“Nice place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 124 hotels in Saint Louis
Springfield, Missouri
“Nice place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I needed to bring my mother up to STL for medical reasons; I chose the Pear Tree Inn Union Station because it's a Drury Inn hotel, plus it's close to the hospital.

Our room was clean, the bathroom was clean, the beds were nice and comfortable. There was sufficient room to hang up and store our clothing. We had a small coffee pot, which we didn't use. There was no microwave in the room; it was my understanding that these days, a microwave is standard. Our refrigerator was very small, stored in a cabinet and it was a bit of a challenge to stoop down and get in and out of the refrigerator. Thankfully the water bottles I had purchased were small and not too tall for storage; however after we went out for a meal, we had to shuffle quite a few things so that our leftovers would fit. We ended up throwing out a couple of items that wouldn't fit.

My only true complaint is about the parking. There is an underground parking garage with security codes to get in and out, which is nice. However, the parking garage is NOT attached to the hotel, so I would drop my mother off at the hotel door and then go park the car. After parking and locking up the car, I would then have to hike up the sidewalk to get back to the hotel.

Maybe this wouldn't bother me in the spring or fall but in the extremely cold January weather, it was not comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

328 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed here for two nights just after Christmas, in the midst of a "snowstorm". We were excited to check-in in time for the evening snacks and drinks. We got down there with about 20 minutes to spare, and were met by a woman working the wine bar who clearly wanted nothing to do with that job. She barely spoke and had the biggest frown on her face.

The first night, we had to switch rooms because there was a rowdy bunch of children in the room next to ours and the walls were pretty paper-thin. I could easily make out what shows they were watching on TV.

So we moved down the hall. In the middle of the night, I started hearing a beeping that was only rectified when I turned on the air unit to drown it out. I later found out it was the ice machine all the way down the hall, beeping every 2 seconds for 8 hours. How that didn't wake up everyone on the floor, I'll never know.

Overall, decent place. The rooms were very clean, and breakfast was definitely nice. The evening snacks and drinks are a nice touch; they could just stand to be staffed by some friendlier people.

The location is fantastic. You can see downtown out the window, and it's only about a 4 minute drive down to the riverfront. It was a little confusing to get to, and my GPS got slightly mixed up, but once you learn the area a little, it's just fine.

Room Tip: Go at least the 4th floor. Anything else is too close to the ground and you end up with the roof ri...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
DruryHotels, General Manager at Pear Tree Inn Union Station, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
We are terribly sorry that you did not have the quiet and relaxing stay that you deserve. We always invite our guests to talk with the staff and/or Manger on Duty to rectify any issue particularly faulty equipment issues so that you may have a comfortable stay. Tip for any traveler trying to find Pear Tree Inn Union Station using GPS. The correct address is 2211 Market Street. DO NOT choose “North” Market Street or your GPS will not take you to our location. Thank you for your feedback!
Peoria, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Pear Tree is operated by Drury I expected the same quality services. Like great snacks in the evening and even hard drinks.Beer & wine and chips.Not so, when i asked an employee at the front desk they said they were the step-child of drury

Room Tip: Another property
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
DruryHotels, General Manager at Pear Tree Inn Union Station, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
We would like to thank you for trying the Pear Tree Inn Union Station. The Pear Tree Inn brand is owned by Drury Hotels but it is a different brand than Drury Inns. With the different brand, The Pear Tree offers different amenities from Drury brand hotels, but you can always count on clean, comfortable rooms, good amenities and great service all at an affordable price.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights during a recent visit to St. Louis. We had come up for a show at the Fox Theatre and found this hotel to be a very convenient location to the theatre and many other attractions. We enjoyed the complimentary evening snacks and beverages (beer, wine, and sodas). The hot breakfast buffet, also included free, was great. Each morning, there were multiple choices, from scrambled eggs and sausage patties to make-your-own waffles, as well as yogurt and fresh fruit. Even though the hotel building has been there for over 40 years, the entire facility was clean and well maintained. We especially appreciated the free, covered parking that protected the car from the weather.

We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed here for one night. The hotel and room were clean with free, secure parking. The hot breakfast in the morning was good. The location was good. We stayed here for the Gateway arch ans BB's jazz blues and soups. It was in easy reach of both. You can see the arch from the hotel although you need to drive there. There were lots of towels and good storage in the room and an iron and hairdryer . We particularly enjoyed the free drinks and popcorn in the evening.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed three days. You can't hardly beat the price. You get three complimentary drinks every night between 5:30 and 7:00 and a hot breakfast each morning. The staff (Alicia, Kevin and Teresa) are the greatest A +. The only complaint I would of had was the furniture, tv and carpeting in the room were in desperate need of replacement. We did find out that the whole hotel is going to be updated to all new carpeting, new flat screen TVs and all new beds. A major overall is going to take place. I did ask if the prices were going to go up and they told me they were going to try to keep the price around the same.

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this property while meeting with friends in St. Louis, and to see a Rams game. With the AAA discount, we paid $281.21 for three nights. Unlike most other hotels in downtown St. Louis, the parking is free in a secured garage. Unlike many hotels, there were numerous luggage carts to move luggage to our room. The young man that worked the front desk on the evening of 11/16/12 was quite helpful and very friendly. We had a room on the 9th floor and were pleased with the room (see pictures). The room had a refrigerator and a microwave (not common at Pear Tree Inns). As a comparison, we stayed at the Drury Inn across the street last year and we like this Pear Tree Inn from a value for the dollar aspect. We didn't eat any of the evening offerings, but the breakfast offering was quite nice for a Pear Tree Inn. I did find the discussion of personal problems by the breakfast staff to be undesirable. All of us have our things to deal with - but there is no need to speak about it loudly enough for the guests to hear all about it.

We experienced a few minor problems. One, there was a vibration that caused a sound in the HVAC unit. I put a shor on the unit to stop the noise each night. I reported this at the end of our stay. After our first night, the cleaning service did not clean the room the next day. This resulted in no tip left for the maid service. Finally, our room was near the elevators and near the scenic view of the Arch - this resulted in numerous early loud conversations that woke us earlier than we would have liked. I reported the hall noise by other guests on an online survey. The manager called to speak with me, but since I wasn't at home, he left a message. I appreciate the attempt to follow-up.

There is a sports bar and restaurant attached to the hotel called Syberg's. We ate a meal there and I recommend it. I'll post a separate review of Syberg's. Several bar& grills, as well as Union Station are within two blocks of the hotel.

A few hiccups, but overall, I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east end are near the elevators and near a full window view of the Arch. This results i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Pear Tree Inn Union Station? Share your experiences!