“Lovely neighbourhood with some negatives as well.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Huckleberry Finn Youth Hostel

Huckleberry Finn Youth Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Louis
Huckleberry Finn Youth Hostel
You added Huckleberry Finn Youth Hostel to your Saves list
1904-08 South 12th Street, Saint Louis, MO 63104 (Soulard)   |
Chalfont Saint Peter, United Kingdom
“Lovely neighbourhood with some negatives as well.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I recently stayed at this hostel and it was in a really lovely neighbourhood but just a few things made it not as good as I'd hoped, the lights went out on the first day and weren't fixed until we were leaving so we had to shower in the dark, on the first morning a man walked through our dorm to shut a door and the owner just let himself in on the second day without knocking which I found a bit much, however it was clean and had big lockers for all your stuff and a little kitchen and nice common area with maps and a guitar and a piano but I probably wouldn't recommend it and we were happy to leave.

• Stayed September 2013

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Found this hostel by chance online. Its not the fanciest hostel but its cheap, near some cool bars and met some interesting people here. You do need to be a bit organized to find the place.
Its walking distance to the brewery. Check the bus timetable to get downtown.

• Stayed August 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Unlike what I expected from all the negative comments; the stay there was actually nice. People were friendly and even though I arrived outside the 6-10 pm 'office hours', I got helped out. The neighbourhood is very nice, there are stores in the proximity (there is also a farmer's market nearby which is pretty nice), some cosy bars.

It is most definitively the biggest "bang for your buck" that you can get around St. Louis. The normal price is about 25$. People that have travelled there on foot or by bike could also get a discount.
And in case you were wondering: I checked almost all motels around; they are all in the price range of 37 to 60 $. There is also a 30 $ motel in east St. Louis (the "comfort inn"), but I would definitively not recommend it (it's the kind of motel where they offer a prostitute to go allong with the room and it is probably the worst neighbourhood around St. Louis).

And Yes, the building is old (but it's functional and not too dirty). Yes, there are some cats around (but as far as I could notice, there weren't any real smells). Yes, you could end up with anoying people, but that is part of learning how to deal with people. It's a risk you always take when using youth hostels I guess?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I didn't object to the vague blanket situation or the close quarters. I didn't object to my bunk mate carrying on phone conversations at random hours throughout the night and I didn't even object to the towel they provided me suddenly going missing. These are the gambles of hosteling and I think it's illogical and churlish when people complain about the lack of amenities.

What I object to is the manager tossing my refund for the next two nights on my mattress, saying "Sorry it wasn't good enough for you" with a bitterness normally expressed by a jilted lover. It's the sort of guilt-driven tactic that would work well in a dysfunctional family, but is ill-suited to free enterprise. Exercising my economical prerogative was, apparently, a personal matter for him.

If you only have between 25 and 50 dollars to spend a night, then this is your place. Keep track of your towel, make sure you ask for a blanket and be confrontational enough to ask your roommate to step outside for 5:00 AM phone calls. The hostel is in one of the most beautiful neighborhoods I have ever seen and there are some great watering holes nearby. Normally, that is more than enough to make up for sleepless nights and towel-less mornings. And it did serve me well for two nights. Now I've got two more with some privacy and a T.V. I'm just sorry that simple decision was enough to turn the once happily baked caretaker into Mr. Spiteful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Me and my friend were looking for hostels in St Louis. This was the only one we could find. To begin with, their website doesn't allow you to book online. We had to get in touch with the proprietor, who assured us he would have beds available for four days. On arriving at the hostel, we found it to be pretty rundown and with no clear indication of where we were supposed to check in. There were signs, but they were small and poorly placed. To get to the office we had to pass down a narrow alley, strewn with rubbish (including a soiled mattress). The furthest we got was the office door. There were plenty of signs there; 'keys to be left under the door on check-in' should give you a flavour of the professionalism on display. We tried the door but it was locked, and no-one came after knocking repeatedly. This in spite of the fact that another sign claimed that office hours were 6pm to 10pm- we were there at 7.30. About the only helpful info on the door was directions to a pay-phone- my friend had to walk to a nearby garage to call the office, and on calling got no reply. I suspect we're not the first people to have this happen to us. I'm going into details here because if you've had a long, stressful journey, everything you will encounter here is exactly the opposite of what you'd be looking for in a hostel. With absolutely no other means of getting in touch with the clearly absent staff, we had to book a hotel- not ideal cost-wise, but at least there's a degree of competence there. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I can't comment on the interior, but if it's anything like the exterior it doesn't bear thinking about. I cannot stress this enough- hostels cannot operate like this anymore. It's an absolute disgrace. If you want to get your time in St Louis off to a good start, avoid this place at all costs. 1 out of 5 is too good for it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Reno, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I'm pretty tolerant & have always been happy with my hostel stays, but this place was filthy. Smelled strongly of cat urine, dirty walls, sinks, carpet, pillows & mattresses are disgusting (though we were given clean bedding). We were going to stay several days but left after one, because we just couldn't stand it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

This hostel is nowhere near like some of the hostels I have stayed in, in terms of modern facilities etc but I still enjoyed my time. It does have the basic facilities to get you through the week.

The people who were staying there at the time were very nice and the guy next door, Walter is an incredibly nice and helpful person. It's also in a great location, close to bars and restaurants and a nice little super market. The lack of Wi Fi might be a put off for people looking to use it in the rooms.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Huckleberry Finn Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!