“Big disappointment” 2 of 5 stars
Review of St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

You added St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1820 Market St, One St. Louis Union Station, Saint Louis, MO 63103 (Formerly St. Louis Union Station Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
New Year's Eve 2014
Ranked #23 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Burlington, Canada
“Big disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I just spent four days at this hotel for a conference. First off our rooms were hours before they were ready and then when I finally got my room key I found the maid still in there cleaning the room (at 4pm in the afternoon). The main lobby of the building is beautiful but the rooms are a long way from the lobby and the conference rooms, expect a lot of walking. We thought it would be neat staying in the old Union Station where there are all kinds of shops right below you, only most of the shops are closed and the whole place is cavernous. In fact we found out there is no shopping in downtown St Louis. We had to take the Metro about 8 stops to find the closest mall. It's an 18 block walk down to the arch. There were beautiful gardens and sculptures along the route but not much else. The tour up the arch was the highlight of the trip. One scary aspect is we were constantly told to stay off the street after dark, due to the high crime. We tried to wonder a mile down the road to a Walgreens early Saturday evening. We were told to turn back by some local company employees who were dismantling some tents that held their annual company fun day. Luckily we were able to find a cab to take us to the store then we had to call another to get back to the Marriott. The staff were not very knowledgable about where to eat or what to see, in fact even the locals seem to be at a lost as to what their city had to offer. It will probably be my only trip to St Louis. Don't waste your time unless you are going to watch a Cardnal's game live.

Room Tip: Try and get a room that has working heat/ac. I had to call a technician to turn off the squally pipe...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Raleigh NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed here for business and the Grand Hall is truly one of the most beautiful spaces I've ever seen. The food was impeccable in the restaurant, room service and in the concierge lounge. I stayed on the Concierge level and the room was nice and roomy. The lounge served heavy hors d'oeuvres and a breakfast buffet. The food presentation was superb. I was on a site visit for an upcoming conference I'm planning, and I learned that the hotel is changing brands to a Doubletree by Hilton in Oct. The new owners plan major renovation and redevelopment of the Union Station property, which is just sad right now. Only about 1/3 of the stores are open right now. The staff were very helpful. The guestrooms in the back of the property are quite dark and dated, but are supposed to be redone.

Room Tip: If you can swing it, stay in the Concierge level.
NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I've stayed at this property about a dozen times over the past few years and it's starting to become more and more in need of some renovation. The lobby and common areas are still amazing, but the rooms themselves are getting a little dated. Very clean and comfortable and the staff/service is outstanding. Rooms are spacious and the beds are comfortable. Not enough outlets in the room. Only 1 on the desk and either the bedside lamp or the chair lamp had to remian unplugged as there weren't enough outlets in the room. Wireless internet service was just abysmal. Getting connected was a hassle, it wasn't free, and I constantly had dropped connections, loss of signal, had to login in again and again. I've been a loyal fan of this hotel but it's getting a little dated and tired and I'm likely to choose another property in the area for my next visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Brussels
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I guess that all you really need to know about this hotel has already been said many times before. Yes, Union Station is pretty impressive when arriving, and entering the lobby is indeed downright spectacular. Rooms could use a makeover, but are spacious and the beds are fairly comfortable. There’s no safe, no fridge/minibar and for all I know, no breakfast (although the small coffee bar in the mall below serves reasonable food and can put the expenses on your room).
What I haven't read much about though, is the location. The mall in the old Union Station, adjacent to the hotel, is pretty sad (many shops closed, only the food court seems to thrive) and you won't find many bars or restaurants within reasonable walking distance. It's quite a walk to downtown St. Louis, but why would you go through that trouble when you find there's actually nothing to do there either? So at the end of the day you may find yourself having that drink in the lobby, which, given the surroundings, is probably your best option.

North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is very nostalgic and while some of the common areas are a little outdated (especially the carpet) it wasn't quite as bad as I was led to believe it would be from some of the reviews I read here. I would definitely say for the price of the rooms there will be a slight disappointment, which is why I rated it a 3. My room (3309) was clean and was like any other Marriott I have stayed in, with two double beds, a table, entertainment center and a fairly spacious bathroom. Internet is not free at this particular hotel unless you are an "Elite" Marriott Rewards Member. Let's just say there is no view for this room...basically a tree, two walls and if you look real hard a tiny glimpse of the pond and outdoor dining deck of (the conveniently located) Landry's Seafood.

We were there for a conference and because of our schedule we used room service for our breakfast on 2 mornings and one dinner. On our last morning we dined in the Station Grille, and that was because our room steward didn't leave a new room service tag for us to complete and hang on the door the night before. The food was great from both room service and the Grille...no complaints at all! We used the room service tag nightly, which had to be hung on the door by midnight each night. Both mornings they were prompt in their delivery (and I mean prompt! - we chose 8:00 - 8:15 and both mornings there were there at 8:00 on the dot). Room service will cost you around 15 - 20 per person, but you get plenty of food. The night we ordered dinner, it was late (around 10:30pm) and again, they were prompt with the delivery time we were given. The food was excellent, as was the presentation. We ordered shrimp cocktails, tomato basil soup (soup of the day), and a crab and corn chowder soup. The Grille is buffet style for the breakfast serving, was 14.95 (including your drink), again, great food!

Now one thing that REALLY made me want to give the hotel a higher rating was the employees. Seriously, they were all so friendly and helpful, always! Everyone in our group commented on this. From the doorman to the room service staff, the Grille staff, front desk, you name it they were great. I never saw our room steward, but my only complaint about our stay would have to be that they neglected to leave new washcloths once and didn't vacuum up a small (accidental) mess I made on the floor one day (dropped a cracker and stepped on it before I could stop myself). I got up what I could, but there was no attempt by the cleaning staff otherwise. Basically the beds were made and new towels were dropped off each day.

There were a lot of comments about the mall and how sparse the stores are now. They are right, there is one whole side of the mall that seems to be closed, but one side seemed to be doing ok now. Definitely stop at the Fudgery; great fudge!! The majority of upstairs seemed to be food, with a couple of shops, while the downstairs was opposite, with more shops than food.

The Metrolink is very convenient to the hotel. A daily ticket was $7.50; one way trip was $2.25; it took you most anywhere you wanted to go. It was a clean and fast mode of transportation. Also convenient (walking distance) to the hotel was the Hard Rock Cafe and Landry's Seafood.

This hotel is a neat hotel with a lot to offer. It is definitely a place everyone should stay once, just for its uniqueness.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Good to see a fine building preseved and still thronging with people. A beautiful lobby area for a drink and to meet other guests. The rooms despite reading reviews were comfortable and far from being a problem we enjoyed the Alice in Wonderland corridors getting to them. There was a half decent Oirish sports bar nearby which was ok for a scoop. St Louis itself is a very pretty city and we totally got the Arch gatewayto the west thing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Limerick, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just returned from a 3-night stay. The building itself is gorgeous, with a cool "whispering wall" feature. The lobby, equally spectacular. But that's really where it ends. As a silver Marriott member, I was guaranteed a king bed at check in, but only had the options of a handicap-accessible king, or a "parlor" with a king murphy bed. So weird. I chose double queen. Unfortunately, I was assigned a room down in the dungeon (1st floor). Hard to get to, and a very long walk from the elevators, down dark/dank/loud/creepy hallways. Once in, I realized the room looked out at the pool, which seems lovely, but once again, single young woman traveling alone does not equal a great choice for a ground-level walk-in/look-in room. I HATE having to keep the curtains closed my entire stay!
The room itself was fair. It could absolutely use some updating in decor, and some work on the peeling ceiling in the shower. The toilet ran for 10 seconds every 3 or 4 minutes. The. entire. time. I didn't want to deal with maintence during my limited "relax" time in the room, so I put up with the obnoxious noise. Bed was comfortable.
Hotel's location was great, but I found St. Louis eerily empty. Lots of very clean, but empty/unsold/boarded up buildings - everywhere. More homeless than I've ever seen in Philadelphia. Lack of nicer restaurants. Dissapointing. I had heard such good things about the city too.

Room Tip: Don't accept anything on the first floor. Ugh.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to St. Louis Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!