“Beautiful, miraculous, and historic” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #64 of 329 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: The Shrine is a beautifully retored 19th century Catholic church. St Joseph was built for German immigrants and staffed by Jesuit priests. We offer a Catholic mass every Sunday at 11am and a tour of the church follows each mass.
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Beautiful, miraculous, and historic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a fantastic place to visit if you are interested in the history of the Catholic Church in St. Louis. Many interesting stories and a rich heritage of support in the area.

Visited December 2012

Saint Louis, Missouri
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Awesome -”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stay for the tour after Mass to understand why this church is so amazing! It is amazing how this church was left for basically 'dead' until the area started a drive to repair this beautiful church.

Visited May 2012
Chicago, Illinois
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Call First but Make Sure to Go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

JMJ This lovely church isn't opened all the time so please call first and make sure you will be admitted. This is the sight of a miraculous healing and the history of the people and finances involved make it a very special site. Gold is used unsparingly and the artwork rare in today's churches. Take your prayers here and lift up your soul.

Visited November 2012
St. Louis
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just one of the many beautiful gothic churches in St.Louis, reminds me of the church of my childhood. Popular place for weddings!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Little Bit of Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

While spending the night in St. Louis, I perused tripadvisor for city attractions my husband and I could see the next morning. I came across the Shrine and after reading its history, put it on my agenda. After breakfast, we we walked a few blocks to the church. To my disappointment, the doors were locked. Not wanting to give up so easily, I started walking around the church grounds. I met a custodian who was nice enough to walk us to the old rectory connecting the church. He said there were usually volunteers there who may be able to let us in. We rang the bell, and the sweetest elderly gentleman ("Monday Ray"... it was a Monday:) graciously agreed to give us a tour, even though we didn't have an appointment. He did a wonderful job telling us about the history of the church. The restoration of this gorgeous building was nothing short of a miracle and brought tears to our eyes when we learned about the tragedy that had occurred to bring about this multi-million dollar restoration. We never did get to the arch, but who cares! (My husband is not even Catholic but enjoyed this very much.)

Visited October 2012