“These were the best tacos I've had in St. Louis.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,021 of 2,524 restaurants in Saint Louis
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“These were the best tacos I've had in St. Louis.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

These were the best tacos I've had in St. Louis.

81% Recommend
Cambridge
“A Mexican gem in the midwest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

I got spoiled on the taco trucks and taquerillas in LA. When I moved to Saint Louis because tasty mexican food is pretty much non-existent here. Do not trust anyone from the Midwest to recommend mexican food to you. You will inevitable end up eating something that tastes like marinara and water.
La Vallesana is in the Cherokee Mexican Neighborhood. I felt like I was back home. If you are rich and white, it will do you good to get out of the 'burbs and see some ethnic urban life. unfortunately, it looks like the hipsters/yuppies are moving in (which I guess I am one of), so go quick before its too late.
Tasty al pastor and asada tacos. onions, cilantro, double corn tortilla. explosive little filling bites. I was not too keen on the burrito though. I was also bummed that the was no horchata.
Overall, yum yum. go. do it. tastyness heaven

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
St. Louis
“Authentic Mexican for those who seek it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

This place is about as authentic as it gets, based on meals I've had in Mexico. I'm not sure how much english my waitress even spoke. Instead of chips, i got a bowl of radishes when I sat down...wtf? That was a new one on me, but I haven't traveled Mexico extensively. I enjoyed having soft tacos on a corn tortilla for a change. The Tacos Al Pastor were especially tasty. Salsas were great - very fresh. Neighborhood is sketchy. Tips: Don't go at night if you're a typical white-bread suburban like me. Also don't forget to feed the meter, the maids do patrol the area at lunchtime.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good cheap Mexican in a...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2008

Good cheap Mexican in a little shop on Cherokee Street. How can you go wrong with that?