“Great Steak House in Downtown St. Louis” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carmine's Steak House

Carmine's Steak House
20 S 4th St, Saint Louis, MO 63102-1809 (Downtown)
314-241-1631
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Walnut Street
Description: Carmine's Steak House, located in the heart of downtown St. Louis in the new Drury Plaza Hotel, promises and delivers the finest in aged steaks, hand-cut chops, rack of lamb, chicken and seafood entrees, as well as Lombardo's signature toasted ravioli. With private rooms that can accommodate up to 170 people and nightly complimentary valet parking, Carmine's offers convenience for tourists, business meetings and local diners alike.
“Great Steak House in Downtown St. Louis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

If you like tender, well prepared, food and attentive service, Carmine's should be on your list. The menu leans toward meat, of course, although they do offer seafood entrées including fish, shrimp, and scallops. We are early diners so we were seated immediately and attended by Todd, a knowledgeable and friendly server. Declining the appealing appetizer selections, we went right to the main course after ordering a bottle of Australian Shiraz. My wife had an 8 ounce filet with a baked potato accompaniment. I ordered the veal chop with an au gratin potato dish. We also ordered the sautéed mushrooms and onions to accompany the meat. Both of our entrees were cooked perfectly and tasted even better. The only comment on the food is that the sautéed mushroom and onion dish was a lot more onion than mushroom. The manager offered up a dish of just sautéed mushrooms when we made a comment, so the restaurant is responsive to even small issues brought to their attention. For dessert, we shared the cheesecake with caramel sauce, an excellent and tasty choice.

Now for the only issue that we noticed, which was an irritant and not, in our experience, normal in a fine steakhouse. The baked potato, ordered with my wife's steak came with the offer of toppings. When the bill came, we noticed that we were charged extra for the small amount of bacon, chives, and cheese toppings they served her. Plus the restaurant charged us for the caramel sauce drizzle on the cheesecake, even thought the dessert tray had a drizzle on the example dessert. These charges are a small part of the overall bill, but Carmine's should notify its guests of those small extra charges when the food is ordered. We were a bit miffed.

Overall, a great experience. We will go again the next time we are in St. Louis.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Michael L, Manager at Carmine's Steak House, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Sir,

I wanted to start by thanking you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your experience. We always appreciate when our guests take time out of their busy schedules to let us know how we are doing, good or bad. It goes a long way to ensure customer satisfaction and repeat business.

In regards to the up-charges for the extras on the baked potato and cheesecake, I wanted to apologize for not making you aware of those prior to ordering them. I can understand how unexpected charges on a check would be unsettling. In the past, we have encountered instances where informing a customer that there were up-charges for bacon and cheddar cheese on a baked potato or sauces on the cheesecake are extra before the order is put in has resulted in them feeling insulted for bringing up those amounts. At the same time, we've also had customers like yourself who like to be made aware of any extra charges that may be on the bill, no matter what they might be. This results in a bit of a catch 22 for us. The staff is instructed to let the customers know that the cheesecake comes plain, however we also offer the different sauce options and that the baked potato comes with butter and sour cream, but we also offer the extras for that item as well.

We are currently in the process of incorporating new procedures that will please every customer in this matter and I wanted to again extend my deepest apologies. The rest of your review sounds like your overall experience was a pleasant one, and for that, I am happy that we could provide that experience. I hope that we get the opportunity to see you in the future, and again, appreciate your business and feedback.

Skip Hayden
Asst. GM

Wytheville
“Outstanding!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Attending the Veterans of Foreign Wars National Convention in St. Louis we went to Carmines not knowing what to expect. Was a little more pricey than we were used to .. but .. it was worth every penny. I had the herb crusted chicken and my wife had the pork chops.. The food was GREAT ..service was outstanding .. staff were very friendly and attentive .. we will definitely go back if we go to St. Loius again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Michael L, General Manager at Carmine's Steak House, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Thank you for your review, and more importantly, thank you for your service! We look forward to hopefully seeing you again.
“Great steak, awesome dessert...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We visited on a slow Tuesday night. Great salads, steak butter was amazing on our 8 oz filets. Best of all were the desserts. I ordered the multi layer chocolate cake (marble cake, chocolate mousse and white chocolate mousse filling with chocolate ganache on top) and my wife had the cheesecake. Quite possibly the best desserts we've ever had. My steak was cooked more medium rare than medium (which I don't mind but the next guy might) and my wife's was right on the money. Service was great too.

Visited July 2014
Thank you for spending the time to post your review. Im happy to hear your rave reviews about our dessert, we appreciate it.
Omaha, Nebraska
“Very nice dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Great great service. Went here after baseball game and had a fantastic meal. I had the Cajun scallops which were creative and delicious. Our table had plenty of steaks which were an absolute hit. I'm a wine geek and was pleased when our bottle was served at perfect cellar temperature. This restaurant was not our first choice but after tonight we will plan on returning. As a bonus they sold us a couple bottles at retail to take back to our rooms. Keep this place in mind when you're downtown.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thanks for your review, and we are glad you enjoyed everything. You also have a good taste in wine as the bottle you drank is one of my personal favorites. Thank you again.
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Friendly and attentive staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I felt very well taken care of. The staff was great. I only had a dinner salad and shrimp cocktail. I did hear some other patrons rave about their steaks.

Visited July 2014
Michael L, Manager at Carmine's Steak House, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for the kind words. We take a lot of pride in the service that we give to our customers and we're very glad to hear when it is both up to par and appreciated. Thank you for your visit and we hope to see you again in the future.