“What a jewel in the city” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 2,549 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: American, Dessert, Ice Cream, Hot Dogs
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Dessert
“What a jewel in the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

If you love bacon, than the BLT is for you...... One of the oldest businesses in St Louis. They make their own ice cream and candies.
!to order. One sandwich is more than two people can eat.

Gainesville, Florida
“Worth the wait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stood in line for about half an hour on a hot July day with a 6 year-old...it was worth the wait.

The sandwiches were very large (my wife and I could have split one) and good but the best part was the milkshakes.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Back in time...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

This is an old original soda fountain looking restaurant.. EXCELLENT food, even better ice cream and candy made on site..
Only drawback: poor unsafe part of town..
Well worth the experience during the day..

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Paducah, Kentucky
“Don't believe the hype, terrible service. Fame has went to their heads.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Very disappointing 45 min wait...$46 for a blt, grilled cheese, and a turkey sandwich and 3 regular sundaes. Food was ok but the service was so snotty. I guess the fame of being on Man vs Food has went to their head.

When we sat down, a lady with a large mole on her face gave us a nasty look as we didn't want to sit right next to the door where people were literally standing right over us. I mean heck we were only like 10 back in the line and it still took 45 min to get a table. After that two tables opened up at the same time and I wasn't about to take the table where people are looking over your shoulder no more than 2 feet from your shoulder. After her sneer, she said she would be right back and never came back. No biggie due to her attitude but then another waitress came by and we told her it was our first time there. Obviously she had heard that before as she said ok and walked away lol. I get busy but this is getting ridiculous. She returned after 5 minutes to take our order. At that time amazingly there was NO line at all. Jeez...I chuckled and told her if we had just came 45 min later we would have no wait. She gives me a look and says "well you can always come back later". Walks away again! Still didn't take our order. I had two starving kids ready to eat. Another 5 minutes passed and she returns. I said "maybe you misunderstood me, but I meant if we had came 45 minlater we could have walked right in." She shot me an incredulous look again and said "well it's picking up again now". Ok good enough I give up, let's order and get the hell out of here. Even my kids were saying let's just go somewhere else. A kid in a candy store wanting to leave should tell you everything.

We finally ordered and yes the BLT was huge. So large you couldn not eat it without eating the bacon separately. The size of the sandwich was simply for impact but it does it's job. My son had a grilled cheese. $5 for a small grilled cheese, $9 for a turkey with bacon and $9 for my big BLT. We had to get ice cream as that was what they were known for. $5 each for a two scoop sundae. Whew at least they didn't charge for whipped cream. WAIT THEY DID! 79 cents each for freakin whipped cream??? Come on now that's just ripping you off. No extra toppings were ordered just replied "yes" when she asked if we wanted whipped cream. Well of course...a sundae comes with whipped cream (or at least every single one in history has until Crown Candy). Tally that bill and we get $46 (we had one soda btw). $46 for three fairly normal sandwiches and three sundaes. You get the crappy attitude for free though so win-win there I guess.

Bottom line...glad I went to say I've been but never again. Coldstone is ten times better and they atually seem happy you are there. The current owners should be ashamed.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Must go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

This place lives up to the hype. The BLT is delicious and not to be missed. The ice cream sundae our family shared was absolutely decadent and yummy. Great atmosphere, great service and fun food.