“A nice place for a romantic dinner” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Salt

Salt
4356 Lindell Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63108 (Formerly Savor) (Central West End)
(314) 932-5787
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Central West End
Mountain View, California, United States
“A nice place for a romantic dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

There's nothing wrong with Salt: it has a nice ambiance (a tad posh, yet casual), attentive and knowledgeable service, and—most important—delicious food and a solid wine list at fair prices.

It's not haute cuisine, even though that's what you may expect when you look at their polished website. But it's a great place for a romantic dinner.

Visited February 2013

79% Recommend
NY
“Amazing restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Salt was wonderful! We are from NY and are used to all sorts of wonderful food. This restaurant was better than many in NYC. Fantastic menu, presentation, staff etc etc. Our waiter was also the sommelier. He was very knowledgeable, informative, and extremely pleasant. A truly wonderful treat.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Food was just okay and my credit card was overcharged!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I was really hoping to like this place. My boyfriend and I went here for a date night out, but my experience with Salt was, to start, only just okay/meh which was then followed by even more annoyance when I found out a few days later that they overcharged my credit card.

Let's start with the small plates...the potato gnocchi we ordered was indeed fabulous, but the rabbit stew was far from. It was nothing of what I would imagine a hearty stew should be like. It was watery, lacking any heartiness or flavor whatsoever, had hardly any meat at all and really just felt like they threw it together and tried to cook in within the past five minutes. I've made better stews at home in my slow cooker. Next onto our entrees...my boyfriend's soy-braised pork cheek was excellent. However, my duck confit was bland, tough and lacking any coherence whatsoever. They even forgot the sauce that it was supposed to be served with and the vegetables that accompanied it, though flavored well, were undercooked and tough. Finally, dessert...we ordered "milk and cereal". This dish was composed of cinnamon creme brulee, what was supposed to be "french toast sticks" and a milky concoction of white chocolate which was to be poured over the other two components. The creme brulee, I must say, was very good, but the white chocolate was so liquidy it was hard to even distinguish it as chocolate. The french toast sticks were nothing more than stale biscotti that were as hard to chew as they were to break apart.

All in all, the meal had its high points, but they were outweighed by the other dishes that, suffice to to say, were just plain messed up. In any case I probably would have still given Salt three stars...that was until I saw my bank statement online today. Our dinner, which consisted of a bottle of wine, 2 small plates, 2 entrees and dessert came to about $140, for which we tipped about $28, a good 20% tip. My boyfriend and I split the check and so each paid an equal amount. Both of our totals with tip were $83.12. However, after reviewing my bank account online today I discovered that Salt had charged my account $106.40, overcharging me by more than 20 dollars! I checked with my boyfriend and he said he had been charged the correct amount. So, at the moment, I am in dispute with my bank and Salt over the charge, but, nevertheless with such a sub-par dinner and basically frustrating end to my experience with Salt I will never again be dining there.

So, just a word to the wise for everyone who has gone or might go to this restaurant...MAKE SURE YOU CHECK WITH YOUR BANK IF YOU PAID/PAY WITH A CREDIT CARD. They might have overcharged you like they did me. I know Salt is having some financial problems right now, but is this how they intend to make up for it? Not acceptable!!!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“Gourmet in a comfortable setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Beautiful but non descript, reasonable pricing for some pretty gourmet stuff. The menu changes every two month and is very seasonal. The scallops and risotto to die for. Great desserts to. You really can't go too wrong here.

Visited January 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“A great place to go before the symphony concert.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We really enjoy going to Salt. Everytime we have gone we have been impressed by the knowledgeable wait staff. Having the choice of small plates ofr large plates is a bonus. The food is locally sourced and prepared with a caring touch. Topping of the night with a chocolate torte was out of this world. Well worth going to!

• Visited October 2012