“A Home away from Home” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Olathe, Kansas
“A Home away from Home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

So I was a loyal fan of the Hyatt St. Louis Downtown until now as I was very pleased with my stay at this property. One of the greatest things about this hotel is the size of the rooms and the height of the ceiling. You definitely won't feel claustrophobic in this hotel. It has stunning decor and the ambiance and feel of the rooms are great. No way could you ever imagine that this was a department store. Decorations were tastefully made and all lines are clean and sharp. The shower is great. Very relaxing and the water pressure awesome. The location is great for what I do in St. Louis and I don't mind the cost to valet park. Its way cheaper than most cities that I visit. You should definitely consider this hotel if you are in the area traveling for business and most especially with children.

Room Tip: City Views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is by far the very best Embassy Suites or for that matter Hilton Hotel we have ever stayed at. From calling the hotel with a question about checking in early and having Christina help me to dealing with Brandon at check in to Curtis when we ask for late check out. The service was spectacular from each of them and the entire staff at this hotel. My wife was hosting a meeting with a few people and we have reserved the conference room suite so they would have working space. Great idea if you need a room for that type of thing, check it out. We arrived at noon and ask to check in early, I had called the day before also about this, and was told they would do all they could to make that happen. We were told the people had just check out and housekeeping was cleaning the room for us and we were in the room in about 3o minutes.WOW that was super for the group that needed to get to work. When we checked in it was pouring down rain and I have a mobility scooter because of bad knees. The valet and Bell person helped me get it out and on the sidewalk and in the hotel in a flash. Now this was at noon when the world was checking out of the hotel after a basketball game and they not once made me feel I was a bother when I knew I really was at this hour.
On Tuesday the group was not finished working and we ask for late checkout to 3pm which is extra late and Christina said no trouble in fact we had that for all the rooms we had for each person. Unreal WOW WOW WOW. I was just denied a short late checkout a couple of weeks ago at another Embassy. So this was GREAT.
Now let me tell you this Hotel is beautiful, old charming, but very modern and up to date. Huge rooms cleaned to perfection. When you walk in every drawer is slightly open the couch kind of opened to show you everything had been cleaned. I've never had that, it made you feel they went the extra mile to make you feel good. I can't say enough about how beautiful the rooms were. We learned the history of the building from the front desk and it's so cool.
We come to a lot of baseball games in St Louis and stay at the Hilton Ballpark and it,s nice but never again. This Embassy has my business as long as I can get a room. Sure it's a few blocks away from the game but It's the best. Plus you are in the heart of fantastic food places from fancy to deli it is the place to stay in downtown St Louis. Try it Please you will be back again!

Room Tip: We had an end room on the second floor huge windows on two sides and at least 11 to 12 ft ceilings.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Just stayed here last week with wife and daughter, visiting son who works for Edw Jones in St Louis. Its a great hotel (refit from department store) so rooms are large and ceilings high. Great breakfast as always, reception is salty snack stuff so not appealing (miss my concierge level since my member level has fallen due to corp travel restrictions). Anyway, all around friendly folks here (valet, desk, bell, restaurant), was staying for four days but had to leave a day early to drive east before snow. Convenient location, have to pay for parking but hey, it's a city, in NY they charge you $50 a day! Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Like all cities if you get a street facing room you will get the trash collection / EMS when it happ...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dixon, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed here because it was walking distance to the convention center, but will choose somewhere else next time. The hotel sits right on the street with only a few parking places in front. You are only allowed to leave your car for a few minutes while you check in. Self parking is not available, so we paid $27 for valet parking. Again, if we had stayed farther away from the convention center, we could have parked with them for $4. Our room was on the 3rd floor, and I think it was the farthest room away from everything. It was like walking through a maze to get there. Not sure if the person who checked us in was trying to be funny or what. They hotel was not busy. The halls were empty. Yes, normally we would like to have a little separation from neighbors, but not to this extent. We ate breakfast the next morning. It didn't seem as good as what I have had in the past with Embassy Suites. There was only one person making omelets, but the wait time was short. The room was quiet and clean. The bed and sofa bed were comfortable. I asked for a later check-out time, which was granted. Upon returning to the hotel to check out, and treading our way through this maze to get to our room, our keys didn't work. So, we treaded back down to the lobby and was told that the keys automatically stop working at noon. Note to front desk: when you allow a late check-out, tell the guest that they will need to get their keys reset if they try to enter their room after 12:00.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Wade T, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites St. Louis - Downtown, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear akerydeb,

Thank you for choosing the Embassy Suites St. Louis - Downtown during your recent visit to St. Louis and for providing the review on your experience. We are sorry we did not live up to your expectations. The satisfaction of our guests is our number one priority and your feedback will allow us to improve the experience for future guests.

We appreciate your feedback on parking and I wanted to make sure you were aware that, in addition to our valet parking service, there is a self-parking option that is available to our guests in the Convention Center Garage directly across the street from the hotel. This option allows overnight self-parking paid directly to the garage attendants at a price of just $16.00 per night but this service does not allow for in/out privileges.

We sincerely apologize that we did not alert you of the key expiration when we agreed to your late check-out. We have shared this experience with our Team Members to ensure we notify our guests to have their key re-made if they will be checking out later than noon.

Again, thank you for choosing our hotel and for providing your feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back during your next visit to St. Louis.

Best regards,

Wade Thompson
Director of Sales & Marketing
Phone: 314-678-2903
Email: wade.thompson@hilton.com
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

It is very beautiful inside the hotel! I wish there were more Embassy Suites like this location. The furnishings are gorgeous and the ceilings are ridiculously high in the bedrooms. There is nothing that I would change about the room itself; however, I would not order the brownie dessert unless you really desire a cake dessert. The room service was the only thing that I was not pleased with, but I would recommend this hotel to any and everyone!! Also, the breakfast was great.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Carmi, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I loved this hotel. The rooms are so large. We were there on Mardi gras weekend, and we never heard any outside noise during our stay. The only downside is parking. My husband drives a 4 door diesel Chevy Silverado and the valet first said he would park it for me, then changed his mind and said it was too long. I had to drive around the block and park in a garage about a block away. Then had to walk back to it in the rain the next morning. However, the price was $11 cheaper by doing that. And i have yo say the water pressure did need a little help. The shower was like a drizzle. Over all, I would stay there again just because of the location!

• Stayed February 2013
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I think this location would work well if you are going to a convention. If you don't have to be downtown though, you might be better off staying somewhere else with a better parking situation. I was taking my children to visit colleges so some of the other options might have been better but I chose this one because of brand loyalty. The only parking garage that allows you to stay overnight is the closest one, but I found it to be a little scary looking and in need of repairs. Lots of crumbling concrete inside. Also, the area right there is extremely desolate unless there's an event going on.
As for the hotel itself, the brand happens to be one of my favorites but this particular location didn't quite meet my expectations. Upon arrival, check-in was quick. As I arrived at the assigned room, I noticed the peephole was missing and in its place was a hole in the door with a bit of garbage bag type plastic stuffed in it. You could see right into the room through the hole. I went back down immediately and didn't get the type of concerned response I expected. The response I received felt as though she thought I was making it up, I was pretty much offended by her tone. She offered me the room right next to it. I asked for something closer to the elevator instead and she accommodated my request. The decor was nice but the room had some cleanliness issues, there was dust/dirt build-up behind the toilet, in the corners of the bathroom, the bathroom floor needs a deep cleaning - you can see the obvious dirty discoloration in contrast to the cleaner tiles underneath the sink. The fridge had creamers from the last person in it and the coffee station had not been evenly replenished - only had 1 sugar and 3 creamers, no stir stick/straw. Used tissue beneath the dust ruffle. While none of these are big things, however, it does speak to the lack of consistency in the cleaning & maintenance.
When we went to the evening reception, we were greeted very nicely upon entry, this was probably the best & friendliest greeting we received from anyone there. The dining area is one of the nicer ones I've seen of this brand. There weren't many people at the hotel, so I didn't experience any long waits for elevators, breakfast, or any of the other things people usually complain about. I didn't use valet because of all the bad reviews I read beforehand. I didn't like the fact that I had a stroller and children with me and the valet never once opened the door, just stood there. I would've preferred a signature cocktail offered at the manager's reception or a sweeter wine like Pinot Grigio, Riesling, or Moscato but there was only Merlot, Chardonnay. & White Zinfandel or beers & hard liquor. (Of course, that's not a big deal either just a personal preference.) Breakfast was typical of the brand, the omelets are always decent.
Overall, it's fine just not overly impressive. I doubt that I would stay at this one again but if you're in Saint Louis, it's a fair option. The rooms are very spacious, wonderfully high ceilings. Again, I have to say that it is one of my favorite brands especially when traveling with children/large family.

Room Tip: Near the elevator if you can't do a long hike. The hallways are long and have a never-ending fe...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Wade T, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites St. Louis - Downtown, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear FunMomO,

Thank you for choosing the Embassy Suites St. Louis - Downtown and for taking time to review your stay at our hotel.

We appreciate your loyalty to the Embassy Suites brand but apologize that your experience in St. Louis didn't live up to your expectations. We pride ourselves in providing exemplary service and are always looking for ways in which we can improve. We have reviewed your feedback with our team to allow us to enhance the experiences of our future guests. We would also like to identify the specific suites you occupied. Please call or email me so that we can get that information.

I also wanted to address the parking options at our hotel. We know that cost is always something to consider and that our Valet Parking, although competitively priced with other hotels in St. Louis, is a bit more than utilizing the self-parking options available. However, our Valet Parking offers the value of a secure, temperature controlled facility located within our building as well as the ease of curbside service and in/out privileges.

If your travels bring you back to St. Louis, we hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you with the level of service you deserve.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Wade Thompson, Director of Sales & Marketing
Direct: 314-678-2903
Email: wade.thompson@hilton.com

Been to Embassy Suites St. Louis - Downtown? Share your experiences!