“Scrumptious!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Crossing is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 2,580 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Central Ave.
Transit: Metrolink station.
Description: Featuring local "farm to table" food using a breadth of farmer in the Missouri and Illinois communities. When asked to define of The Crossing, Owner/Executive Chef Jim Fiala often says that he is a chef that buys locally whenever possible and cooks as any French and/or Italian chef would given the ingredients sourced. Joining Jim is Chef Matt Abeshouse who brings a wealth of passion and expertise in classic French cuisine to the kitchen. Our food is fresh, organic (whenever possible), seasonal and by design very simple. The Crossing stays true to classic techniques and the chefs love showing off their skills and passion for elegant food.
Maryville, Illinois
“Scrumptious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Today (12/27/2012) was the first time I ever ate here, but it won't be the last. First thing I want to mention is they have complimentary valet parking which I love since I am not a street parking kind of person. That kind of touch shows me they care about their customers. When you walk in the place has a cozy intimate feeling that makes me relax and ready to enjoy a nice meal. They have a variety of choices that almost makes it hard to choose what you want....something you don't normally get or something in your comfort zone. They have a few tasting menus which is nice if you want to try a variety of items....and the price is pretty good for an upscale restaurant like this. I am a pretty picky eater and can easily be turned off by a lot of things so I decided to go for the more comfort zone. I chose the arugula salad with figs, bacon vinaigrette, and potato crisp. Then I got the Amish Chicken with white polenta, watermelon radish and artichoke with a tasty mushroom sauce for my entree. The salad was had a peppery taste to it with notes of the bacon and then sweetness from the figs. It was well balanced. The Amish Chicken was so good I was dancing in my seat. The chicken was cooked perfect...I don't think I have ever had chicken that tasted so good with the beautiful mushroom sauce. I don't even normally like mushrooms but these were the first mushrooms I actually liked. The polenta was creamy and delicious. I was so amazed that I liked everything on my plate....that doesn't happen often. My husband got the premium tasting menu and also got the arugula salad. He also choose the foie gras, yellowfin tuna, and a raspberry cheesecake. He enjoyed his meal and was very happy with his choices. I also got the Zeppoles with a ganache for dessert that were heavenly. Our waiter (Douglas?) was great. The valet was not there yet when we got there so he took care of us from the very beginning of us getting out of the car and to getting the valet to get our car before we had to ask for it. This is definitely one of the BEST dining outs I have ever had. I want to Thank the Chef for a wonderful meal and to our waiter and staff for the great service they gave us. I just hope this gets to them!

• Visited December 2012

St. Louis
“No bargain, but high quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

This is an excellent restaurant with smallish portions, rather high prices, and a pleasant atmosphere.

• Visited December 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“The Very Best St. Louis Has to Offer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have lived in the St. Louis area for 20 years, visited almost every fine dining establishment in and around our city, and it's my considered opinion that The Crossing is, simply put, the very best St. Louis has to offer. You'll be blown away before you even order your food by the blue cheese souffle with crostini provided gratis as an amuse bouche. Gosh, it's terrific. Honestly, you can't go wrong with anything on the menu ... which is why we always opt for one of ther multi-course tasting menu that allows you a terrific opportunity to explore several options on the menu in a multi-course meal that leaves you satisfied, not stuffed, at a cost that's very affordable by fine dining standards. As to the service, it's pretty apparent that a prerequesite to being part of the wait staff at The Crossing is that you need to be a foodie who really knows your chops, and it's readily apparent that the staff are really proud of and enthusiastic about the food that comes out of the kitchen -- and well they should be! It's also a well-designed space ... small, but in a way that manages to feel intimate rather than crowded. C'est magnifique!

• Visited November 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“A Wonderful find in Clayton, MO for both pleasure and business dinners!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

What a find in Clayton with this restaurant! The price fix premium course menu along with wine pairings is among the best I have experienced in the US for price and quality! The restaurant is wonderful for dinning with business colleagues along with hosting a table which I have done three times now. The service is helpful and friendly and always alert in making the expereince one to truly remember! By far one of the top restaurant's in the St. Louis, MO area and a must try if you in the area looking for a memorable meal that will warm you up inside and out! Tip: Make reservations as it does get busy here ! I use open table.

• Visited July 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
“A Hidden Gem In Clayton!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary, we decided on The Crossing in Clayton. We have dined there a number of times and have never been disapointed.

Head Chef and owner, Jimmy Fila, was there to welcome guests. A very nice touch. The food is simply wonderful. The service was professional and friendly. Zach, our waiter, was extremely knowledgable in regards to pairing the wine with the eclectic menu choices.

My wife and I had the four-course tasting and each plate was cooked to perfection and served in a timely manner. The anchovie salad was to die for as were the sea scallops. Our main course was the yellowfin tuna which quite simply melts in your mouth. We finished off the evening with a delicious chocolate torte.

The restaurant is very small (a hidden gem) but tables are well spaced for privacy.

We just returned home from Sonoma where we enjoyed fabluous wine and food for a week. I would absolutely put The Crossing on an even playing field with any of the restaurants in wine country.

Simply Wonderful!