“The nits are there, but they're small ones” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel St. Louis

You added Four Seasons Hotel St. Louis to your Saves list
Four Seasons Hotel St. Louis
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   999 North Second Street, Saint Louis, MO 63102 (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Hotel Credit
Ranked #3 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Big City, Missouri
“The nits are there, but they're small ones”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2008

We'd not had a chance to sample the new FS in St. Louis and a business trip gave us the opportunity. The structure is a terrific piece of construction and design. A good valet parking arrival helps and this one was no exception. Reception is on the eighth floor and the elegant architecture (very modern) is quite a change from many otherwise pretty-good hotels. The entire effect is extremely pleasing (provided you like glass and stone and lots of both). Checkin was smooth and our room faced south to The Arch. The views to the south and the east (the Mississippi River) are very nice. The Metro rail link that connects to the STL airport is about two blocks away, so a car to get there is not necessary, however it's somewhat removed from the rest of downtown.

The rooms are very modern in design and have all the little touches one expects in a luxury property. One very welcome addition is the adequacy of power receptacles at the desk where the internet is. Surprisingly, (compared to, say, a competitor like Peninsula Hotels) they charge $10 a night for internet access. I had clicked on the icon before I realized it wasn't complementary, but the front desk handled the removal very courteously.

Dinner at Cielo, the main restaurant, was delicious and very well-prepared, as one would expect in a FS property. Service for dinner was very good.

The guest room had good blackout draperies, excellent (plasma?) flat-screen TV and superb bedding. The bathroom has a shower comparable to the Peninsula Chicago (high praise in our household) but the bathtub fills very slowly. It's a biig tub and the problem is either small piping or low water pressure, or both. There's a separate room for the toilet. Good towels, soaps, the normal FS amenities. Housekeeping, at least in our room, was excellent.

The only bumps came the next morning: breakfast service was irregular, and there seemed to be a lot of inefficient moving around and missed opportunities for excellent service and there were not that many breakfast guests. Orange juice wasn't poured unti requested, long after the order that included it was taken. One of the breads was missing from the order and had to be separately requested. The very standard check-back after the main breakfast dishes had been delivered was a loooooong time coming. With some more training and more eagle-eyed oversight at breakfast (different waiters from the evening) they'll get it fixed. They are clearly trying, and that counts for a lot. The breakfast food was excellent. The prices are not surprising for a FS or equivalent but it's pretty hard not to hit $60 for a full breakfast for two.

The part that was very baffling was that at checkout well after 8AM there were no $1 bills at the checkout cashier. None. Zip. And this in a property next to.........a CASINO. It's supposed to be the "little things" that count in a FS operation. There was no way to break a $5 bill, according to the reception desk. That's unbelievable. And they already knew they were out when we checked out, so it was not a surprise. The car was brought up immediately upon being requested.

Service overall was very cheerful. Some of the art in the public spaces, and the lighting of the art, is truly spectacular. The overall design and experience is excellent.

• Liked — absolutely superb new construction
  • Disliked — location--somewhat removed
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Arabic first
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2008

Having stayed at a number of the top properties in St Louis, I would like to affirm that the Four Seasons is the absolute best in the City. From the moment that you arrive, you will find exceptional service, facilities and food. I was at this hotel when they first opened and they were strong then. I particularly liked the bar and restaurant and that remains true. Relative to other Four Seasons across the Country, this place is a steal. Enjoy.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
wayne city illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

Our weekend was an anniversary getaway that was overpriced and a the end way over priced . The hotel room was wonderful! We had requested a fridge before arrival and it didnt get there till midnight and I would rather have had a jacuzzi tub which they didnt have in any of there rooms. The rest of the stay wasnt to bad we got the package for 488 with breakfast and massage for 2. They really need to have a jacuzzi that both the husband and wife can use together. They have one outside but the weather was not made for it that weekend. The real problem was when we got home to find that they charged our card almost double of what it was suppose to be. That was a real mess . They charged use twice for the massage. wont stay there again

• Liked — bed
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

Our story starts a little unusually. I had planned a surprise overnight for my husband's birthday. I kept it a surprise until the morning of his birthday. I purchased the $395 spa package, which included two massages and breakfast.

Well, as we all know, things don't always go as planned. The day proceeded to bring us an unusual spell of dizziness and vertigo, a fender bender, and then four hours in the emergency room.

As I was driving my husband to the hospital, I called Four Seasons to cancel our reservation. They informed me that it was too late, and we would be charged in full. I said to go ahead and hold it for us then, and hopefully everything would turn out all right. I called the spa to cancel as I knew for sure we were not going to make that.

Well, everything turned out all right and we finally arrived at FS at about 5. We were told we received a complementary upgrade.

We checked in, and then checked to see if there were any massage times available as we had to cancel our earlier ones. Of course there were not as it was a very busy weekend at the hotel.

The hotel itself is impressive. Very modern, with floor to ceiling windows and impressive views of downtown St. Louis and the arch. I love the outdoor area, eight stories up off the lobby, with a fire pit, huge cushioned chairs, reflecting pool, whirlpool and heated outdoor pool.

The rooms as very modern, as well, and huge! The doors are huge, the size of the room is huge, the t.v. is huge, the bathtub is huge, the floor to ceiling windows are huge. It is sparse and sleek, not my personal style but I can certainly appreciate it. A couple of things where they went for form over function, though, were slightly annoying.

The room doors and huge and heavy. They are very loud when they close, and you can hear your neighbors' doors closing late at night and in the morning.

The toilet area is separate from the rest of the bath by a, you guessed it, huge door. Someone miscalculated the measurements and the door swings open to about and inch away from the toilet. What this means for you is that you must go into the rather small area, stand over to the opposite side of the toilet and squeeze between the toilet and the wall in order for the door to close. I would think if someone were a person of size, this could be a problem. For us, it was just funny.

The giant bathtub looked very inviting, so I decided to use it. How fun to soak in a giant tub while watching your t.v. situated in the mirror of the bathroom. Well, the water pressure is very low, and it takes a really long time to fill, so put the water hotter than you think you'll like as it cools quickly. Also, when you drain it, it makes an incredibly loud sucking noise that is loud even in the bedroom area.

As for the view, half the rooms face south and give you an incredible view of downtown, the arch, etc. The others face north and you get a view of, well, north St. Louis. Not our best advertisement for the city... vacant parking lots, abandoned buildings, etc. Actually, on Sunday a.m. it was a cool view because we opened up and the previously abandoned area was literally teaming with Ram's fans enjoying their tailgating.

All in all we really liked the room. The bed was very comfy with great linnens, good bath products, love those FS robes. I'm not sure what our upgrade was, maybe the room is slightly bigger?

One slightly odd thing... they give you a form to check what paper you want to receive in the morning. I checked USA today as we live in St. Louis and receive the St. Louis Post Dispatch. Maybe there is no USA Today on Sunday, so I got a Post Dispatch. Maybe on their card they should note if a paper isn't available on a certain day.

One slight glitch of the visit:

After checking out the room, we immediately went to Cielo's bar, as I had not eaten anything but a piece of toast all day due to unusual circumstances. We were starving. We ordered well needed (very, very expensive!) glasses of wine, a cheese plate and their truffle parmesan potato chips. Their bar menu is rather sparse, a few appetizer type things, pizza or sandwiches, not the tapas style we were expected from the websight description. It took one hour exactly to receive our food. I noted this as, as I said, we were starving. I think that is a little excessive for a cheese plate and chips. Our glasses of wine were long gone by then, but we didn't really want to spend another $40 for two more glasses. The bar area was not really busy at this time, either. I know they were setting up for a private
party, so maybe the kitchen was busy? Don't know.

Our package included breakfast, so we ordered room service. It was fine, nothing spectacular. ( a $45 or $50 credit, I was told $50, but looking at the bill they gave us $45, the not overly piggy breakfast was $62.)

I then read in a room brochure that if you cancel your spa massages within four hours, they will give you half the cost back. So we dedided to see about this. When we checked out, we told the person about our unusual circumstances the day before, and she credited back to us the full cost of both massages, a $190 credit. Now that is why I love Four Seasons and will be back!!!! Perhaps a do-over on my birthday...

• Liked — It's the Four Seasons, and they do service well.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

This is an amazing hotel. I didnt even read the reviews but if there was one negative review in there, I'd be shocked. It is the best hotel we have ever stayed in. We stayed for our wedding night and I did not want to leave. Of course, we had a deluxe suite which probably made it all the better. The staff was extremely accomodating and friendly. Our view was spectacular. All around everything about this hotel is EXCELLENT!

• Liked — Everything...the beds, the room, the view
  • Disliked — No complaints at all
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights after getting a very reasonable weekend rate of $195 on their webside. Overall, a great stay.

THE GOOD:
Brand new hotel in a sleek, modern design. Public areas were clean, well maintained, modern. Beautiful outdoor pool and bar area with a lovely view of the Arch and the city. Exceptionally pleasant and efficient staff. Larger-than-expected room, high quality towels, sheets, L'Occitaine toiletries, all the little extras you expect. Room service breakfast and drinks/food in the bar were beautifully presented, and a fair price.

THE BAD: a few, tiny little quibbles: entrance is awkward, first impression is not that great: a manned desk and then you go around the corner and take the elevator to the 8th floor for the reception. The first night, we had no turn-down service; they left a note saying they saw our 'do not disturb sign" and honoured it (but we didn't have it out). Tthe second night, we did have turn down, but there was no water or little chocolate left, nothing. Maybe they don't give any extras because we got such a great rate?. In the bar, there are no flowers or plants to decorate the tables, and it is rather empty looking. We were offered no nibbles (nuts, etc). with our bar order, and others were just handed the bottle of beer without a glass being offered. The bedside tables do not offer enough light and it was hard to read in bed. They could have been more generous with the amount of food at room service: 2 pieces of bacon and a small stack of potatoes looked lost on the plate. Internet should be free, and it should also be wireless. Location-wise, it's a 10-min. walk to the subway, and then about 4 stops to downtown which may be inconvenient to some, but I suspect most guests are driving.

Overall, a really nice stay here and I'd stay again, but only with a great rate. The Westin downtown was higher and while more convenience location wise, was not as nice a property.

• Liked — brand new, modern, clean rooms
  • Disliked — a bit out of the way location, awkward main entrance
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Southern US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

Very nice addition to the St. Louis scene. In my opinion, Four Seasons consistently delivers the best service of any of the major chains. The staff were superb, with no fewer than half a dozen greeting me by name during my short stay. The views of the Arch and river are superb. It is close enough for a comfortable walk to the Jefferson Expansion Museum and the Arch, and across the street from the Edward Jones Dome. Great pool area with excellent but unobtrusive service. Example of this hotel's fine service: I took the kids down to check out a movie from the DVD library, and we immediately returned to our room with the movie selections. Upon return to the room, we found that complementary popcorn and soft drinks had been delivered. The only thing that might be a negative to some is that it is a bit of a non-traditional set-up in that the hotel is attached to the casino and the rooms lobby is on the 8th floor, with rooms on floors 9-19. Two options for parking: valet is $25 and free self-parking. The self-parking is a bit awkward, but it is nice to have this option available at such a fine hotel. In summary, I was most impressed with the Four Seasons and will try to stay there on every return visit to St. Louis.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Four Seasons Hotel St. Louis? Share your experiences!