“Beautiful, but overpriced...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #65 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Baltimore, Maryland
“Beautiful, but overpriced...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

The Renaissance Grand is in a great location, close to restaurants on Washington Street, and the Edward Jones Center. Room was clean, comfortable, and a good deal at the Renaissance price point. Where this property falls down is on the amenities and services. Valet parking was $27/ night and the very average breakfast buffet was $23, so add an additional $50/night if you don't want to park yourself in a garage behind the hotel or try to find somewhere else open for an early morning breakfast. The staff was friendly and accommodating in my dealings with them. Highlight of the hotel was probably the very personable lady bartender who worked the afternoon I checked in and helped me pass the time before my room was ready.

Bottom Line: It was nice enough, but if I find myself in St. Louis again, I'll probably try one of the many other hotels in the downtown area.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Hopkinsville, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Stayed on a Saturday night and the AC was not working in the room. Asked for help on 4 occasions and never recieved any. FInally at 3 AM they moved us to another room. They were rude and unhelpful. I called to ask about a pair of shoes I left in the room and couldn't get anyone to help. I will never stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

Overall, this is a very nice hotel, however my experience at this hotel was below average. Check in was slow as they only had one person at the counter and a very large convention going on the week I was there. All went well until approximately 2 AM when I awoke to a warm and muggy room. Not thinking anything of it I attempted to go back to sleep but was unable and got up at about 4AM and noticed that the power had been off and obviously the A/C was not working and it was HOT in St Louis that day and night. I tried to call the front desk, however could not get an answer. Finally at approximately 6AM I reached the desk and they stated that they had located the problem and were working on it. Unfortunately, I had an early meeting and had to shower in the dark and was unable to iron my clothes which was needed after a long day of travel the day prior. The power was finally restored prior to my departure, however it was too late. At checkout the staff did not know the reason for the outage and did not even offer an apology. I have always been pleased with Marriott, however this was one of the worst nights I have experienced. The next day I was delayed due to weather and forced to spend another night in the St Louis area. I chose not to stay at this Marriott and stayed at a Hilton which was a much better experience.

Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

Stayed a week at the hotel on business - room was clean and quiet, although matress was too soft. Double bed is more like twin - not very big, tight squeeze for 2 people. The ceilings are very high, but decor is terrible - tub is low, you can barely reach the shower head (being 5'11"), toilet paper holder practically sits on top of the garbage can and if you are a short person, you will see your head and above in the mirror due to its positioning. Water pressure is good. The counter space in the bathroom virtually non-existant - there is a narrow shelf running above the sink. Staff was friendly, great consierge, food at the restaurant was good, but expensive. Location is great for walking everywhere. There is a Starbucks in the lobby. Parking is in a garage on a different street and cost 14.00 per day for self park. Pool is small and very warm, hot tub nearby. Overall our stay was quite pleasant.

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

I booked this hotel purely on location, next to the Old Post Office Plaza where the Downtown St. Louis Partnership put on World Cup watch festivities Friday night and Saturday. We also were participating in the Race for the Cure so we wanted to have a convenient place between events to recover.

I was concerned with the posts and service level, but I had a very good experience. Granted, I used points for the stay and have a lower level of status with Marriott. We pre-requested a crib and extra towels. Both were pre-placed in our room, and the housekeeper checked to make sure we indeed had a crib. The two ladies at registration were very nice and also informed us we had free internet and free self-parking due to my status.

The room itself was nothing special but it had everything needed be it business or leisure and a comfortable bed. I can't speak about any of the food except Starbuck's, which provided the usual service and quality.

If I were staying downtown for a convention or events in that particular area of downtown St. Louis, I wouldn't hesitate staying there again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

The Renaissance Grand Hotel is nice and I enjoyed my stay. First let me state that every hotel employee (not most; every) was professional, polite, cheerful, and efficient. The manager and staff should be commended.

The hotel is a combination of an old hotel that was renovated in 2000, and an addition, completed in 2002. So while the renovation is not new, it was tastefully performed so that the hotel is still nice and not dated. In general, the interior appointments are quite nice, and although not old in the historic sense, were chosen to reflect the historic nature of the hotel, such as the pedestal sinks in the guest room bathrooms.

The public corridors also feature attractive finishes and display historic pictures and artifacts from the hotel’s history, when it was the Hotel Statler. Other public spaces, such as public rest rooms are thoroughly modern.

Based on this being an old hotel, the guest rooms in the renovated portion of the building are on the small side, but the guest room bathrooms are large. That isn’t to say that the rooms are too small. I had plenty of room in a guest room with two double beds, a night stand, a chest of draws that houses a television, a desk and chair, and another separate chair. The beds, while not the most comfortable, were not uncomfortable; and they provide pillows of varying firmness. The sheets were clean and soft as were the towels. In fact, with a few exceptions in the public corridors and lobbies, this hotel is very clean. There was a crushed pretzel on the carpet in one of the public corridors that remained for my entire three day stay.

This hotel is large. If you have to walk from one end to the other, you had better leave yourself some time. It is also very quiet. I rarely heard anyone in the corridor or in adjacent rooms, and I never heard traffic from outdoors. Interestingly, some of the corridor lighting is turned off at night. I assume that this is an effort to reduce electricity consumption and cost. The hotel should be commended.

The hotel isn’t perfect. The shower head in my room was loose and would only point straight down. I was able to hand tighten it slightly to make it point at a slight angle, but this is an oversight that the housecleaning staff should have noticed and gotten repaired.
The hotel charges guests almost $15 per day for internet service. I don’t understand why higher end hotels charge for internet service while much cheaper hotels and motels offer internet service for free. Furthermore, the daily cost is the highest that I have ever paid for internet service.

I arrived on a Sunday for some business meetings. St. Louis is a city that rolls up its sidewalks on the weekends. Consequently, there are not many restaurants open on Sunday. Surprisingly, one of the restaurants located in the hotel building is not open on Sunday or Monday. This seems like a lapse in judgment based on the ability to pull in customers from the hotel.

All told, this is a very nice hotel providing clean comfortable accommodations and a polite, efficient, professional staff.

Atlanta, Ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

I stayed at the Suites tower and really liked the room. Very nice and clean suite. Everything was great on my 3 day stay. If you have to be downtown for business this is a great hotel. The staff was very helpful. The room service food is great. Only complaint was slow elevators.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Been to Renaissance St. Louis Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!