“Call First but Make Sure to Go!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 145 attractions in Saint Louis
Type: Religious Sites
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The Shrine is a beautifully retored 19th century Catholic church. St Joseph was built for German immigrants and staffed by Jesuit priests. We offer a Catholic mass every Sunday at 11am and a tour of the church follows each mass.
Chicago, Illinois
72 attraction reviews
“Call First but Make Sure to Go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

JMJ This lovely church isn't opened all the time so please call first and make sure you will be admitted. This is the sight of a miraculous healing and the history of the people and finances involved make it a very special site. Gold is used unsparingly and the artwork rare in today's churches. Take your prayers here and lift up your soul.

Visited November 2012

St. Louis
47 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just one of the many beautiful gothic churches in St.Louis, reminds me of the church of my childhood. Popular place for weddings!

“Little Bit of Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

While spending the night in St. Louis, I perused tripadvisor for city attractions my husband and I could see the next morning. I came across the Shrine and after reading its history, put it on my agenda. After breakfast, we we walked a few blocks to the church. To my disappointment, the doors were locked. Not wanting to give up so easily, I started walking around the church grounds. I met a custodian who was nice enough to walk us to the old rectory connecting the church. He said there were usually volunteers there who may be able to let us in. We rang the bell, and the sweetest elderly gentleman ("Monday Ray"... it was a Monday:) graciously agreed to give us a tour, even though we didn't have an appointment. He did a wonderful job telling us about the history of the church. The restoration of this gorgeous building was nothing short of a miracle and brought tears to our eyes when we learned about the tragedy that had occurred to bring about this multi-million dollar restoration. We never did get to the arch, but who cares! (My husband is not even Catholic but enjoyed this very much.)

Visited October 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
48 attraction reviews
“Breathtaking beauty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Recently attended a wedding and had never been in this church even though I live in St Louis. WOW...........beautifu! It is hard to believe at one point they were going to tear down this church! The chuch has great history and the restoration work is beautiful!

Perfect for a special wedding location or perhaps a special mass for a family celebration.

Visited September 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
“inspiring”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

It is the most beautiful and historical. Have been to many weddings there. Historical and fantastic. Park in private parking area. Not the best part of town.