have been charged. Staff didnt seemed to be phased in the least. The room didnt have the linens necessary to make up the sleeper sofa and it took another hour and a half and more phone calls to get just sheets. 3 burned out light bulbs, dirty room. I was not impressed to say the least. But stuck all the same. Pool is a tiny postage stamp. On the plus side we did have good food twice from room service.

Room Tip: We had an exterior room on a very noisy street. Very thin walls.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Joshua E, Director of Sales at Ramada Plaza Hotel - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, October 21, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I am saddened to hear that your stay at our hotel was not completely enjoyable. I will certainly share your review with our General Manager, Front Office Manager and Director of Housekeeping to make sure that we can improve our product and service. It is critical to our operation that we understand our guests’ experiences. Please feel free to contact me personally with any additional issues. Thank you again, and I hope that you will give the Holiday Inn Select another opportunity to serve you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

I was very concerned about staying here after reading some of the prior reviews, however, my experience was satisfactory. I was only here for one night during mid-week on business. The location was excellent for my needs. The hotel is adjacent to the Convention Center and a short walk to the MetroLink rail transit station. There are several restaurants within nearby walking distance on Washington Street so you're not trapped at the hotel restaurant.

Although the lobby looks newly remodeled and modern, the rest of the hotel looks like a vintage "Holidome" style of Holiday Inn with an enclosed inner atrium featuring a pool, hot tub and game room. My room faced the atrium and pool and I could hear the noise from the pool area but fortunately nobody was using the pool after 8pm. However, I can sympathize with some of the prior reviewers if they stayed here on nights where the pool was being used late.

TIP - Ask for a room facing outside rather than facing the atrium if pool noise would bother you more than potential street noise.

My room was clean and comfortable in a classic Holiday Inn style - but not remodeled for several years and was not brought into the new Holiday Inn decor. The carpet had some minor stains, but I would not describe it as dirty. Same with the bathroom - it showed some wear but was very clean, well-lit and functioning.

The bed was very comfortable and I was impressed with the quality of the linens and pillows. To me the bed comfort is very important and this hotel was better than average in my opinion for bed comfort.

Some prior reviews expressed concern over the AC. My room had a thermostat that stated the room has a "continuous air flow" system and setting the thermostat temperature will provide air within a two-degree range of the setting. The room was comfortable when I walked in and so I didn't adjust it. (It was set at 70.) I stayed in mid-September so the outside temperature was comfortable. When I woke up the room was cold with the thermometer indicating 62 (even though it was still set at 70). I raised the thermostat and could later feel warmer air coming out of the vent, but I checked out before the temperature ever got above 65. So perhaps some of the previous concerns about the AC/heat are truly an issue at this hotel - I can't say for sure. With the continuous air flow system, the guest has no ability to adjust the fan speed. There was air coming out of the single vent, but I could see the potential desire to increase the air flow during hot or cold days.

Overall, this hotel is OK but by no means any better than "average". There are several other nearby "high-end" hotels, but depending on the rates, this hotel could be a potential "good-value" choice.

Room Tip: Rooms facing atrium may experience pool noise - ask for outer facing room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Moberly
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

We stayed here for a Rams game and the greatest part of this hotel is definitely the location. It is a little pricey for the style/type of hotel that it is, but again, you're really paying for the location. The pool is pretty small, but was fine for the two teenage boys we had along. There is no sauna or whilrpool The staff was very friendly. However, we had requested adjoining rooms and had made it a point to tell them at the time of reservation as well as calling ahead the day of arrival to confirm that we would have adjoining rooms due to the kids traveling with us. We were informed that they cannot guarantee the adjoining rooms as there are only 4 sets of them in the entire hotel. They did get us diagonally across the hall from each other so it wasn't a total loss -- but something you should be aware of if traveling with teenagers.

The bar staff was very friendly and accomodating. If you're looking for a good breakfast, I would suggest one of the other restaurants that are close walking distance as the breakfast "buffet" did not look that appealing.

Room Tip: Pool is open until ten and can be noisy if you're on an interior room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Irving, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The only good thing about this place is that its so close to the convention center. The carpets looked like they have never been cleaned since they were laid. I had a room with windows facing the pool and lobby and there were people making noise all night. I could hear the people in the next room and their carnal activities. I woke up every morning with new spider bites. The staff were very friendly, though. However, I will never stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

ARRIVAL: Taxi from the airport to hotel approximately
US$45. Priority Club members will have the normal
recognition and greeting. Some staff are excellent and
very helpful whilst others should not be in contact with
the public. Just my opinion!
SECURITY: Anyone can walk into the hotel lobby and
take the lift to any floor without the use of a key card -
the hotel only has 5 floors. There are no in room safes,
however, they have security boxes at the front desk.
ROOMS: No problem with traffic noise but the air
conditioners are a little noisy.
TIP: There is a great supermarket called “Culinaria”
which sells everything from bottles of wine to
sandwiches which are made to order. Also a great
self serve salad bar. When you exit the hotel
(in 9th Avenue) turn right and the supermarket is
about 4 blocks up on the corner - heaps of tables
along the footpath if you want to eat what you buy.
INTERNET: Free internet and it works very well
with no problems or drop outs.
SIGHTSEEING: The Arch - about 25 minutes walk
from the hotel - buy a package which includes a
Mississippi river cruise for $24 and a ride to the top
of the arch and back. Exit at the top of the Arch and
enjoy the view - you can see the viewing windows
from ground level if you have good eyesight.
Going to the top of the Arch is somewhat of an
adventure and can be a little cramped in the
carriage which only holds 5 people per unit.
Take a brewery tour for free - taxi from the hotel to
the brewery about US$15 each way. Excellent tour
which also includes your choices of free beer and
non alcoholic drinks plus snacks at the conclusion
No need to book - just turn up.
Tours depart about every hour or so at the brewery.
Union Station - Once the largest and busiest railway
station in the world.
Science Center and Planetarium - a must see for
kids - hands on interaction.
OVERVIEW: Hotel is in a good position and rooms
at a good price - if you are not happy with your room
they will bend over backwards to please you!
TRIVIA: St. Louis hosted the 1904 World’s Fair and
also the 3rd world Olympic Games.

Room Tip: Check out the airconditioning unit before you sign anything as they are fairly noisy.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Detroit, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I was worried after booking and reading the bad reviews but it was a nice place. Room was clean if a tad dated. Hallways were lit well and there was art throughout the building. Pool noise can be excessive but they close at 10PM and there was a birthday party going on when we were there. Walking distance to Arch and Busch Stadium. Nice area of restaurants nearby, even a large grocery store down the street. Nice bar, great bartender, nice bar menu. Front desk staff were very nice, too.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

I stayed at this hotel while attending a conference for work last fall. The location is very convenient to the convention center and close enough to restaurants and entertainment. The staff was very friendly and were able to check us into our room early, which always a huge plus in my book! The on-site restaurant/ bar had a friendly bartender and reasonably priced drinks (another plus!).

The only thing I found odd was the layout of the hotel. It's a little outdated and the inner circle rooms look out over the indoor pool. The inner rooms do not have windows that let in natural light; the only window is the one facing the indoor pool. Personally, I don't know how comfortable I would feel swimming in the pool knowing that for many guests the only view they had from their rooms was of me.... swimming in the pool. I tend to be more paranoid about this stuff than most, but again, it's a little odd. However, aside from tearing down the building and starting from scratch, I am not sure there is much the hotel can do to change the layout.

Overall, the layout isn't enough to deter me from staying here again. The location, cleanliness, and friendly staff more than make up for this small defect.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view from outside.
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Been to Ramada Plaza Hotel - Downtown Convention Center? Share your experiences!