“A great place to visit for the atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #129 of 2,590 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: A New Mexico themed diner. Interestingly, it is on Southwest Avenue. Their slogan is something like, A taste of the Southwest on Southwest.
Dayton, Ohio
“A great place to visit for the atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We ate breakfast here with a group in town for a wedding based on a recommendation from a local. The atmosphere here was really cool. The mirror showcased a neat painted mural. Our table, I am told used to be used for Thanksgiving dinners. The music was very indie- it sounded like they had loaded up my iPod over the speakers. I'm not used to hearing Pinback playing while dining out! If I'm being totally honest though- the food was just okay. Maybe it's because I'm really not that into mixing a southwest flair with my breakfast, but I figured when in Rome... At least I can now say that I have tried chorizo and jack cheese in an omelette, but cannot see myself ordering that again. Additionally, the breakfast potatoes seemed a little over-cooked- not really my style. Overall, a great place though and I'm glad we paid a visit.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Southwest Diner/Good Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just wanted to add my input regarding this great little diner in St Louis, MO. My husband and I had breakfast here a couple of weeks ago, and I was very happy. The service is great, very friendly staff and will most definitely be back. I think it might be my favorite spot right now for breakfast, try it you will enjoy!!!

• Visited May 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Funky homey diner with southwestern dishes from scratch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This homey little diner has a funky southwestern flair with sauces cooked down from green and red chilies. Traditional diner food is the staple here, but gourmet touches abound in the made from scratch specialties. Open for breakfast and lunch seven days a week. The staff is friendly and willing to please.

• Visited February 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“The Southwest right here in Missouri”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is one of my very favorite breakfast spots in St. Louis. I have traveled to New Mexico a number of times over the years, and when you leave there, you find yourself occasionally craving those unique Southwestern flavors. Now we need look no further because the Southwest Diner faithfully recreates a lot of those classics for us right here at home. They offer a great combination of breakfast and lunch dishes that include southwestern favorites like huevos rancheros, and local favorites like the slinger, all with the option to add chiles: red, green, or Christmas.

They have good specials, some listed on a menu insert and others that your waiter will just casually mention when you order - we've got brandy-soaked strawberries today, would you like to add those to your pancakes? They serve Kaldi's coffee, which is the local shop, and very, very good. They also recently got a liquor license, so now bloody mary's and local beers are available as well.

The staff here are extremely friendly and the service is always quick, even when they're busy. On a busy weekend morning, you will sometimes have to wait, but it's never been so long a wait that we've elected to go elsewhere. Whether you're missing your trip to Santa Fe, or hungover from Mardi Gras, this spot is a hidden gem and truly worth a visit.

• Visited February 2013
“Green chile cheeseburger”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

After moving back toSt. Louis from my brief stay in Santa Fe, I have raved a green chile cheeseburger. Southwest Diner has a green chile cheeseburger as good as any I had in SFe. Also.....the sopapilas as good. Going to go back many more times.