“Only if you must...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Plus St Louis-Forest Park/Hampton Avenue

You added Red Roof Inn Plus St Louis-Forest Park/Hampton Avenue to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Plus St Louis-Forest Park/Hampton Avenue
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5823 Wilson Avenue, Saint Louis, MO 63110 (The Hill)   |
Ranked #64 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Eureka Springs, Arkansas
“Only if you must...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We could not find any rooms in the area that weren't over $300/night (Blues & Cards both had home games) and nervously settled on the Red Roof Inn after reading so many mixed reviews. But knowing we would only be sleeping in the rooms and not hanging out, we made reservations.

We arrived late--11:30pm, which we had notified them ahead of time of. We were given our keys to room 107. We had to park around the corner from our room as the lot was full and dragged our things to 107. My son put the key in several times and it would light up green but we couldn't get it to open. After about 5 minutes of fiddling with it, the door opened....from the inside, and the man who had clearly been asleep asked what we wanted. I was humiliated and thought I had misunderstood so I went back and the woman at the desk told me no, 107 was correct and didn't know where the man in there came from. So next she gave us 105 next door.

My 12 year old ran ahead to open the door and when he did, the door opened with the key this time, but people were in the room!!!!!! So for the 2nd time we hurried back to the office and again, the woman at the desk didn't show anyone for room 105. In our trips back & forth past the office we noticed 103 was empty and the curtains opened so we asked for that room and were given it....

The woman behind the desk was clearly flustered and did apologize. She said she would make the manager aware of what happened and I cannot remember her wording, but it led me to believe we would hear from the manager. That didn't happen.

I am pretty understanding, I realize we are all human and errors are made but when it happens TWICE, it's a little ridiculous. My kids were worried the whole night someone would be given our key and walk into our room.

Other than that, it is clear that updates have been made to this older motel. Our room was clean and just as pictured in the photos of the double room and nice for a motel.

Room Tip: Don't stay on ground floor, cars are parked a few feet from your door and some idiots think scre...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
i0135, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Plus St Louis-Forest Park/Hampton Avenue, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Eurekan72632,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the St Louis - Forest Park Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies.

At Red Roof, we strive to provide every customer with superior service; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I want you to know that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem that occurred during your stay to prevent any future occurrence. The staff is aware that if an incident like that ever occurs, it is their responsibility to the 2nd room is the perfect room.

Chevon Barnes

Red Roof Inn - St Louis - Forest Par

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We booked our recent stay through Hotels.com, as we're Australian. So we really did made the booking upon previous guests experiences on TripAdviser.

On our 2nd last night at the hotel, we arrived back to our room from the outings and found that the room was LEFT OPENED and our beds weren't made. I could overlook the housekeeping duties, but left our room unsecured is NOT acceptable, as anyone could have just wondered in and help themselves to our possessions.

I notified staff on duty straightaway of the incident, he was apologetic, but could not do much else, as housekeeping staff had gone for the day.

I then asked that the room should be serviced after we leave, as we would not want the same thing to happen again.

We could have lost all our possessions in a foreign country and be stranded. It could and would have been an extremely terrible experience.

We checked in and was hoping to check out trouble free, the tariffs was prepaid in full and well in advance through Hotels.com.

Beware, stay at your own risk.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel if you could help it.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear C D,

At Red Roof, we strive to provide every customer with superior service; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I want you to know that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem that occurred during your stay to prevent any future occurrence. The staff has been retrained to ensure the security of our guests and their possessions are at their highest!!

Chevon Barnes

Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I spent a couple nights here in early April on a visit to St Louis for my annual Fantasy Baseball draft. As I was traveling solo on this trip, I booked the most basic room available.

As noted, the rooms have undergone renovation and have a nice modern feel to them. The room was very clean, and everything (except the WiFi, see below) was in good working order. Understanding that I booked the most basic room at the lowest price, the room was satisfactory.

Having said that, this was the smallest hotel room I've ever experienced in the U.S. Slightly claustrophobic. And although I wasn't traveling on business, I needed to use my laptop. Business travelers should know that the tiny desk area is just about deep enough for a laptop, with not much room on either side for any papers. No secondary chair or table beside the bed like you would find in most rooms. I hadn't stayed at a Red Roof in a long, long time, so this is probably their standard basic room. My only real complaint though was that the WiFi was incredibly slow (think dial-up speed) for much of my stay. I called the front desk to inquire and was told "to be honest, we've been having problems with it all week." I would suggest you let people know that when they check in. Many people are relying on the WiFi to work as it should.

Back to the positive, the location is great, just off the highway and minutes from Forest Park and The Hill neighborhood. Staff was friendly despite not being proactively informative about the WiFi. If you're familiar with Red Roof Inn experience and are comfortable in their hotels, you'll certainly be fine staying here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
i0135, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Plus St Louis-Forest Park/Hampton Avenue, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Romo2004,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our guest survey. I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the St Louis - Forest Park Red Roof.

I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team. Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. We are aware of how slow our WIFI is and we are in the process of upgrading it.

Grande Prairie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

After a very long day of traveling, I landed in St Louis and stayed at the Red Roof Inn located not far from the downtown area. The front desk staff, Barbara was very outgoing and helpful with getting where I needed to go! My room was totally renovated with new flooring, new counters and sinks, clean and QUIET. Though the hotel did not have a pool or restaurant the area was surrounded by a lot of fast food places and gas stations. When asking the desk clerk about a good place to eat, I was advised there was a nice pub just a couple of blocks over with the best steak! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Monique M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the St Louis - Forest Park Red Roof.

I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team, as well as Barbara. Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Midwest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I booked for three nights through Expedia.com. More on Expedia.com later. There was so much that went wrong its hard to start. No service, refused to supply an ice bucket. Bathroom floors weren't clean, glass rings on the furniture, waste bucket wasn't emptied after the first night. I asked for an extra wash cloth, no deal. The morning after the second night I drop some popcorn kernels fragments on the floor. There were ants all over them. I complained at the desk and they said they would spray and take care of it. When I came back in the evening there weren't any ants but nothing had been cleaned. Waste basket was full, floor still had some popcorn fragments, etc. The bathroom mirror wasn't clean. I complained and they moved me to another room. The next morning, although I had hot water for a shower, there was no hot water from the sink for a shave. When I asked for a refund I was told since I booked through Expedia.com I would have to get it from them. The desk personal could have cared less about what was going on. An hour on the phone with Expedia.com got me one day's refund, but they said they were powerless to get anymore. Last time for Red Roof and first, last, and only time using Expedia.com.

Room Tip: Stay away.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear RexGermanorium,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the St Louis - Forest Park Red Roof. I am sorry that your room was not clean up to standard, there wasn't hot water in your sink and that the entire experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies.

Winter Haven, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

After a very long day of traveling we landed at the RRI. This was our first experience with RRI and wewill definitely consider them again. Room was very modern, clean and QUIET. They accepted our little dog with no extra fees. When asking the desk clerk for a recommended restaurant she openly admitted that because she works nights the restaurants aren't her area of expertise. Without being asked she selected a restaurant in a busy area and printed out the mapquest for us which sent us to a location of many restaurants to choose from. While there was not a pool or inhouse restaurant it was well worth the stay for the money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TPASEA,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the St Louis - Forest Park Red Roof.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Staff member Barbara was very helpful in answering questions upon our arrival. She was also very knowledgeable when asked about areas of interest in the St. Louis area. She assisted us in requesting cab service on several occassions

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear sgm416,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor Review. I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the St Louis - Forest Park Red Roof.

I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team and Barbara! Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Red Roof Inn - St Louis - Forest Park

Been to Red Roof Inn Plus St Louis-Forest Park/Hampton Avenue? Share your experiences!