“Near Grant's farm” 5 of 5 stars

Madison, Wisconsin
130 attraction reviews
“Near Grant's farm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We first visited Grant's Farm. Across the street is this historic site. The visitor center has many exhibits on Grant and his family. Be sure to watch the film. It will explain the history of "White Haven", which is now called Ulysses S Grant Historic Site. Admission is free. Take the tour - it is very informative & an easy walk. It includes the main house, summer kitchen, chicken house, ice house and museum. Walking around, you would never know you were in the middle of an urban area. Our tour guide was a man who had a history major and now works for the park service. He did a great job.

I learned that Ulysses met his wife Julia Dent while he was stationed Jefferson Barracks, south of St Louis in the 1844. It was an interesting courtship because Julia's father was a slave owner. Grant was an outspoken supporter of the Union. When the Civil War broke out Julia had one brother that fought for the Union and one sided with the Confederacy.

Ulysses and Julia married, farmed the land and raised his family here. The property was 850 acres. It is now 10 acres. They built a log house, Hardscrabble, on the property in 1856. You can see the log cabin at Grant's Farm, across the street. Later they purchased White Haven from Julia's father in the 1860's. Even though they lived other places, this was still considered home to the family.

Driving to this historic site, we saw many homes built on what was once White Haven. That happens to many of our historic places. At least 10 acres and some of the buildings were preserved.

After visiting this place, I want to do more research on President Grant. I am so glad I stopped.

TIP: Also visit Jefferson Barracks

Visited May 2012

Saint Robert, Missouri
12 attraction reviews
“Very Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Good story and beautiful home. All the furniture was burned in another home from the family but definitely worth it to see a part of history. A really good exhibit on the history of both families. definitely worth the trip.

Visited August 2012
San Antonio, Texas
12 attraction reviews
“Worth a visit if you have free time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I had a few hours to kill and had already done everything downtown so I decided to head out to the old Grant home.

There was a 15 minute video on Ulysses and Julia Grant and their tie to the home. The ranger walked us to the residence and gave us a quick briefing and let us roam around inside and on through the other buildings on-site (chicken coop, ice house, and stable).

It was sad to learn that Grant's belongings had burned in a fire where they were storing them back in the 1800's so the furnishings are not original. The tour provided basic info and in the stable there is a museum offering detailed info on Ulysses and Julia.

The weather was amazing so the tour was all the more enjoyable. This would not be at the top of my list of things to do in the area but it is worth it if you have the time!

Visited August 2012
lexington,ky
11 attraction reviews
“Terrible rangers.Good thing this wasn't a true desired destination....just a passport stamp.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We stopped here purely to allow our daughter to earn a junior ranger badge and get a passport stamp. We called 2 hours ahead of time to find out when they closed, etc. We found out the last tour was at 4. We said we will be there by 4. We again called 7 minuted until 4 and stated that we would be there by 4. We arrived at 4:00 and 12 seconds -by their clocks. The tour had left 5 minutes before. We could not figure out why they would have done this when we had spoken to them 2 minutes prior to the actual tour leaving. As well as we were told twice the tour left at 4 and nothing about 3:55. But, when you know someone is coming seriously - you can't wait one extra minute? Anyway, the rangers stated we could not join the group.

The rangers did this to another family as well but in regards to the petting zoo - don't know what these rangers were thinking.

The other family and my family chose to join the tour group anyway. The tour was laughable.

The other family had been told to be back by 4:22 because that was the next and last viewing time of the movie. Both of our families arrived back by 4:22. The ranger refused to start the movie until 4:34 because he was waiting for another family. Ok.......wait a minute....back up. We had to wait 12 minutes for a family and yet we called and you couldn't wait 12 seconds?

I actually asked for a complaint form and was DENIED. Said they didn't know what I was referring to. I walked away. My son said Mom did you see the comment box? I went back to the desk and asked again. The ranger pulled out a handbook and said I have an issue giving one to you because of .....I don't know what he said at this point....I was seeing red. I again demanded a complaint form and was promptly given one at this point.

Poorly run program....Very unhelpful and rude rangers.

Visited July 2012
Arlene J, Chief of Interpretation at Ulysses S. Grant National Historical Site, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your visit. The site superintendent, Timothy Good, would be willing to talk with you about your experience. If you are interested in speaking with him, please call him at (314) 842-1867 ext 222.
St. Louis MO.
23 attraction reviews
“Looking at the past, today”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

This is a great place to go and look at history of how Ulysses S. Grant lived during his time and how life was with the challenges and life's rewards. Well maintained and right next to Grant's farm which is a must see.

Visited June 2012