“Exceptional Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 124 hotels in Saint Louis
Spring, Texas
“Exceptional Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I took my friend here for his birthday in December 2012. It was my second stay at this historic hotel and I love its ambience and the super helpful and friendly staff. I am a Hilton Diamond member so they upgraded my reservation to their presidential suite! Wow, was it great! The hotel is also within walking distance of the Arch, a couple of blocks from the best casino in the area and easy to get to.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark S, Manager at Hilton St. Louis Downtown at the Arch, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Robert2861, The staff and I are very pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Hilton St. Louis Downtown. We appreciate you taking time to write a review and letting others know that our boutique hotel has great personalized service and a wonderful location to area attractions. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

593 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I decided to stay downtown on this business trip to STL, so chose this Hilton property (I'm an HHonors member) since it's close to the river/Gateway Arch and I wanted to run across the Mighty Mississippi, which I have done in other cities...and the price was very reasonable.

This is a nice building, which was originally built as a bank in the 1880's, and I love a bit of history in my edifices. There is a warm and friendly bar adjacent to the lobby for relaxing after work or having a bite to eat. The room I stayed in was a good size and well-maintained, with a view of the river and rising sun. The staff for breakfast shift were all very friendly and chatty, and made sure I had what I needed.

I didn't check out the fitness center, so can't report on that, but I did have a nice run across the Eads Bridge to the IL side of the river. It's exactly one mile to the other side of the bridge from the hotel, which made for a quick morning warmup.

Although I didn't rent a car this trip, there is valet at the entrance for those who do.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mlindzy, Thank you for choosing the Hilton St. Louis Downtown and taking time to let us know about your experience. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay in our historic building which was converted into a Hilton in 2005. We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to your next arrival. Thank you for your business.
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This is really a lovely property in an excellent location -- easy walking distance to the Arch,, historic courthouse and a couple of good, reasonable restaurants. The staff are friendly and accommodating. Our room was very nice. Because of other reviews, we specifically asked for a quiet room so noise was no problem. BUT... this is not an inexpensive hotel and they charge for parking and for WIFI in the room. We were travelling for two months and need that WIFI to connect with family and for business, make travel arrangements, etc. Travelers today have computers, "pads", notebooks, kindles, smartphones ... wake up Hilton and Hilton affiliates! This is a regular problem with the Hilton chain and on multiple occasions throughout our travels we opt out of the chain because they do not have free WIFI.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear pattigail44, Thank you for choosing the Hilton St. Louis Downtown and taking time to write a review. The staff and I are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your honest feedback. Hilton Family Hotels have many packages that include parking and Internet to better serve your business needs. We hope you will consider a business package the next time you choose Hilton. Thank you for your business and safe travels to you and yours.
ILLinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed at the Hilton for 2 nights in a king room. Upon entering the hotel I noticed that it was an old bank that was turned into a hotel, it still has the bank name over the vault area that is being used at the hotel store. I have no problem with that cause it works! The front staff was very friendly, and helpful! Upon entering our room I was totally shocked at the size of the room. it was literally the size of a small studio /kitchenette apartment. The bed is literally about 4 ft from the door, and if housekeeping knocks, and decides to just come on in, they are right there in your face. The good thing is that the room was clean...although the light fixtures needed a good dusting. The decor wasn't hard to look at, the carpet was clean and color scheme was good! The towels, and linens were also clean, and the bed was pretty comfortable. The fitness room is a nice size, and offers a number of treadmills, and elliptical, as well as a bike, and weights. I wasn't at all fond of how very, very small the room was, as I like space, but everything else was fine.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Mark S, Manager at Hilton St. Louis Downtown at the Arch, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Savvy Traveler, thank you for choosing the Hilton St. Louis Downtown and taking time out of your day to write a review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate your honest feedback. The building was constructed as a bank in the late 1890's and converted into a Hilton Hotel in 2005. Several of our rooms have different layouts and I apologize the one selected was considered tiny. We have room options to better serve all our guests and we hope you will give us another opportunity to select a larger or corner room during your next visit to St. Louis. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.
Kansas City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I am a regular Hilton guest and am silver status with their frequent guest program. But I will never stay at this hotel again. The staff was very good - but that was all that was good about the hotel. The big issue was noise. This is a very noisy hotel. Slamming doors all night long. Why all hotels don't put devices on doors to prevent them from slamming shut is beyond me. I travel with a noise machine and it didn't make any difference. I was up half the night. When I tried to use the room fan to help block the noise, my room was filled with the smell of cigarette smoke. Gross. Don't stay here unless you are a deaf smoker. Ick.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear DBfromKC, thank you for writing a review about your recent visit to our hotel. We appreciate your honest feedback and we are disappointed you did not enjoy your stay. Please accept my sincere apology and we wish we had the opportunity to hear from you while you were here to resolve the noise issue. Please contact me directly at mark.sugars@hilton.com if you would like to discuss your experience in detail. Thank you for your business and we hope to regain your confidence in our hotel.
Prestwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We were in the US and travelling through St Louis for one night. Trivago showed up a deal at three weeks notice for this famous hotel (George Clooney's "Up in the Air" was filmed here) and my colleague and I thought it would be ideal - close to the Interstate and parking next door. The reception area is amazing - the large vault doors are worth an inspection. The reception staff were incredibly friendly and once in the room (huge and comfortable) I had a great view of the Arch. There were plenty of places to eat nearby (we chose Carmine's, a great Steak restaurant about three blocks south from the Hotel, past the view to the Arch). Check-out was easy with the Zip-out facility on the room phone. Wifi is about $11 per 24 hours and there is CAT5 in the rooms as well. In summary, worth the visit if you can get a deal as it's one of the classic Hilton hotels with a hint of yesteryear.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Arch and end of corridor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Mark S, Manager at Hilton St. Louis Downtown at the Arch, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear MBothwell, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us here in St. Louis. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you soon. Safe travels to you and yours.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Great location in downtown St Louis.
Very close to Busch stadium and Edward Jones Dome. All within a few blocks. The hotel was clean and the room was very spacious. The staff were really polite and helpful, especially the bar staff. The only gripes I would have is the poor Internet and the loudness of the air conditioning. It was far too loud to be able to sleep with it on.
I would still recommend the hotel as overall it was a great experience.

• Stayed October 2012
Mark S, Manager at Hilton St. Louis Downtown at the Arch, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Stephenboyle1972, Thank you for your review about our hotel. We are delighted you enjoyed our Hilton and the sites of St. Louis. Coming all the way from Northern Ireland we hope you enjoyed the baseball game as much as our fans do. GO CARDS! Thank you for your business and we wish you safe travels to you and yours.

Been to Hilton St. Louis Downtown at the Arch? Share your experiences!