“Calzones, Salads and Beer Selection” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Pizza
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Alexandria, Virginia
“Calzones, Salads and Beer Selection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I loved going to Kirkwood to stop at Dewey's; there was many things on the menu I did not try, but suffice to say, the things I did try were excellent. I love the seasonal salads they have, it is unlike any other pizza restaurant I've been to. And the calzones -- for me, this is the main attraction. They have a nice selection of ingredients: cheeses, vegetables, meats and it also comes with your choice of sauces to dip into; I always got the garlic oil mixture. Finally, the beer selection is very nice, with a rotating selection of microbrews from the midwest. The pizza is certainly better than what most of St Louis has to offer (with the exception of PI), I know that's probably fightin' words around these parts, but I did not grow up in St Louis and I do not particularly care for their take on pizza. But, to each his own, Dewey's is a fine restaurant. One final piece of advice, if you plan to go on the weekend, get there before the dinner crowd arrives, because you could end up waiting awhile.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Belleville, Illinois
“Cool environment, above average pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

My wife and I saw this place was ranked at #9 best places to eat. I can say that it was cool, but it honestly didn't live up to expectations from strictly a food standpoint. We drove about 30 miles to eat here. The pizza is good, but I don't think it is that much better than Pizza Hut. It a very well decorated building though and if you have kids it is very cool because the kids can watch the pizza's being made, seeing them throw the dough up in the air, etc. My final grade: B-

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Newburgh, Indiana
“A Must Try St. Louis Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

When we travel, our goal is to try at least one restaurant that we don't have in our area. Today, Dewey's was our spur of the moment pick. The North and South Rd. location was a quick 12 minute drive from our hotel near the airport.

We arrived around 8:45 Saturday night. It was busy and bustling but we were seated within 5 minutes. They use a team concept in serving, so someone is always checking on you. I didn't catch any names but the young lady who started us out did a great job in explaining the menu. My wife and I had iced tea. My 14 y.o. daughter had water and 7 y.o. son had milk. After perusing the menu, my wife and daughter decided to split a large house salad. My son and I split the peppercorn salad. I tasted the goat cheese in the house salad and it was fantastic. The girls stated that the salad was great and quickly took care of it. The large salads are perfect sizes to split with another when taken as the first course. As for the pizzas, the kids built a medium 1/2 cheese and the other half Hawaiian. My daughter substituted Italian sausage for the Canadian bacon. They both thought this was the best pizza experience they have had.

My wife and I split a medium. She had the Edgar Allen Poe and my half was the Killer Veggie. She loved hers. I tasted it and the olives used ate not to my tastes but that goat cheese was on it and is a great item for the pizza. My Veggie was superb and all ingrediates are very fresh tasting. We all felt hat the star of the show is the crust. It was perfectly crisp on the bottom and just the right texture beneath the sauces. Our service was spot on and we will return to this unique St. Louis offering. If you don't at least give Dewey's a try, you are missing out.

Godfrey
“New Years Eve”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Dewey's is always busy, we got there early but knew that it would not be a problem because our kids love watching them make the pizzas. They accommodated our party of 10 with no problems. The pizzas are very good. Not a thick crust and not NJ thin (like I like them), but a foldable slice. Large salads are shareable. Beer selections are great! Our family loves this place and will be back.
You do have to wait, so you have to have patience. They do try to entertain the kids.

Visited December 2013
“Very good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Harvest, Garden, Ceasar and Greek salads all tried. All salads were balances of flavors which work well together. Dressings excellent. Ryan's inferno is a good Buffalo chicken pizza without being too hot. Huge amount of veggies cover the Veggie Supreme pizza - best I have had.