“Not there yet” 3 of 5 stars
Review of St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

You added St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1820 Market St, One St. Louis Union Station, Saint Louis, MO 63103 (Formerly St. Louis Union Station Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
New Year's Eve 2014
Ranked #22 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Denver, Colorado
“Not there yet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Stayed in this hotel for two unexpected nights due to a business trip that went sideways. I have visited the Grand Hall a few years back (simply visited and did not actually stay). Over all the Grand Hall is the single most impressive aspect of this hotel (building), the rest of the old architecture is 2nd most impressive.

Arrived at the front desk with my luggage/gear from the Drury Inn Union Station – I think my reservation was originally for a room in the old part (I probably would have preferred that), but it wasn’t ready so I took one in the newer section as it was and was told it had been newly renovated.

I read somewhere about how getting around this place was like the old “Get Smart” intro – pretty accurate. Once in the newer section it did look and smell newly renovated walking down a long hallway. The room was your usual modern double and seemingly appointed by 4star standards.

The staff was friendly and check in was easy.

Had a cocktail and watched the light show in the Grand Hall – pretty neat.

Where I think there were some deficiencies:

The ‘mall’ is basically dead but if old train stations are interesting then then stroll through is.

The restaurant is way expensive – Hard Rock a better value IMO. The little shop is cheaper but is overpriced (energy drinks were about 2x a 7-11) if that gives you a scale. No included breakfast – coffee in your room – if the cleaning people left some.

Had to reboot browser as wifi stalled out.

After being on the road longer than expected I need to do some laundry – the humidity in St Louis caused more sweat than I’m used to in dry Denver. I figured they would have had a laundry – the Drury Inn Union Station did and most everywhere I have been has. Though I usually only find their laundry by accident and not needing it. This trip I would have like to wash some clothes. I was flipping through the hotel pamphlet only to discover that they only offer a Laundry Concierge – not cheap either (IMO) $9.50 to wash pant and like $4.50 for a shirt.
Heck I had jeans (doing some technical work not selling a multi-million real-estate deal), this would cost like $30-40.00 to wash a change of clothes. I swung by the front desk and asked what options I have (which was a Sun – the Laundry Concierge isn’t even open!) They confirmed that and then confirmed there is no laundry onsite, they then checked to see if a neighboring hotel would allow me to wash clothes there – which the answer was no. There suggestion was to go to Soulard and find a laundry – I’m from out of town, I don’t know where that is and then to schlep around a part of unfamiliar town with dirty clothes looking for a laundry??! The front desk people were polite but utter useless – imo. But I suppose they can only do what management equips and empowers them to do…

I winded up pulling a Rick Steves and washing jeans in the bathtub . There’s an iron so I figured that would help dry them if hanging them didn’t work. Went out for the day. And on return they weren’t dry. The iron didn’t work either. Thank God the hair dryer did.
The toilet had to be primed to flush – i.e. giggle the handle.

The hot water faucet leaked, had to be on for approx. 30sec but undeniable that it did.
Mind you this was a 4 star hotel and the room freshly renovated. I can live with the giggle handle bit and the leak, but it shouldn’t occur given the circumstances and the cost of this room.

Tip crazy in my mind too. I had a late flight out and needed to store my bags until the flight, actually I needed to store my bags while I went off and solved the work business. Then I needed access to my one bag and re-shuffle my stuff into a checked bag and a carry-on and then have them store it again. I’ve done this before at other hotels and the Front desk has always held the bags. This place herded me to the Doorman where it was held in an outside closet. There was an expectation of a tip for everything -??

Hold a bag – give me money, give you your bag – give me money. Open the door to a cab that was already parked waiting on a ride – give me money. The little shop they have – buy a toothbrush – and there’s a tip on the ticket. Buy a sandwich – give me a tip . I don’t give people at 7-11, McDonalds etc a tip and this action was no different. Lest a reader think I’m uncouth – I always leave a tip for the cleaning people, and maybe you ought to give the Doorman ONE tip for a day if there are multiple actions they’ve done that actually helped you. But seriously, this was uncomfortable.

Given how awesome the architecture is I would stay again but come fully prepared to not need any of their help. The staff is friendly but not very helpful in my mind – not due to their individual acumen but by how they’re equipped and empowered.

Room Tip: If your luggage consists of a carry-on and/or a checked bag, consider taking the Metro to/from Lambe...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Jeremiah E, General Manager at St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to share your feedback. I appreciate all of the kind words about our amazing building and the suggestion of adding an on-site, coin-laundry facility. Although this isn't something you typically find at a 4 or 5 Star property it is something we will consider for guests who are accustomed to this amenity. One item worth sharing is our PMS (Property Management System) Micros. Any and all charges posted through micros print receipts the same way. If you order lunch, you would expect a tip-line on the receipt--however, since our gift shop charges are posted in the same system this is why the tip-line shows on those receipts as well; not that it's expected.

Regarding your feelings that you should tip every employee that assists you--I'm sure the staff wouldn't complain, but by no means is it requested or even expected. Our staff is 5-Star (even though our building is only 4-Diamond) and this care, concern, and excellence may increase that feeling that they deserve a tip. Just remember that tipping is personal preference and should be warranted. Thank you for showing such empathy to the staff and we do hope to see you back.

Warmest regards,
Jeremiah Essmyer
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

One of the most beautiful historic hotels I've stayed in. Usually you end up sacrificing certain amenities at historic hotels, but not so with this one. They attend to every detail. The front desk staff and front door staff are exceptionally helpful and welcoming and seem to 'roll out the red carpet' for all their guests. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable, and the attached mall is an added attraction. My favorite thing, though, was the light show on the lobby ceiling every evening. Beginning at 4 or 5 they present a different light show every hour. The lobby also has a bar/sitting area with 20 or so different seating areas for business, families, etc., which is the perfect place to sit back and enjoy this very creative light show set to music. It was one of the highlights for us! Last, but not least, a full breakfast is included with certain room rates. The food was delicious and the service impeccable. Location-wise, it is very centrally located on the main thoroughfare downtown. I highly recommend this fine historic hotel!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are recently renovated. I would definitely request one of these.
Franklin, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

The hotel is built around the former train station. The valet and bellman were very helpful and the registration desk person was so friendly. Two warm delicious cookies were presented when we checked in. Our room was very clean and a bit small. We enjoyed the shopping mall attached to the hotel- some empty stores- but a nice food court. The hotel presents a wonderful sound and light show on the beautiful dome over the lobby/bar area (the former train station waiting room). The only negative was the telephone call buttons in our room - calls to the bellman, front desk went no where! They need to update the system! Really a nice place to stay!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Adams Friendship, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Hotel is beautiful but they are under construction and need to get a lot of that finished before putting people in rooms next to it. Lots of miscommunication between departments. Room Service and House keeping needs to get on board about up holding the standards of the hotel.. The lobby light show is spectacular to watch and is a must see.... The food in the hotel was very good. Just a lot of hic-ups with the rooms and the construction that was going on. Disappointed in that and the way it was being handled!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Jeremiah E, General Manager at St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Thank you for your review; we certainly appreciate your feedback and the kind words about our new Grand Hall experience and our amazing culinary team! Although some weeks of renovation are more challenging than others I'm curious as to what happened during your visit; no specifics mentioned for me to follow-up on. If you care to, my email is jessmyer@stlunionstationhotel.com and I'd love to hear your story. With so many recent hires (getting geared up for a busy fall/winter) It may not have been renovation, but perhaps just a training opportunity that created a disconnect for you. I hope to hear from you and see you again after our work is completed!

Warmest regards,
Jeremiah Essmyer
Assistant General Manager
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

You wouldn't expect a historic hotel to feature start of the art multi-million dollar light show displayed on the massive ceiling of their grand lobby. This is just one of the incredible renovations they've made to this property.

I've stayed here a couple times on business to attend a conference. Once late last year. Once this summer. The difference was night and day.

- First, I'll tell you the staff is friendly and helpful. Both trips. Top notch. And as standard with Double Tree, you're greeted with a warm cookie upon check in.

- The new bar area is open, spacious, and very trendy. (Being a business networking trip we spent some time at the bar. The bartenders were very friendly and they had a very wide selection.)

- You can tell it is a historic hotel, but you do not see it's age in the main areas. Some of the rooms were dated.

- Both visits my room was located on concierge level. Good sized room. Well appointed. But very different from what I saw in the other areas of the hotel when I met my business partner at his room. (On our first trip he later switched to the concierge level.) I believe they are in the process of continuing to renovate.

- It's attached to a mall. An old mall. A few independent shops and a food court. Nothing amazing. If you're tired of hotel food you have options in walking distance, and you don't have to venture outside. (Especially good in St. Louis winters.)

- There's a 3-d light show every hour after the sun goes down. They have different programs displayed on the ceiling of the grand room. Pretty cool to watch.

- The fitness center is above average. I didn't get a chance to use the pool.

- Outside of the small is a planet hollywood and an Landry's Seafood. eh. Both meals were underwhelming

- There's also a local Irish Pub just outside of the hotel that was really good!

Because of work I'll be at this hotel several more times over the next year or so. Overall I look forward to staying again and see the continued improvements.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Landed this Hotel on Priceline and was not disappointed. Staff was amazing from Colin at front desk to manager in the Bar area. All very very helpful and the light show on the celing was amazing and at no cost! Check was fast and took Metra-Link to ballpark which was fast and easy. Had 4 children in our party and they too were impressed by this hotel and the fact it was historic and on the mend. This place has changed hands over the years but appears it is on the rise and with more shopping and traffic, hope to see this back to the good ole days for Saint Louis. Stopped and Soulard Market on way out of town and that is a must as well. Thank you Union Station and Double Tree. We will be back!

New Orleans, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Since this hotel is based out of the old train station, the lobby/entrance/main lounge is extremely beautiful and even worth visiting if you choose to stay at another hotel. The staff was very friendly. The room was clean and spacious. I stayed with family in the new/remodeled part of the hotel and was very pleased. I did request to stay on the historic side, but they said they didn't have any rooms with 2 beds available. However, I'm not sure I could've liked the historic side any better than the new side. They was construction taking place, but it was not noticeable and they only worked during normal business hours, so sleeping was no trouble. I wish I had more time to explore the hotel/are because it's large and in the perfect location downtown. The large parking lot across the street was also a huge help. Would definitely stay here again!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!