“Cool lobby area” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

Save Saved
You added St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1820 Market St, One St. Louis Union Station, Saint Louis, MO 63103 (Formerly St. Louis Union Station Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
STL Cardinals Tickets
Ranked #31 of 122 hotels in Saint Louis
“Cool lobby area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed sitting for a drink in the lobby which was the main space of the old train station. Room was perfectly nice and average for Hilton. Breakfast buffet was very good. Has some restaurants nearby but I wouldn't say it is in the heart of the downtown bust area which means driving, cabbing or long walks.

• Stayed March 2013
STLUSDoubleTree, General Manager at St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your 5 star review! It's great to hear you had a great time in our hotel, and within the Grand Hall lobby and bar. And what a nice picture! I hope we can welcome you back soon for a drink in the lobby and a warm cookie at check-in.

1,005 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Kansas City, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed here for just one night on a quick visit to St. Louis. The hotel is situated in the Union Station building which has undergone an extensive restauration effort to restore some of the building's original shine and luxury. Independent shops and eateries are available within the building.

The rooms are spacious enough with roomy bathrooms, TV, coffee maker, and a desk. The hotel staff was courteous and efficient. Beware that self-parking is uncovered and about a block away, so if you have lots of luggage, drop it off at the front entrance before parking your car.

The location is easily reached from the freeways and offers quick access to many of the town's great attractions. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your 5 star review! We are overjoyed you had a splendid time at our hotel and got to experience all Union Station itself has to offer. I hope you do visit us again on your next visit to St. Louis. We will have a warm cookie waiting!
Pawnee, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

The hotel itself is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! Transformed from an old train depot into a hotel & shopping mall, there is history around every corner!!!!

This hotel is located within a shopping mall. Now ladies, when I say shopping mall, do NOT get excited. This mall is more "touristy" then anything else (there are a few cute shops, but def not your shopping mall back home!!). Mainly great for picking up your "souvenirs", etc. There is a small food court located inside, as well as a Hard Rock Cafe & Landrey's Seafood outside (you literally have to walk outside to get to these two)... There is also a restaurant located INSIDE the hotel itself that is EXCELLENT!!!!!!

POSITIVE: Beautiful (romantic) hotel. Awesome work-out room. Comfy beds. Friendly staff & attentive to all of your needs. Close to a lot of St Louis attractions. AND yummy cookies at check-in (and anytime you get a craving for one)!!!!!!

NEGATIVE:
~I booked on the hotels website & secured a AAA rate. Upon arrival, I was asked if I would like to "upgrade" our room for $12.00 more per night. I had originally requested a Suite upgrade (due to our Anniversary), so when I was asked if I would like to upgrade, I assumed we would walk into a NICE room. I was completely surprised to walk into a SMALL (but nice) one-room room. When asked what the difference was between what I had originally booked & what I "upgraded" to, the gal stumbled on her words & was only able to tell me that the "view" was nicer. Funny thing is that we were NEVER able to see out our window because they were always frosted over!!!!! So ya, if you are asked at check-in if you would like to upgrade, either make sure you understand 100% what you are upgrading from/to & exactly what the differences are!!!!!!!!!!

~Our room was a bit on the small side (we stayed on Executive Level (4th floor)).

~The parking lot is quite a walk from the hotel (and is $14.00 per night). You actually park outside of the mall, walk thru the mall (yes, carrying your luggage!!), and then up to your room. Due to this, if you can afford it, I would definitely recommend valet parking!!!!!!!

~If you leave late at night & you self- park, the walk from the car, thru the mall & to your room can be a tad intimidating... Especially if you are a lady & are by yourself. The mall closes around 9/10PM, so if you can imagine walking thru a closed mall, by yourself. Ya, I never left without my husband!!! Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying that this is not a safe place, nor did we have any problems, but I would def recommend that females NOT be out by themselves late at night.

KUDOS: Our trip was to celebrate our 26th Anniversary. While there, we met a wonderful employee by the name of Kathy. We tended to always bump into Kathy while we we getting off the elevator (she was painting a wall). Me being the history nut that I am, I struck up a conversation with her about the hotel. She took us on a brief tour & shared some cool facts/stories about the hotel. We mentioned the fact about it being our Anniversary & she congratulated us. We finally went on our way, discussing how amazing this lady was. You could tell she LOVED this hotel & her job. We returned our room hours later.... and was completely surprised to find a tray of chocolate-covered strawberries & a bottle of wine, along w/ a card from Kathy!!!!!!!! I do not know if the employees are taught to be this way, or if this was simply Kathy's awesome nature. Either way, we felt SOOO special that night!!!!!!!! We tried to track Kathy down to thank her personally, but never was told she had left for the day. We checked out the next day & was never able to personally tell her how much that small gesture meant to us. I am hoping that the hotel sees this comment & will commend her!!! :o) We brought the card & (empty) wine bottle home, as a reminder of a very special lady!!!!!!!!

OVERALL: All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel. And if you run into "Kathy, the painter lady" tell her that you read about her on Trip Advisor!!!!!!!! :o)

PS - If you need to go into the city, ask about the Metro-Link!!!!!! Well worth it!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
STLUSDoubleTree, General Manager at St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for spending your anniversary with us, and I am overjoyed that Kathy made it extra special for you two. She is such a special employee, and you experienced first hand her kind and friendly personality! I do apologize for you not receiving a full description of your upgrade, but I wanted to let you know your room was originally booked on the modern "garden side" of the hotel. Being the history buff you are, I can assure you that your stay on our "historic Headhouse" side was great for you. This used to be the actual Terminal Hotel during the rail days. So many aspects of this area are original to the past hotel, even down to the door knockers! Again, thank you for your review and we hope you had an great experience for your anniversary.
Ann Arbor, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I've stayed at several St. Louis hotels and from now on I will look to book here first! I love being able to hop on the MetroLink from the airport and then a short stroll through historic Union Station to get to the hotel. Easy walk to downtown or easy to catch a cab. The bar is a great place to just sit and admire the fabulous architecture. The Concierge Lounge is way above average - really nice hot breakfast. The restaurant had an ok wine list and a diverse selection of upscale plates at a reasonable price. The workout facility is exceptional. Rooms were very nice with comfy beds and bathrobes and very important to me - good HVAC (I am a light sleeper!). The seasonal pool would be fun to use. I was not put off by the lack of commerce in the mall - it is well kept up and I hope commerce will come back sometime soon, but if not, you can still enjoy a pleasant place. If you had kids, they would have the space to blow off steam.

Room Tip: If you want to be in the "action" get a room in the historic side. Otherwise you have to c...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
STLUSDoubleTree, General Manager at St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you so much for the 5 star review! I am extremely happy you enjoyed your stay at our hotel! The Grand Hall Bar is a great place to enjoy a drink and admire the beautiful architecture and our concierge lounge is something we take pride in. I am glad you got to experience both. Thank you again for your stay and great review and we cannot wait to welcome you back to our property and serve you again!
Chicago, Illinois, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is built inside the old union station and one of the most grand buildings in North America. There are restaurants all around, incl a food court inside the union station. Also there is an Einstein bagels right outside the elevator.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your 5 star review! We really appreciate your feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay at the St Louis Union Station Hotel. There are great eateries in the hotel, in Union Station itself, and around our location. It's great you got to experience the great food, location and architecture while you were visiting us! Again, we are very appreciative of your review and can't wait to welcome you back!
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I had a meeting downtown, therefore decided to stay at this hotel. It is a decent hotel, however, parking is very far. The same parking lot is used for parking for the Ball Park, and if you stay there on a night there is a cardinals game on.. good luck with finding parking. You have to walk through a small mall to get to the check in desk. Rooms were of decent size, the fixtures in the bathroom were old and loose.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your overall stay at our hotel. I do want to follow-up on your parking problems. The Union Station DoubleTree offers valet parking at our main Market Street entrance and discounted parking rates right next door at Market and 20th Street for self parking. Because of our location, we do not share parking with the Ballpark. I apologize if you received the wrong information and I would love to follow-up further if you're available! Again, thank you for your review and staying at the Union Station Hotel. We would love to welcome you back with 5 star service and a warm DoubleTree cookie!
Augusta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We are Hilton Diamond members and have stayed at many Hilton properties. This property had it all. From the moment we drove up and were met by the valet, to check in, to the wait staff at the Grill Restaurant, to the attendants in the Concierge Lounge, to the Concierge. The room has a great view, and just touring the property and reading about the old rail station and looking at the wonderful architecture has been a pleasure. The breakfast in the Concierge Lounge far exceeds the normal fare in most Hilton properties; however, the scrambled eggs were ice cold out of the chafing dish. The snacks at night were ok, but they had trouble keeping everything stocked. All in all, great service, location and historical significance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the reviewing our hotel! We take great pride in our hotel, and all the historical features it holds. I'm glad you had an amazing experience in our Station Grille restaurant and enjoyed the light fare in the concierge lounge. I do apologize for cold eggs at breakfast and limited supply of hors d'oeuvres. As you could tell, our concierge lounge is very popular in the evening! Again, thank you for your 5 star review and we hope to welcome you back!

Been to St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!