“Very surprised!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Springfield, Illinois
“Very surprised!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

My husband and I went there for our Anniversary/Valentine's Day evening. I was extremely surprised by the layout of the place! The lobby was very nice and the gentleman that checked us in was extremely nice and helpful. The room was excellent and I loved the shower (waterfall)! The bed was comfortable and the room was very relaxed and modern. The room reminded me of a smaller version of The Mirage hotel room. The casino was very open and the ventilation was great since this is a smoking casino. I didn't feel crowded while wandering through the slot machines. Drinks were overpriced. We went to two different bars and got two different prices for two beers and also the draft beer cost more than the bottle beer (which is surprising). The staff there, from cleaning crew to floor personnel, were friendly and we chatted with a few (some I knew from previous employment at the Casino Queen). I can see why some people left working at the Casino Queen to go to this establishment. Great place overall! Will be back again and have recommended it to a lot of peope so far!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Gerad H, Director of Hotel & Development at River City Casino & Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us for your Valentine's Day weekend and leaving such great feedback. It is always nice to share special occasions with our guests. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay so much. We feel our guests really do enjoy our rooms and especially the bathroom/showers. I do want to apologize though for the inconsistent experience you received at the casino bars. I have alerted our F&B Director who will address immediately.

Thank you once again for staying with us and i hope we get to serve you as our guest again in the future.

Gerad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Washington, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I've read on other reviews that the property is hard to navigate. It's not. Just look for the part of the building that looks like a hotel and drive toward it. Check in was easy and quick, and at 830 pm on a Friday night we somehow managed to get a smoking room. So that was awesome. The bellman was quite the character. I must say that I had a very solid understanding of remote control usage protocol by the time he was done debriefing us. The bed was amazingly comfortable. The shower was awesome. I had no issue with water pressure. I think there was a pressure adjustment thing on one of the shower heads. The food in the two restaurants we visited (Lewy Nine's and the Beerhouse) was great. I'm pretty sure room service comes from Lewy Nine's. Oh, we also had burgers from the burger place. They were much better than I thought they'd be, but nothing spectacular. Unlike many other places, this hotel didn't care that we brought some of our own alcohol, which was super cool. They even let us use their corkscrew. Had to go down to the desk, but still. Beats using a key and drinking cork dust. We drank quite a bit at the bar in the casino, and did enough gambling to warrant a 3 night room comp; however, apparently that isn't enough gambling to be approached by the cocktail waitresses. Which is just fine with me, as they look like teenagers clad in scraps from grandma's 1970's velour couch. Anyway, yeah. Coming back in March to stay again.

Room Tip: Smoking rooms are apparently all on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for staying with us and leaving such great feedback. With staying for three nights, you certainly got the entire experience and I am so happy that you loved it! We truly have extremely comfortable rooms and wonderful restaurants that feature outstanding food. It is great you got to experience all we have to offer. I do want to apologize though for the lack of beverage service you received in the casino. We want each of our guests to feel well served so I will absolutely address that with our team.

Thank you once again for staying with us and I hope we get to serve you as our guest again in the future. We are delighted to be your NEW FAVORITE!!

Burbank, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Hotel was OK. I was bummed that there was no bathtub, as soaking helps take the bite out of long flights, but only a shower (though it was a nice shower.)
Slot machines were very tight, and for some reason more than a few of them had no sound, and no way to turn on or raise volume. Not sure why the sounds add to the experience, but without sound I got bored quickly (plus, tight slots as I mentioned.)
Only one bar was open the Thursday I was there! which seemed strange for the relative size of the place, which made it take a while to get a drink. Also, the entire two days I was there one cocktail waitress approached me once. Once. That's it, and I tip well, so maybe they just don't have enough staff.
The food at the take-out burger place was very good, made well and fresh, and was reasonably priced - a rarity in a casino.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and leaving your comments. We absolutely appreciate that you chose River City and welcome the feedback. I am sorry you missed having a tub as an amenity in our room. Most of our guests really enjoy the wonderful oversized shower with the relaxing overhead rain shower. Couple that with the built in LCD TV in the mirror and many fall in love with the overall bathroom experience quickly.

I also apologize for the lack of beverage service you received in the casino throughout your stay. We want each of our guests to feel well served and I will absolutely address this with our staff.

Thank you again for staying with us and I hope we get the chance to serve you again in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

We picked this hotel as a nice reprieve from a long road trip. What a fabulous surprise! You never know with casino hotels - sometimes the professional photos are far too complimentary. Not so in this case.
This hotel is absolutely beautiful and luxurious. Brand new clean with careful attention to detail: there is a TV embedded in the bathroom shower, an amazing rain shower to spoil you, and a very comfy bed.
There is also an excellent, huge, Vegas style casino, several very elegant bars and restaurants, a buffet, and some good lower priced options for food. One stop shopping!
We got a good deal, so found it excellent value over other hotels. we didn't really want to stay in downtown St Louis - or the suburbs - so this was the ideal solution. Easy to get there and then back on the highway. Free parking and free valet parking. The security is also excellent here. The staff (Thanks Rod) was excellent!

Room Tip: If you want to walk the extra distance, there are rooms that overlook the River.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for staying with us! We absolutely appreciate you choosing River City and love the great feedback on the hotel, restaurants, and casino. As you mention, our location is ideal for those guests that do not want to stay in downtown STL or farther out in the suburbs. What’s really nice is we are still just minutes from all best the city offers.

Thank you once again for staying with us and we look forward to serving you as our guest again in the future.

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I enjoyed staying at the new River City hotel. Very comfortable and luxurious, loved it. I had a couple friends come by the room who also enjoyed it. I ordered room service in the morning for breakfast and it was delicious.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Gerad H, Director of Hotel & Development at River City Casino & Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us and leaving such great feedback. I am extremely happy you had the opportunity to stay in our new hotel and even more thrilled you enjoyed it. Your wonderful comments on your stay of "comfortable, luxurious, friends enjoyed it, delicious room service" are why we love serving our guests! Creating that positive experience is just as exciting for us as it is for our guests.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to serving you as our guest again in the future.

Belleville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed for two nights in January (Wednesday-Thursday). Check in was quick. The rooms were really nice for a casino hotel in St Louis. The TV in the bathroom mirror was a fun extra. Pillows were soft and the bed was comfortable. The restaurants we tired were the Beer
House and the Steakhouse. Both were good. Prices at the steak house were expensive for St Louis, but the food was great and the wine list was impressive. The Beer House has a nice beer selection and some darn good sandwiches. Two things we did not like about our stay: 1) no fridge in the room and 2) only one of the restaurants serves breakfast, starting at 7:00 am. Another thing to note, is the location of the hotel. This area has little to do in the surrounding neighborhood. If your not there for the Casino action or a quiet romantic getaway, you may want to consider other places to stay.

Room Tip: South View Rooms have the best view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Gerad H, Director of Hotel & Development at River City Casino & Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us and leaving positive feedback. I am happy that you enjoyed our comfortable accommodations and wonderful restaurants. The 1904 Steak House truly has great food and as you mentioned an impressive wine list. In fact, the wine selection was recognized with the Wine Spectator’s 2013 Award of Excellence!

Thank you again for staying with us. On your next visit, please let the reservationist know you would like an in room refrigerator and we will place one prior to your arrival. This service is always complimentary and we have plenty to accommodate guest requests. We look forward to serving you as our guest again.

Imperial, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed January 2nd Thursday and January 3rd Friday , for a night out together . We enjoyed the casino and restaurants. very nice , comfortable . Jerry the bellman was so very nice and helpful , great staff all around. Great time , me and my husband can't wait to go back!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for staying with us and leaving such wonderful feedback. I am so happy that you and your husband had such a great experience! Our team truly loves meeting and taking care of our guests and as you mentioned our Bellman Jerry is an absolute ROCK STAR! People love his genuine, caring nature and overall sense of humor.

Gerad

Been to River City Casino & Hotel? Share your experiences!