“Authentic New Orleans Food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Broadway Oyster Bar

Broadway Oyster Bar
736 S Broadway, Saint Louis, MO 63102-1602 (Downtown)
314-621-8811
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Bar scene
Neighborhood: Downtown
Denver, Colorado
“Authentic New Orleans Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

March 2013 - call them to make sure their kitchen remodel is completed! Stopped in here twice, once on Mardi Gras 2013 which was crazy busy with live music, people dancing... great fun... despite the crowd, the server kept in touch every few minutes. Had red beans and rice - GREAT! saw some grilled shrimp fly by to another table so I vowed to return. On my return is when I found their kitchen was out and they had no grill... only "pot" meals like red beans and rice and cold sandwiches... Ambiance is low key "roadhouse" with dining area on the side of the building in a heated area in winter - don't worry like I did... they have these incredible heaters above that keep you toasty warm! Also, before going there, check to see if the Cardinal baseball team is playing at home... this place is ONE BLOCK from the Card's home stadium, so I expect it gets crazy with traffic on game days.
I will be returning to Broadway Oyster Bar for grilled shrimp when I return to St. Louis.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
JohnJSt_Louis_Mo_, Owner at Broadway Oyster Bar, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
We are so glad that you had a great time on Mardi Gras (and thereafter). Thanks for the fabulous review! We strive to make our customers happy, so it is nice to hear the kind words.

Our kitchen renovations have been completed and our full menu is now available. We hope to see you again soon!

Thanks again,
John

“Renovating...very limited menu. Still good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

The crawfish bisque was delish! It had tons of meat in it which was a nice surprise. The BBQ sliders were just okay, but I won't judge an oyster bar by their pork... I really wanted to try the fish tacos so I'll go back when the kitchen renovations are done.
This place has a great location and atmosphere. There was live music on a Monday night which was pretty cool. The service was fast. There is no need to dress up so come as you are. Good place to chill with friends.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you so much for the review. We are excited to say that our kitchen renovations are now complete and our regular menu is back in full swing!

We hope to see you again soon.

Thanks for your business,
John
stltraveler47
“If you're in Downtown STL, stop here.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Broadway Oyster Bar is a great place to hang out with friends, listen to some music and have some great food. During baseball season, the owner has a raffle to give away free Cardinal tickets. Awesome fish tacos and grinders. It's a place that doesn't need to manufacture character, like some chain places in town.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
St. Louis
“Nice stop for tourists or locals”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The Broadway Oyster Bar is a pretty legendary hangout after Cardinal games, just as well known for their patio and live music as they are for their food. I hadn't been here for either in probably ten years or so, but I know I've recommended it to tourists and friends probably 50 times. So I may not be a loyal customer, but I'm definitely a fan. Stopping by for lunch the other day, I remembered why I'm a fan. The food is pretty good, the service is fine, but it's the ambience that brings people back. Dusty old jazz posters, a rusty street sign here, a bike hanging on the wall. Okay, it sounds kind of like Applebee's or Fridays, these days, but the addition of graffiti here and there, a bit of schlocky artwork and the dusty patina make it stand out as an original. The doors and steps are creaky, there are wires hanging down from the ceiling. The place has character and it just makes you want to have some fun.

We had a dozen Peel n Eat Shrimp, a bowl of crab bisque, a bronzed snapper po'boy and some chicken tenders for the little one. Yes, it's okay to bring kids here for lunch, no question. Not sure it'd be the best place for them on a Saturday night, and there's no kids menu, but it's fine. The shrimp were the stand-out - I can't remember the last time I've had shrimp this big, and the dipping sauce was awesome. The snapper was a pretty good sandwich. In case you're wondering, bronzed is kind of like blackened, just not black. Prices are about what you'd expect from a place that has a good tourist crowd - a little high, but not ridiculous.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
st louis, mo
“great spot, delicious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We have had some great experiences with restaurants (non chain) in Saint Louis and this place topped it for us tonight. First, our waiter Josh was so friendly and genuinely happy to be there, making us feel welcome and comfortable. Friday during Lent had us enjoying amazing seafood that was certainly no sacrifice. We had an oyster poboy, mussels, two soups, tomato with grilled cheese croutons and crawfish bisque, and a decadent bread pudding for dessert. As a Louisiana girl, I am picky about anything labeled creole or cajun. This place topped some of my favorite places in Louisiana. We will be back for the dungeness crab as recoomended by another wait staff. What a fun new discovery in Saint Louis!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere