“not a fan” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Fox Theatre

The Fox Theatre
527 N. Grand Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63103 (Grand Center / Midtown)
314.534.1678
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 319 things to do in Saint Louis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The Fabulous Fox Theatre first opened in 1929 as a movie palace in William Fox's motion picture empire. The theatre was reopened in 1982, and today it is one of the most exquisite venues in the country to enjoy live touring Broadway shows, concerts, and comedians. We hope you'll visit us for an upcoming show or one of our guided tours!
Saint Louis, Missouri
27 attraction reviews
“not a fan”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

i used to love this place. not a fan anymore. scenery isn't pleasant around the theatre and parking is awful, traffice is awful, no eating places. the venue itself is still lovely on the inside but needs a few updates to it. not sure what would make me go back.

Southern Illinois
42 attraction reviews
“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I love the Fox! It is the most beautiful theater I've ever been in. I do not like sitting under the balcony though - visited for Blue Man Group and being under the balcony, makes it feel like a smaller theater than it is. For Wicked, we sat in the balcony and being able to see the greatness of the theater is amazing! The ceiling is so beautiful. Lower balcony seats are the best seats in the house.

Visited December 2012
Lynchburg, Virginia, United States
“Great theater, but be picky about where you sit.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I've only been the this theater twice, and I had a pretty pleasant experiences both times.

The only thing I could say poorly about it is that if you sit in a certain spot in the middle of the balcony, you hear more of the orchestra than the actors themselves.

Now.. this may have just been this particular show (which was Phantom of the Opera) but it was rather disappointing having to explain to my boyfriend what was going on because he could hear the dialog well enough.

It may have been just where we were sitting we were getting a perfect overflow of the orchestra pit and not enough speaker range from the actors mics.

Anyhow.. It was still a great show and a great theater.

It has much history to it and always creates a night to remember.

Visited February 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
6 attraction reviews
“I Spy a Fox in the Hen house”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Pros:
Decor was insanely beautiful. While waiting for Wicked to start I read the Playbill which stated theatre owners dumped close to 10 million dollars into the building. It showed being every inch was decorated with the moist lavish items your eyes will ever see.

Parking was not horribly bad, came in at ten dollars for the night. It took us less than two minutes to walk to the theatre from our car.

Lottery was interesting as well. When we drove up I was scared we would be waiting in line forever but that was the Lottery line. Apparently you can arrive an hour early and throw your name in a hopper and hope for discounted tickets. If you already purchased your tickets, just skip that line and go to Will Call. That's located to the right of the lavish front entrance, just excuse yourself to the front of the line and go to the right.

Vendors was a plus too, the items weren't terribly expensive and there was several vendor stands throughout the theatre so lines weren't too bad.

Seating was great as well. There was not any seat with obstructions or pillars in the way. I was personally sitting dead center of row three of the balcony, row CC. Those were actually good seats being we could see the entire stage the whole time. I did feel bad for the balcony seats behind us being those did look like nose bleeds seats. I would suggest row EE is your cut off for viewing.

Cons:
Lines during intermission is a huge problem so do yourself a favor and go to the bathroom before the play starts.

Notes:
There is a place to eat directly to the right of the theatre which is surprisely good! if you plan to get a bite before the show, arrive at least 60-90mins before the start of the play. We arrived at 6:00 for our 8:00 showing. Grabbed our tickets from Will Call, then headed to the Diner. By 6:20 we were seated, and our food arrived by 6:45 our food arrived. I was in my theatre seat by 7:45. It was perfect timing.

Tuscola, IL
5 attraction reviews
“Simply Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

What a great theatre!!! Orante and detailed over the top magnificent- excatly what you want a theatre to be. My friend and I attended the musical Wicked and I'm very excited to return and see another show soon! Parking was easy and seats were comfortable and I don't think there was a bad seat in the house!

Visited January 2013