“Favorite tex mex in the area” 5 of 5 stars

3761 Laclede Avenua, Saint Louis, MO
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Diablitos Cantina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #432 of 2,546 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
St louis
“Favorite tex mex in the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

It's not Austin, Texas but it's the best we got within a few hundred miles. Worth paying for the salsa bar.

Visited September 2013

“Great food great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Salsa bar is amazing. Flavorful fresh Mexican at great price!! House infused tequila drinks are great.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Enjoyable night out!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Enjoyed a relaxing evening with friends last night at Diablitos Cantina. Food was very good and loved the salsa bar with many choices of hot to mild salsa. The chips were my fav as they were thin and crispy. Very cool atmosphere. Worth the trip from Illinois.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
St. Louis, MO
“Give DC A Try!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Went here in November 2012 for my birthday with family members. I picked it because 1) I love Mexican, 2) it looked cool, 3) it was someplace new and different, and 4) there was a good Groupon. I bought the Groupon without doing much research - and then got really nervous after reading the reviews on this site as well as a few others.

I will start off with agreeing with other reviewers that this place's atmosphere is super cool (see pictures). It is very pretty to look at and both of the outside spaces are just as coolly decorated. I will say it kind of makes you forget you are in St. Louis. Honestly - visually is the coolest Mexican place I have been to in St. Louis. I don't know how to describe what style it is or what makes it so special - it just is!

Now to the food and drink... I will say I am glad I had my Groupon because otherwise 1 pitcher of Margaritas and two entrees was like $60 - which for Mexican is expensive. But with my Groupon it was only $25 and that was well worth the cost. The house margaritas were delicious and the food was very very tasty! I highly recommend the nachos (nacho libre) and the pork tacos (pastor) - both were awesome! And yes you had to pay for chips and salsa - but come on it was only $2 a person and you had lots of salsa choices! I would not want to pay for chips and salsa every time I went out, but trying the salsa bar on my first time here was cool.

Service was very good - granted we were one of only two tables in the place. Which kind of makes me wonder if this place will stick around... But I hope it does - and I would be back more often if it was closer to home. If you are in the area (say for a show at the Fox Theatre or Powell Symphony Hall or for whatever reason), I totally recommend giving this place a try if you love Mexican food and are looking for something new!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“A blend of art and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Step in to this restaurant and you are transported to Mexico.Tasteful Pre colonial and colonial art decorates the place, a feast for the eye!!! But enough said about the decor. Food is definitely fabulous. Chip and salsa is not free, but it is worth paying for it. 12 varieties of salsa, all from fresh ingredients are available at the salsa bar. I can recommend the sweet corn tamales and the steak fajitas. This must be a favorite among the St Louis University students because of the proximity, but ample parking is available.

• Visited February 2013