“Fried Food Heaven” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hodak's

Hodak's
2100 Gravois Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63104-2846 (Benton Park)
(314) 776-7292
Neighborhood: Benton Park
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Fried Food Heaven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Good food at a reasonable price. Not for the health conscience as everything is fried. But, you can't beat a half chicken, fries, and slaw for $8.95. Don't look for a glamorous atmosphere or pretty people, just good home style food. It is a bar, after all. No problem bring kids or worrying about being assaulted----not only because the STL police seem to be regular customers. Let's say a neighborhood bar when the neighborhood is the whole city.

• Visited June 2013

Missouri, United States
“Tasty fried chicken”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Hodak's was recommended by some good foodie friends, so we went while in town. There was a long line, but it moved fairly quickly. A man in line behind us was a classically trained chef, but says he doesn't even try to make fried chicken at home. He'd rather go to Hodak's. I ordered the half fried chicken and my husband had the 5 wing plate. Portions were very generous. The mashed potatoes and gravy were very good, as was the cole slaw. The chicken was excellent, although I'm not sure it's the best ever. It's more of a cornmeal coating, and I'm used to a flour coating. But it was crisp on the outside and juicy on the inside. The service was good and we didn't have to wait long at all for our food.

• Visited June 2013
st louis mo
“It wasn't what they said it would be”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

EVERYBODY told me that if I wanted GOOD fried chicken, I needed to eat at Hodaks. Soooo, I took my daughters and their friends because we wanted fried chicken. NOT such a great idea. We were all very disappointed. I'd almost go so far as to say that KFC might be a little better??? Definitely tastier. I like KFC's slaw and mashed potatoes better too, although I'm not even a fan of KFC's. It's just a good point of reference.

The value is good but the dining is noisy and crowded. It appears that my girls and I may be the only ones who don't like Hodaks but we don't. I really wish I could have said differently. I come from a line of very good cooks so maybe I'm just a whole lot more picky than anyone else. I definitely wouldn't tell my out of town friends to go here for fried chicken though.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
St Louis, MO
“Fried chicken”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

City folks claim this is the best fried chicken. My granny fried chicken every Sunday so I'm an expert .....
It's good moist chicken with generous portions at a good price. Sides are predictable straight from the can/bag. They do not accept reservations so the wait is an hour or more and in less than perfect weather, everyone makes a line through the restaurant and weaves by the tables while you are trying to eat. You may have a chicken leg in one hand and someone's rear end in the other.

• Visited April 2013
Lake Lotawana, Missouri
“Best chicken in the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Love this restaurant...it's a must everytime we visit St. Lou. the staff is friendly...the chicken dinner is amazing and the value is terrific....

Visited April 2013