“The Italian sandwich shop you dream about” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #528 of 2,361 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Saint Louis, Missouri
“The Italian sandwich shop you dream about”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Joe Fassi reminds me of the sub shops of my youth around Boston. The smell of "sauce" or "gravy" (depending upon which part of Italy one comes from) is like the perfume the minute one walks through the door. The present owner is the grandson of the original owner. He is a very smart business man. The first time, my friend and I went to Joe Fassi's was because I bought a groupon. I have been going to the The Hill for years but there are so many places to try that I have not covered them all. The groupon gave me the impetus to try his shop. Boy, was I glad. I am an salsicca fan so I had to try the sausage sandwich. It was great. They make their own sausage and of course, meatballs. I told the owner how much I appreciate his groupon because it gives me the opportunity to learn new places. Since then every time I go through the door, I say, "I'm back! Without a coupon!" Good food. Lovely people. Great to be part of a small, local business. He also has WiFi on site. Smart man. By the way, the place is clean as a whistle.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Saint Louis
“Excellent House Salad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Weekday during lunch stopped in to order a 1/2 house salad/half turkey artichoke sandwich. The house salad is probably one of the best little salads I have ever tasted. It was so fresh and in typical St Louis Italian salad fashion, it had the dressing mixed in with cheese, pimentos and Olives - 2 kinds and romain lettuce.
The sandwich was so-so. The turkey meat was okay and my MIL also mentioned it wasn't the best either. However, I would definately go back and try another sandwich. Places like this aren't in business for over 50 years for no reason. I'll be back.

• Visited August 2011