“Absolutely Devine!” 5 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The King & I
3157 S Grand Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63118-1020 (Tower Grove)
314-771-1777
Neighborhood: Tower Grove
Chelsea, Massachusetts
“Absolutely Devine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

This really was one of the best meals I've ever had in a restaurant. The crab rangoon's were the best EVER! They were so thick and stuffed full of cream. I also ordered the chicken fried rice which was full of flavor. I can't wait to return!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Placencia
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I live outside the United States and used to look forward to eating at The King and I, particularly for their vegetarian Pad Thai. The last 2 or 3 meals have been very disappointing and I doubt that I'll eat there again. This trip, the Pad Thai was greasy, had little flavor, no extra peanuts and no bamboo shoots. (How vegetarian Pad Thai could be made greasy is beyond me.) Others with me were equally unimpressed with their meals. Could this be a case of getting too big?

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
St louis
“Favorite Thai but they've toned down the heat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

King & I has been my favorite restaurant for 20 years. I love everything I order from here whether eat in or take out, all at very reasonable prices. Dishes have gone up a couple of $ over that time which is expected but I have been let down since their last renovation in one aspect: SPICE. They used to offer 1-5 American and 1-5 Thai hot. All the servers knew the questions to ask inquisitive diners and advise to their heat recommendations.
My last visit in Oct 2013 the server did not ask my heat preference, and then only offered mild/med/hot. when I asked about the old heat scale (their website had been built upon their heat reputation) she seemed to have never heard about it.
I still love the King & I above all others but I will miss the only restaurant that tested my limits in this aspect.

Visited October 2013
Wentzville, MO
“Average Thai - good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

It's a lunch stop for me once in a while. The food is consistent. The service is usually pretty good. But when I compare it to my favorite Thai place, it's no contest which one wins. There's just something missing here and I don't know what it is. The Thai iced tea is good, the food is good, but I'm not compelled to go back often and I can't explain why. I will say that their hot pepper you add with a spoon to your food (like the dried red ground up stuff..) will SET YOU ON FIRE if you're into that (which I am..) - I don't know what they do to that stuff but WOW - it's HOT! If you're in the area and looking for Thai it's a good choice, but I think there are other better choices in town. Parking is a nuisance here - I really don't like to try to find a place to park when I go here - it can be problematic at times.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Thai with a twist but it works!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This well-known and long established restaurant has undergone at least two transformations since I discovered it in 1989. It went from traditional Thai to a Thai fusion that, despite its somewhat alien and original dishes, works like a charm. No matter what I've had here, it's been terrific and it's been a magnet for locals and tourists alike for decades. A must if you're in St. Louis.

Visited September 2013