“Great food, awesome owner, service left me wanting.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #135 of 2,549 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Toledo, Ohio
“Great food, awesome owner, service left me wanting.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I was enticed to visit by, yet again, Man vs. Food. I ordered the vegetable beef soup first and it was outstanding. I then ordered their magnum opus, the Monte Cristo Dog. The Chicago Red Hots were tender and tasted great with the jam spread on the hot dog buns. The server was a bit snarky when I asked him where Red Hots can be purchased. He didn't know and didn't seem to care if I knew either, oh well. Go here, get the Monte Cristo Dog and you won't be disappointed.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great atmosphere, I think I ordered the wrong thing though”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

I have been wanting to stop by the Iron Barley for a while, so I went for lunch and got a bacon burger. They crumble bacon right into the meat. It was kind of dry though. It was the definition of okay. The atmosphere was very neat though. Lots of interesting things to look at. The bartender was super duper nice. I posted on facebook I had a burger and got replies saying I should have ordered something else. I guess they do other things better. I will probably go back since I live so close.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati
“Bad Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Now I do have to say, the food was good. But, it was a staff member who ruined it for us. We had traveled from Cincinnati to meet family whom had traveled from Little Rock and Fayetteville Ark to meet us. Our waitress (we did not get her name, but wore a denim skirt and cowboy boots) was rather rude from the gitgo. She didn't really want to be there. We were not given the option of splitting the order from the start and when it was time to leave, she blew up in our face and told us, "I asked you if you wanted separate tickets in the first place, (which she did not) and then couldn't get the bill separated correctly as she got louder and more hateful as the process went on. Finally I had the wife just pick up the tab so we could get out of there as the waitress was making a horrible scene about the ordeal. Needless to say this ruined our dining experience there. We will not be back nor recommend this establishment.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
illinois
“good meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

saw this place on the food network so went down on a saturday afternoon the food was great and the service was some of the best i ever had it is a great time

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Don't know what the hype is all about...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Went there with my family and wow. Service was good, but the food was really bad. We ordered the daily special and it was awful... All bones. The Zarzuela was ok, nothing really special. Then, we ordered the banana blaster and to say it tastes like dirty ice is the least. We won't be coming back...