“OK for St Louis” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 124 hotels in Saint Louis
Racine, Wisconsin
“OK for St Louis”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I recently stay at this Hilton for three nights while in STL on business. I found the staff to be genuinely nice, the room to be average, the restaurant to be small(but the breakfast buffet was adequate), the bar to be small, and the location to be excellent in proximity to the America's Center.
I just find it so hard to get over the fact that downtown STL is like something out of a zombie apocalypse movie set. It's such an odd downtown for a major US city. There is literally nothing to do downtown once you have seen the Arch.
If I were to stay in STL, downtown, again, then I would opt to stay at the new Embassy Suites across from the convention center.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Mark S, Manager at Hilton St. Louis Downtown at the Arch, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear GlobalMogul, thank you for choosing the Hilton St. Louis and writing a review about your stay in St. Louis. We are delighted you found our staff helpful during your stay. I am pleased to announce our hotel will undergo renovations this fall so we may have a better product for our guests like you. Thank you for your business and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

572 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Hernando, Mississippi, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Very formal hotel lobby and guest rooms. I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past but up until this stay have chosen other downtown Hilton properties, recently. First the positive, the hotel is very nice and clean. All rooms seems to be of different size due to it being an historic building that was retrofitted to be a hotel. The hotel seems to be lacking in customer service. They are the only Hilton property that fails to recognize gold and diamond members with a full complimentary breakfast. Also, this is the only hotel I have ever stayed in where each morning you have to walk around housekeeping staff's piles of bedding in the hallway. I know all beds have to be stripped down regularly but do the sheets have to be piled in the hallway for guest to walk around and step over? The front desk staff seems to try to be courteous but most of them seem like it takes extra effort, I do not know if it is their personality or management/ownership. With other Hilton properties in the downtown area, this property will not be my first choice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Mark S, Manager at Hilton St. Louis Downtown at the Arch, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear BP, thank you for your review about your recent stay in St. Louis. We are disappointed you did not have an excellent stay at our hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you encountered. I have taken measures to correct the issues mentioned in the review so we may better serve you in the future. We want all our guests to feel welcome and cared for and I appreciate the opportunity to make things right. If I may be of additional assistance to you please feel free to contact me at mark.sugars@hilton.com. Thank you for your business and safe travels to you and yours.
Phoenix, az.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Don't judge a book by it's cover is a great saying for this hotel. It is in an old bank building, but the rooms are modern and clean with keeping with the older theme. The bathrooms are spotless, and the tile work is pretty.
As far as location it is very central, but still in a nice area to walk around. Many restaurants and small markets for last minute items are close by.

Room Tip: I would ask for a higher floor away from the street just because of normal street noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Susan2137, thank you for your review about our boutique hotel. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us in our beautiful city of St. Louis. 2013 is a big year for us with many new upgrades and improvements to our hotel. We are almost complete with the exterior renovations to the hotel and we cannot wait until he crew start inside later this fall. We hope to see you again so we can show off our new look. Thank you for your business and safe travels to you and yours.
Clackamas, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I just stayed at the Hilton Downtown St Louis for the Race for the Cure. I am Hilton Honors Gold. I was booked on the special event rate for 3 of my nights & was given the same rate for the additional night - - along with an upgrade to the very large, corner room for all of the nights. Since I am Gold, I was given drinks coupons & the continental breakfast.

My room was very large with a king bed. As this is an old building renovated to a hotel, the room did not have the standard layout. (See photos).

There are other hotels in the area - Hyatt & Crown Plaza, but I would pick this hotel over the others. I had a friend staying in the Hyatt, my room was far superior. She came over to my hotel for drinks & she liked my hotel better.

Breakfast was very standard - nothing special, nothing added or changed during my stay - - so if I had been eating it every day, I would have been tired of it. They did have eggs cooked to order if you wanted.

Great location - - only a few blocks to the Arch, Old Courthouse, Mississippi River, etc. (Hotel does not have a few of the Arch.) The other sights to see in downtown St Louis are a few miles away. Easy walking to both stadiums.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Pink Survivor, thank you for sharing with the Trip Advisor Community and us about your visit to St. Louis. We are very pleased you enjoyed our boutique hotel in the heart of the city. There are many new upgrades and improvements to our hotel this year and we hope you will have the opportunity to enjoy them. Thank you for your business and safe travels to you and yours.
Decatur, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Staff was friendly and helpful, recommended several different restaurant that were in walking distance. Rooms were clean and bed comfortable though the room we had was small. Food was reasonably priced and fresh. Breakfast buffet was tasty. Did not care for the coffee.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Jamie M, thank you for the 5 Star Review. We are so delighted you enjoyed your stay with us in St. Louis. Our boutique hotel is just minutes from most attractions and we are pleased you shared this information with the Trip Advisor Community. Thank you for your business and safe travels to you and yours.
Waukegan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The kids and I loved staying at the Hilton Downtown. It was extremely close to the Arch, and we loved the nostalgic feel of the hotel. It was beautiful. The staff was very helpful with directions, since we were traveled mostly on foot or used public transportation. We will definitely stay here in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Mark S, Manager at Hilton St. Louis Downtown at the Arch, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Deanna B, Thank you for your wonderful review. We are so pleased you and your family had a great time in St. Louis and enjoyed your stay at our Hilton. St. Louis is a fun town for families and we are in the heart of it all. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon. Safe travels!!
Fairfax Station, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I moved to this hotel after staying at the Hilton at the Ball Park, what a relief! The hotel was modern and well-kept even though the building was an old structure! The staff was very helpful, especially Jon in the restaurant (he's the one that helped me decide to move). The room was plenty big enough for one person however the lighting was a little dim for my liking. The housekeeping staff were nice but seemed to move a little slow. Some days my room was never cleaned. I told them not to worry about one day but not three! The gym was sufficient. Parking was next door and always had spaces. The restaurant was a bit pricey but it was a hotel! The morning breakfast buffet was not the best, had minimal items to choose from. The morning restaurant staff was there but after the first cup of coffee or orange juice, they did not appear to have much motivation. None of those were show stoppers and I would most definitely stay again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear PW7382, Thank you for choosing our Hilton. We are honored to have you as our guest and we appreciate your honest feedback. We want all our guests to feel welcome and cared for and I shall follow up with the areas that fell short of expectations. Thank you for your business and we look forward to your next arrival. Until then, safe travels to you and yours.

Been to Hilton St. Louis Downtown at the Arch? Share your experiences!