“Sorry I stayed here” 2 of 5 stars
Review of St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

You added St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1820 Market St, One St. Louis Union Station, Saint Louis, MO 63103 (Formerly St. Louis Union Station Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
New Year's Eve 2014
Ranked #25 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Columbia, MO, United States
“Sorry I stayed here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

I hate to be negative, but the best thing about this hotel is the cookies, and you should get one everyday you stay. I called the day before check-in to see if there were mini frigs in the room. They said no but said they would get one in the room before check-in at no charge. Well it never showed up. Totally forgotten. There was construction going on we finally found out after hearing this knocking and buzzing the two days we were there. The first morning we were there, we found out they left us one cup of coffee each. Not good. We had to go out into the hall and look for a maid to request more coffee. One cup, totally ridiculous. To keep this from happening the next day, I found a second maid and requested more coffee for the following morning. We had booked one stay with Expedia,( the first day) and the second day directly with the hotel. When we came back to our room after being out, our keys wouldn't work. So I went looking for someone to let us in our room. I found a gentlemen who came back to my room with me and tried my key. no luck, they told me I had zapped it with my phone, WRONG. They had invalidated the keys because for some reason they thought we had checked out. The gentleman trying to help me needed a photo ID before he would let me into the room and my purse was in the room. So I had to go looking for my husband with his ID. All in all a big mess that should never have happened. The valet parking at $28 is way over priced and they did not inform us that the self park was as close as the valet parking, and good grief, it was $20 a day. At a minimum it should have only been one charge for your stay. I have never been to another hotel that charged you for parking while staying in their facility. The rooms are very outdated. The bathroom had no fan and the mirror steamed over while my husband was taking a shower even with the door left wide open. I had to stay out of the bathroom until he was done and the bathroom aired out. All in all this was the worst hotel experience I have ever had. My husband paid the bill, but I would not have. In my opinion I think you should refund our money and that is what I am going to tell Expedia too.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Jeremiah E, General Manager at St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to post your review. I am so sorry that your stay was difficult and complicated--you can imagine that this is not a normal experience here at the Station otherwise we would not still be in business. I'd like to share some information with readers of this review to provide peace of mind for their upcoming stay. As of today all of our guestrooms come with a refrigerator; although this is not a DoubleTree standard we believe it is now a common comfort--so please enjoy. Each of our guestrooms also come with a 1-cup coffee maker with "to go" coffee cup, lid, and sleeve supplies for two servings. This is replenished everyday and if you know you're a heavy coffee drinker no need to wander the halls--just dial zero and we'll bring you as much as you'd like!

Regarding stays that consist of "multiple reservations" please know that guestroom key cards work only as long as the reservation dates allow. If you are staying with us for three nights, but plan to use three different reservations then you'll need to check-in/check-out 3 different times and get a new key for each of your reservations. To avoid this--just book one reservation for the entirety of your stay or be sure to ask questions at the Front Desk upon arrival. Safety and security is our number one priority and our staff should not check-in a 2nd reservation (into your previous night's room) without you present. This ensures two different guests, with the same name, don't ever get registered to the same room.

With regard to parking in major cities downtown hotels often do not own their own parking lots, but they do often assist hotel guests by collecting parking fees and paying the lot owners to keep things simple for out-of-town travelers. Valet parking is $27 and self parking is $20 a day; to put this in perspective we are less than other hotels closer to the arch and we charge HALF of what you'll pay in downtown Chicago. However, if you stay in one of our Hilton properties in the county complimentary parking is often an option.

My advice to all travelers is to interact with our staff upon arrival. Get to know the property and the staff and you'll find they will work tirelessly to give you a great experience. Here at the Station no one ever has to "go it alone" -- talk to us, and you'll find that there's no better place to stay.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
St.Louis region
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

We have stayed here 3-4 times over recent years, always for a romantic night out. Love the location, not so much because of union station itself, but by location near interstate and lots of city attractions.

The highlight of this place is the grand hall... It is worth seeing simply for a tourist photo-opp. Magnificent!!!

Restaurant is quite good- not exceptional. Room quality varies a bit. Mot of the rooms are in recently constructed building attached, but nothing of the glamour of the grand hall/ lobby.

However, they have a sort of suite-only level that is very special, located in the original structure and we highly recommend it.

Room Tip: For a special stay, request a room/suite in the old, original part of the building.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Monticello, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

This hotel is beautiful! I really enjoyed the history and rich decor! The laser light shows in the lobby were amazing! You must stay and watch them all because each one is different. We very much enjoyed the pool with our children. The pool is very clean and makes you feel like you are at a resort. There are cabanas, pool toys and very nice pool furniture. Fresh towels were always on hand. The rooms are comfy, clean and quiet! Great stay in St. Louis!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Bella Vista, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

I had a 2 night stay at the Doubletree Union Station St. Louis. The property look very nice, and light show in the main hotel area is excellent. I don't recommend the buffet. The food was cool, and nothing special. The staff was very nice and polite. Unfortunately the attached shopping area doesn't have a lot of business, and there are only two places to eat. Hard Rock was not very good. My biggest disappointment is the parking. The hotel "highly" recommends Valet, so I did it. I had to leave early on Sunday because of an emergency and didn't check my truck before I left. When I got home my new 2014 truck (2 weeks old) had a significant dent on the passenger side. Of course the valet company insurance will not pay because I didn't find the dent before I left. If you stay here, and use valet, check your car before and after every time you use it. Don't leave with out checking it carefully. I'm going to try the Westin by the Ballpark my next trip to St. Louis.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your feedback. I will share your feedback with our Restaurant Manager regarding the food temp the weekend of your visit, (15th-17th I believe). I think with a small adjustment and quality check we can prevent this from happening again. Landry's Seafood and Hard Rock Cafe are the two stand-alone restaurants besides the hotel's own Station Grille. In addition there is a 2nd floor food-court that has a few "fast food" options as well. Regarding to the Union Station retail portion any vacant spaces are done deliberately as renovation of this space will begin in 2015. Speaking to you last week regards to your vehicle I am very sorry; having a dent on a newly purchased vehicle is not a happy thought. After speaking to you over the phone we did review parking lot cameras, and interviewed staff that handled your vehicle. As the valet company is separate from the hotel we would have happily shared any news/evidence of the accident. After reviewing video of your truck during the two-overnight stays there wasn't an instance that showed when it could have happened. No matter how or where it happened, I am very sorry that it did.

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Stayed in this hotel for two unexpected nights due to a business trip that went sideways. I have visited the Grand Hall a few years back (simply visited and did not actually stay). Over all the Grand Hall is the single most impressive aspect of this hotel (building), the rest of the old architecture is 2nd most impressive.

Arrived at the front desk with my luggage/gear from the Drury Inn Union Station – I think my reservation was originally for a room in the old part (I probably would have preferred that), but it wasn’t ready so I took one in the newer section as it was and was told it had been newly renovated.

I read somewhere about how getting around this place was like the old “Get Smart” intro – pretty accurate. Once in the newer section it did look and smell newly renovated walking down a long hallway. The room was your usual modern double and seemingly appointed by 4star standards.

The staff was friendly and check in was easy.

Had a cocktail and watched the light show in the Grand Hall – pretty neat.

Where I think there were some deficiencies:

The ‘mall’ is basically dead but if old train stations are interesting then then stroll through is.

The restaurant is way expensive – Hard Rock a better value IMO. The little shop is cheaper but is overpriced (energy drinks were about 2x a 7-11) if that gives you a scale. No included breakfast – coffee in your room – if the cleaning people left some.

Had to reboot browser as wifi stalled out.

After being on the road longer than expected I need to do some laundry – the humidity in St Louis caused more sweat than I’m used to in dry Denver. I figured they would have had a laundry – the Drury Inn Union Station did and most everywhere I have been has. Though I usually only find their laundry by accident and not needing it. This trip I would have like to wash some clothes. I was flipping through the hotel pamphlet only to discover that they only offer a Laundry Concierge – not cheap either (IMO) $9.50 to wash pant and like $4.50 for a shirt.
Heck I had jeans (doing some technical work not selling a multi-million real-estate deal), this would cost like $30-40.00 to wash a change of clothes. I swung by the front desk and asked what options I have (which was a Sun – the Laundry Concierge isn’t even open!) They confirmed that and then confirmed there is no laundry onsite, they then checked to see if a neighboring hotel would allow me to wash clothes there – which the answer was no. There suggestion was to go to Soulard and find a laundry – I’m from out of town, I don’t know where that is and then to schlep around a part of unfamiliar town with dirty clothes looking for a laundry??! The front desk people were polite but utter useless – imo. But I suppose they can only do what management equips and empowers them to do…

I winded up pulling a Rick Steves and washing jeans in the bathtub . There’s an iron so I figured that would help dry them if hanging them didn’t work. Went out for the day. And on return they weren’t dry. The iron didn’t work either. Thank God the hair dryer did.
The toilet had to be primed to flush – i.e. giggle the handle.

The hot water faucet leaked, had to be on for approx. 30sec but undeniable that it did.
Mind you this was a 4 star hotel and the room freshly renovated. I can live with the giggle handle bit and the leak, but it shouldn’t occur given the circumstances and the cost of this room.

Tip crazy in my mind too. I had a late flight out and needed to store my bags until the flight, actually I needed to store my bags while I went off and solved the work business. Then I needed access to my one bag and re-shuffle my stuff into a checked bag and a carry-on and then have them store it again. I’ve done this before at other hotels and the Front desk has always held the bags. This place herded me to the Doorman where it was held in an outside closet. There was an expectation of a tip for everything -??

Hold a bag – give me money, give you your bag – give me money. Open the door to a cab that was already parked waiting on a ride – give me money. The little shop they have – buy a toothbrush – and there’s a tip on the ticket. Buy a sandwich – give me a tip . I don’t give people at 7-11, McDonalds etc a tip and this action was no different. Lest a reader think I’m uncouth – I always leave a tip for the cleaning people, and maybe you ought to give the Doorman ONE tip for a day if there are multiple actions they’ve done that actually helped you. But seriously, this was uncomfortable.

Given how awesome the architecture is I would stay again but come fully prepared to not need any of their help. The staff is friendly but not very helpful in my mind – not due to their individual acumen but by how they’re equipped and empowered.

Room Tip: If your luggage consists of a carry-on and/or a checked bag, consider taking the Metro to/from Lambe...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to share your feedback. I appreciate all of the kind words about our amazing building and the suggestion of adding an on-site, coin-laundry facility. Although this isn't something you typically find at a 4 or 5 Star property it is something we will consider for guests who are accustomed to this amenity. One item worth sharing is our PMS (Property Management System) Micros. Any and all charges posted through micros print receipts the same way. If you order lunch, you would expect a tip-line on the receipt--however, since our gift shop charges are posted in the same system this is why the tip-line shows on those receipts as well; not that it's expected.

Regarding your feelings that you should tip every employee that assists you--I'm sure the staff wouldn't complain, but by no means is it requested or even expected. Our staff is 5-Star (even though our building is only 4-Diamond) and this care, concern, and excellence may increase that feeling that they deserve a tip. Just remember that tipping is personal preference and should be warranted. Thank you for showing such empathy to the staff and we do hope to see you back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

One of the most beautiful historic hotels I've stayed in. Usually you end up sacrificing certain amenities at historic hotels, but not so with this one. They attend to every detail. The front desk staff and front door staff are exceptionally helpful and welcoming and seem to 'roll out the red carpet' for all their guests. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable, and the attached mall is an added attraction. My favorite thing, though, was the light show on the lobby ceiling every evening. Beginning at 4 or 5 they present a different light show every hour. The lobby also has a bar/sitting area with 20 or so different seating areas for business, families, etc., which is the perfect place to sit back and enjoy this very creative light show set to music. It was one of the highlights for us! Last, but not least, a full breakfast is included with certain room rates. The food was delicious and the service impeccable. Location-wise, it is very centrally located on the main thoroughfare downtown. I highly recommend this fine historic hotel!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are recently renovated. I would definitely request one of these.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Franklin, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

The hotel is built around the former train station. The valet and bellman were very helpful and the registration desk person was so friendly. Two warm delicious cookies were presented when we checked in. Our room was very clean and a bit small. We enjoyed the shopping mall attached to the hotel- some empty stores- but a nice food court. The hotel presents a wonderful sound and light show on the beautiful dome over the lobby/bar area (the former train station waiting room). The only negative was the telephone call buttons in our room - calls to the bellman, front desk went no where! They need to update the system! Really a nice place to stay!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!