“Great location, inferior rooms” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel St. Louis Downtown

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel St. Louis Downtown to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel St. Louis Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   200 North Fourth Street, Saint Louis, MO 63102 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #82 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Fishkill, New York
“Great location, inferior rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

The Crown is ideally located for Busch Stadium and the Gateway Arch. The lobby and lounge are very nice but the room was rather below average. The main complaint is the carpeting looked old and the bathroom was small and dingy. I paid $120 thru hotels.com for a room with a king bed. The value was there for the room but the hotel did not offer a breakfast or free parking. We ate at the hotel grill and found it to be average at best. The escalator to the grill was out of service which was enough to turn away business.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sam V, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel St. Louis Downtown, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experiences at our property. I am sorry to hear that you found our hotel to be only average as we strive to make each guest love our hotel. I sincerely hope you consider staying with us in the future to see the many improvements to our property in the upcoming year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Dexter, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Have stayed here previously. Received a great rate, so decided to try again. Front desk personel were much friendlier at check in. Found out Front Desk Manager has chg'd. Room was spacious, but bathroom was extremely small. No place for toiletries. Had balcony, which was very nice to view the Arch and downtown area. Club Lounge is great if you are a honors member. Super friendly host.

Room Tip: Always ask for a corner room, much larger. Higher floors, better view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
The entire team was thrilled to hear you enjoyed your recent stay. The views from the hotel are indeed breath taking.
We look forward to seeing you on your return trip.
Ozark, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed here while we were in town for the Cards playoff game. Overall, it was a fine experience. We arrived prior to the game, which started at noon. The front desk staff was friendly & courteous. Even though there wasn't a room ready, we were able to park in the garage & walk to the game. It was so nice to not mess with parking closer to the stadium! Parking at the hotel was fine, but confusing. The lack of a valet & signs to tell you where to go caused some frustration for my husband when he first tried to park the car. We had planned to use the valet, but since no one was available we just self parked. Our room was HUGE and clean. There were windows all across one wall, floor to ceiling, which provided a lovely view of the Arch. My biggest complaint was the bathroom. It was tiny. The tiles around the tub had some mold. The vanity was small, as well. At times while I was sleeping, I was woken up by people in the hallway making noise. Overall, the whole place was dated. I think it could be a lot nicer with some renovations!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
The team was thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your room accommodations and the service they provided you with during your recent stay. We have also discussed your concerns regarding our guest parking procedure and plan to make some immediate changes.
Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.
Reading, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed here as part of a road trip in the US. The room was clean and very big - including the enormous King Size Bed. Considering the location, I feel it presented excellent value for money.

It is next to the Cardinals stadium and within waling distance to the football. My partner was very disappointed we had missed the Cardinals by the time we got there as they played at lunch time - so if you have a sports fan with you, check to see who's playing!

It was also near the Gateway arch and the river, and with good links to other areas of the City.

However, if you are there for shopping there is not much near by - mainly as the main Washington Street area is being renovated. This is not clear in any of the literature that is available. Once this is finished then this hotel really will offer something for all the family to enjoy!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time during your trip to comment on your experiences with our property and team. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel's location and your accommodations.
We look forward to seeing you on your next trip.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I am not a nit-picky hotel dweller but I also do not have low expectations either. So here is a fair, level headed review. The hotel has a dated feel but they have kept up with the times with things like flat screen tv's and fresh bedding (no old, musty coverlets on the beds). The decorating was average and unoffensive; maybe a bit on the bland side. The rooms were massive and spacious with large windows (I had a king suite, my sister's family had a standard two queen room) but the bathrooms were small. Being a city dweller, that was not foreign to me and didn't incite shock the way it seems to in some others. Exceptional bathroom products were offered! The entire hotel had a fresh, clean smell and feeling. Staff was everywhere and everyone I encountered was friendly, chatty and helpful. I didn't experience an unacceptable wait for the elevators and it was even a crowded weekend because of the Cubs/Cardinals games. I had a balcony off my living room which offered amazing views of the arch, courthouse and general cityscape.

I think Management could make a huge impact if they just paid better attention to some of the little details. For instance, the doors were all horribly scuffed, the ac/heating units in my room had fronts that were loose, crooked and barely hanging on, and the door to the adjoining room and to the balcony barely locked (it took two of us to finally get the balcony to latch and even then, both could have been opened with one good push).

The hotel has a wonderful location, I was comfortable and the pros outweighed the cons. I would definitely stay again and would encourage others to do so as well!

Room Tip: I read that the hotel was once an apartment building. The king suite is a totally unaltered one bed...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Sam V, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel St. Louis Downtown, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experiences with our property and team. I am sure that our staff enjoyed having you stay with us just as much as you enjoyed their company.
We appreciate your honest comments about our property. We continue to upgrade our product throughout each year and hope you return to see what we change.
Bloomington, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed that the Crowne Plaza for a business trip on a Monday. My room on the 6th floor was spacious and had two queen beds. The bathroom was small and lacked space for my toiletries. The room appeared clean, and the bed was comfortable. Noise levels were acceptable. The desk in the room was a bonus -- it was nice to be able to set up my laptop and have a place to sit and work.

The front desk was pleasant, and the bar area to the right of reception was staffed with pleasant people. The cocktail I had after checking in -- a vodka tonic, was $8.75. My companion's martini was $10.00. Directions to where we made dinner reservations were incorrect. We ended up taking a cab -- thank goodness, as we would have walked in the wrong direction.

I wish that I could have had a fan or a blower on the A/C. The room was silent, and there was no way to control how cool it was in the room. Luckily the temp was comfortable, but I would have liked it a bit colder.

The next morning I had breakfast at the buffet, which was $15.75. The fresh fruit was delicious, the eggs and bacon acceptable. Unfortunately, a request for a glass of water took over 10 minutes. However, the staff was polite and smiled a lot. The requested toast took only 5-7 minutes to appear at my table, as it was not available at the buffet.

Check out was easy. Would I stay there again? Yes I would. It doesn't have the gloss and shine of a new place, but it does have it's charm. The rooms are a good size and the free wi-fi, which I think should be standard at hotels these days, was welcome.

Room Tip: Ask for an Arch view -- worth it and if they can accomodate, they will. And the higher you go, the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sam V, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel St. Louis Downtown, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences. It is nice to hear you enjoyed the team and the services the hotel has to offer.
We look forward to your return visit.
Pewaukee, WIsconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

My wife and I were in town to visit our daughter who attends a local college. Price was reasonable and the room, although small, was clean and satisfactory. The bathroom was REALLY small with little counter top space. The hotel is somewhat older but in OK condition. We were in a room on the 23rd floor which had a view of Busch Stadium (pretty cool) and also of the Arch. A downside was that our room was a room that connected to rooms on both sides. However, the connecting doors were very thin and noise travelled right thru them. We had some noisy nights as our next door neighbors stayed out until bar time.

They have valet parking which we utilized and a lobby bar which was hopping due to the ballgames that were going on that weekend.

The best part of this hotel is it's location. You can walk to many areas in downtown St. Louis including the stadium and Laclede's Landing which is a popular night time destination.

I would definitely stay in this hotel is I was going to an event nearby. I would definitely not stay in this hotel for a quiet or romantic occasion. Check to see if a baseball is scheduled for your time in town!!

Room Tip: Ask for a high room that faces Busch Stadium or the Arch. Ask for a room that is non-connecting.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with us while visiting your daughter. Our location, as you know, is centrally located to so many wonderful St Louis attractions. It is nice to hear that you were able to visit with family and enjoy some of the sites.
We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel St. Louis Downtown? Share your experiences!