“Very Nice, Helpful Staff - with a few missing details” 4 of 5 stars

The Parkway Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4550 Forest Park Boulevard, Saint Louis, MO 63110   |
Ranked #23 of 124 hotels in Saint Louis
Washington DC
“Very Nice, Helpful Staff - with a few missing details”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The Parkway is a very nice hotel. It's just about a two block walk through the medical school campus to get to the metrolink train. It's a nice walk, well lit, with foot traffic all hours of the day and night. The hotel is attached to an Applebee's and immediately across the street there's a Panera Bread (for some reason the chain is called St Louis Bread in this city). Other shops and restaurants are within sight and it's an easy train ride into the downtown convention center area or out to the airport.

The hotel lobby has plenty of comfortable couches. A real fire burning in the fireplace drives away the chill. There is coffee, tea, and fresh-popped popcorn. The breakfast was very popular - lots of choices for basics like cereal and nice hot foods in buffet trays. There isn't a business center, per se, but there are two PCs in the lobby with black & white printers that are free to use - I was so happy to have that. The desk staff had paperclips and staplers, and offered to help with faxes.

The staff were all friendly and tremendously helpful. I arrived in the morning for a conference being held downtown. The desk clerk immediately looked to see if she could check me in (even though the sign on the counter plainly says "check in 4:00pm) - but since there wasn't a room available yet, she offered to hold my bag so I could get started with my day. Similarly, on my last day, I checked out early and again they offered to hold my bag so I didn't have to haul it around town.

The room was spacious, the bed was comfortable, the desk was a good work-space, the lamps were bright, the clock radio and TV worked perfectly. The thermostat was easy to figure out. There is wifi in the lobby - there isn't wifi provided by the hotel in the room (but I was on the 2nd floor and close enough to pick up signal from the Applebee's next door). My room had a huge walk-in shower with no bathtub. This was fine with me, and can be plus if you have accessibility concerns, but you should ask if you have a preference one way or the other. Also, in addition to the normal "do not disturb" tags, the room also had a hang-tag that says "Pet in room - please do not enter." I wasn't traveling with my pet, but as a pet owner who often has trouble finding places that will welcome my dog, I see this as a huge potential plus.

Now for the details... This is a good hotel that could be a great hotel with attention to extra little details. The hotel name is on the front desk wall in metallic letters but the "i" in "St. Louis" has disappeared. In the room, the digital alarm clock was missing its plastic face-plate around the display (the kind that identifies what each little light means: AM, PM, alarm, etc). There was no shower curtain in my bathroom - at first I assumed it was absent on purpose because it was an accessible walk-in shower, but on the second day housekeeping hung one up so I think it was an oversight. There are two toilet paper roll dispensers, but one roll wouldn't turn. The room's guide folder has specific instructions for how to identify and use the ethernet provided in the room, but there was no ethernet cable (I crawled under the desk to make sure). There were only two pillows provided on the king-sized bed, and one was lumpy. Really, really lumpy. None of these things make-or-break a stay, and most can be fixed, but I am a detail-oriented person and things do add up.

These are the reasons this hotel got 4 marks instead of 5. But it really was a nice place to stay and I WOULD recommend it. (Also - during the Missouri Valley Basketball "Arch Madness" tournament, the hotels by the Arch are filled to the brim with shouting, cheering, partying basketball fans. My friends who stayed at the conference hotel by the Arch had a terrible time with noise and disruption, while I slept peacefully at the Parkway.)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

303 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Parkway the evening before my interview at Wash U. The department I was interviewing with paid for my room, so I really cannot comment on the value.

The hotel has an excellent location, in the Central West End of St. Louis, adjacent to the beautiful Forest Park. The hotel is connected by skybridge to Barnes-Jewish Hospital, which is connected to St. Louis Children's Hospital.

My room was excellent: spacious, clean, comfortable bed with ample pillows, and a nice bathroom. The hotel staff was very pleasant, and helpful. Everyday at 5 pm the hotel serves delicious cookies in the lobby (definately get one!).

Overall it was an excellent stay, I strongly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013
Joplin, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Once again The Parkway Hotel shows their superior service after our recent stay! Not only did we again enjoy the complimentary popcorn, fresh baked cookies, and breakfast buffet, but were treated like part of the family!! After a 3 day stay for medical reasons, I unfortunately forgot my pillow that travels with me. Upon returning home and discovering my mistake, I called the hotel and was quickly transferred to the security office that handles lost and found. They did indeed have my pillow and when I asked if they could ship it to me, they informed me it would be their pleasure. When I tried to give them a credit card number to pay for the shipping, I was told there would be no charge! I received my pillow by FedEx in only 2 days!! The Parkway Hotel goes above and beyond what I consider regular service and I won't stay any where else on our next trip to St. Louis!!!

Room Tip: If you prefer a room with a view of the street activity, ask for the north side. If you want a more...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
parkway2, Director of Sales at The Parkway Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Hello to you in Joplin MO.
Thank you for taking the time to review the Parkway Hotel.
Not charging people for items left behind is one of the many wonderful things we do for our guests at the Parkway Hotel. We all forget things now and again and we will be happy to get your pillows, very loved stuffed animals, important phone charges and that favorite blouse back to you at no charge.
We hope that during your next trip to St. Louis and the Parkway Hotel you can forgo the Hospital and just get to enjoy all of the things the Parkway Hotel has to offer and all of the places our complimentary shuttle can take you for a fun and exciting day.
Have a safe winter and we look forward to having you visit our Parkway family soon.
Chilliwack, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This hotel was in a great area near local train transportation that takes you to main part of the city. Always very friendly (awesome hot cookies in the evening too, get there early! Nice touch folks!) staff and clean hotel and room. Anything we needed we asked and it was promptly attended to. The complimentary breakfast was better then most that I have seen. Has an Applebee's restaurant in the hotel, great service too! Once again, thanks to the staff for making our stay awesome!

Room Tip: We had a room next to the parkade, its good that we were only there for a convention, ask for a room...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello Sarbeau in Canada: thank you for your review :O) I agree, our complimentary fresh baked cookies are AWESOME! Guests that have stayed with us in the past, begin waiting in our lobby at 5:30PM to catch the first batch of cookies that come out of the oven for the evening. They are indeed one of the many things our guests love to talk about.
Our hotel management and staff loves talking about what we can do to always take care of all of our hotel guests by giving them a relaxing stay and the comforts of home atmosphere.

Keep us in mind when you make your way back to St. Louis and feel free to bring your family and friends (it won't hurt our feelings)
Thanks again for taking the time to review our Hotel. Stay warm and safe travels.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We visited St. Louis for the parents' weekend last October. Due to Hurricane Sandy, we had to cut short our stay by one day. Since we prepaid for all three nights through an online intermediate, we asked for a refund when we returned to New York. However, the hotel insisted that we stayed all three nights and that we had no checkout receipt even though we produced boarding passses to prove the date of departure. We never had this sort of experience staying with the national chains. By the way the free breakfast was horrible.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hello W.C. and thank you for your review... time has sure flown by since you were here in October 2012.
What everyone should know when making a reservation through a Travel site, rather than calling the hotels directly is the fact that you are "their" customer. you make your reservation with the travel site, your confirmation is from the travel site, and you supply payment to the travel site, not the hotel. Therefore, when needing a receipt, the hotel would not have this, all of your transactions were with the third party. You need to contact them. After your conversation with them, and in your case, it had to do with not staying your third night, the third party then contacts hotel to discuss.
In your case, due to the fact that we read the computer programed lock to the guestroom doors, it showed that you stayed 3 nights. Possibly you did not stop at the front desk to let us know you were checking out early. Rule of thumb for everyone out there, If you depart before hotel is expecting you to, you must go to the desk and physically check out. If you do not do this, we assume you are still in your room, we would have no idea that you have left. When the third party calls the hotel with issues such as this, after it is investigated with lock interrogation , we will agree with the 3rd party to give refund and it comes from them not the Hotel, once again, the transaction was not made with Hotel.

On the breakfast topic, we actually get awesome reviews on our complimentary breakfast, not only on line but on our comment cards that fill our basket daily. one negative breakfast comment out of hundreds of thumbs up isn't too bad. We have all the basic items that the chain hotels have and so much more!

Stay safe this winter and enjoy your future travels.
Carterville, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We have to come to St. Louis every 6 weeks to visit Barnes Hospital, and The Parkway Hotel is the only place we will stay. Every time we stay there we are treated like family. The entire staff is friendly and courteous. The rooms are clean, and I can't think of a better place to stay. I really love how the hotel has coffee and assorted teas for the guests. The chocolate chip cookies that are offered in the evening are phenomenal.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice and the staff is wonderful. The front desk, management, housekeeping, bell staff, shuttle drivers all greet you with a smile and treat you like family. The rooms are comfortable. I prefer the upper floors. The breakfast buffet in the morning is tasty and free! I have received better service at this hotel than I have received at a 5 star resort. I like the convenience of the Applebee's and the chocolate chip cookies and popcorn at night. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance. The shuttle will take you to the zoo or anywhere near the hotel. I've taken the metro to see a Cards game. Overall the Parkway Hotel is wonderful and a great value. Even though we visit St. Louis for medical reasons, it is nice to know that the staff cares about our stay. I am looking forward to our next stay at the Parkway Hotel this summer!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
parkway2, Front Office Manager at The Parkway Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Hello and thank you for taking the time to review the Parkway Hotel. So happy that you had gotten to enjoy all of our delicious and complimentary goodies. The managers do take pride in the wonderful customer service skills. of our staff. They honestly do enjoy taking the time to talk to our guests and making them feel like family. Our staff is like a little family and we enjoy all of the visitors that stay in our home. :O)
The Metro link is definetly the way to go to quickly get to downtown (and many other locations) to cheer on the Cards to avoid paying for high priced downtown parking .
Thank you for selecting the Parkway Hotel and we look forward to having YOUR family visit OUR family again.

Been to The Parkway Hotel? Share your experiences!