“Beautiful!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. Louis City Center Hotel

You added St. Louis City Center Hotel to your Saves list
St. Louis City Center Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   400 South 14th Street, Saint Louis, MO 63103 (Formerly Sheraton City Center) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #74 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
East Peoria
“Beautiful!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2007

After staying at a horrible hotel, we cancelled our reservations and came to the Sheraton. WOW!! This place is great!! We upgraded to a Club room for cheap. The lobby is gorgeous! The hotel is actually! It is in a great location! We walked to Union Station and to the City Museum. The pool was cold though, but it looked nice. The only negative thing was you had to wait for the front desk whenever you went down and the staff was slow in the restaurant. The food was good though. I didn't want to leave!!

• Liked — Beautiufl!
  • Disliked — Standing in line for front desk
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

I stayed at the Sheraton City Center from July 9 through 18, 2007 and found it to be nice for the price. The room was a suite, nicely decorated and clean; I had a little hill in the living room floor but not enough to downhill ski. The hotel claims to have a gift shop, but in reality it's a bookcase with toiletries hidden in the Starbucks in the lobby. I had a king size bed and the sheets never fit it, there was no fitted sheet and the flat sheet on the bottom wasn't even large enough to tuck under the mattress. It made for lumpy sleeping.

• Liked — convenient to the office
  • Disliked — there is nothing within a short walk except office buildings, nearest restaurant outside the hotel is about a mile away.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Columbia, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

We experienced no problems during our Sunday night stay. Staff at check-in, bar, and check-out were cordial. The room was luxurious with great view of downtown. Fitness center was nice, although hot due to morning sun. Columns Bar great place for after dinner drink. Parking was $17 on site. No other services used.

• Liked — cleanliness, everything looked new
  • Disliked — Parking was $17, little steep for not "right downtown"
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2007

Hey folks, I experienced some of the same management problems as were earlier reported, along with a few other problems.

My high-speed internet connection did not work. Zero signal. Zilch, nada. I'm a tech professional and had brought my own ethernet cable; I have a few tools to make sure my own laptop isn't the problem; it was not. So I called down to the front desk to see if I could either get moved to another room and have someone fix the problem.

The front desk line rang and rang and rang, and was finally answered by a harrassed-sounding woman who transferred me to the "help desk." This line also rang and rang and rang and nobody answered. So I called down again (more ringing) to see if I could leave a message. Put on hold, transferred again. More ringing, still no help.

So I called back and asked to be connected to a supervisor. Transferred yet again, to another line that (guess what) was not answered.

By this time I was pretty irritated, so I called back the front desk yet again and was given a number of dog-ate-my-homework excuses as to why this problem was not the desk clerk's fault, why she had supposedly done everything in her power and why I essentially had no right to expect them to fix the problem.

I had plans with friends and no time to fool with getting another room, or I might have checked out and gone elsewhere. About an hour later, right as I was leaving for non-negotiable dinner plans a tech assistant showed up. I had to refuse the help as I had not known he was coming and was not prepared to receive visitors at that exact moment.

The room itself smelled like the previous occupant, who had apparently perspired heavily. The room darkening shades had big gaps and I was awakened early.

On the plus side, the hotel is right on top of the Scottrade Center, the Hard Rock Cafe, and a bunch of cool shopping and other things to do. I thought the price was not unreasonable. The room was enormous, the bed was very comfortable, the hotel was quiet and I was able to get a pizza delivered at 2 AM. It's not in a great area, though, so don't plan to walk alone at night outside the hotel. I was a bit nervous coming back from Union Station after a late night meal.

When I checked out, I was charged for two days' parking at $17 per pop, even though I hadn't stayed even 24 hours. I asked for and was told I'd have one day's parking charge removed from my bill, plus charges for local telephone calls I made using a dialup Internet connection since my high-speed connection wouldn't work. I haven't received the bill yet, though, and it wouldn't surprise me to see those fees reappear. Also, the taxes and additional charges added an additional $30 to my bill beyond what I paid at hotels.com. Be warned!

• Liked — Location, the large room
  • Disliked — Lack of professionalism on the part of one staff member
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Iowa City, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2007

On the whole, this stay at the Sheraton was good. Right across from public transport to the Zoo, Art Museum, etc and in a decent location downtown. Management was always present and very helpful. There's a Starbucks on site for a decent quickie coffee.

Breakfasts and bar service were excellent....lots of dining options. Front desk staff were very helpful as were bell and valet staff.

Beds were very comfy and large. Bathroom had double sink and appropriately appointed.

Great workout room and pool and outdoor relaxing area. Lovely spacious lobby.

Downsides:

Ugly carpet and wall coverings. Need an upgrade.

Breakfast staff on the first day were a bit attitudey. Literally got an eye roll when asked not to be seated near a hollering child. Second day breakfast, no problem.

Wireless cost in the rooms but not in the lobby. Huh?

Wireless in the lobby and the rooms was scetchy at best. They do have their own I.T. people on staff.

• Liked — the beds
  • Disliked — the decor of the rooms and the wireless gouging
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

Stayed at this hotel from April 5th - 8th. It took three tries for them to get the room right - first time the room I was assigned was dirty - the second time it was not right room type - finally they gave me a room that matched my reservation. The room itself was ok -- not exceptionally clean -- the beds were comfortable but not great -- the towels were more like the ones you would find in a much lower end hotel.

Tried to order room service one day -- called after almost an hour and they still could not give an eta.... even though the menu clearly states 30 minutes guaranteed!!

Great location for events at the ScottTrade Center -- otherwise do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2007

This hotel has a great location - right across the street from metrolink, a block from Scottrade Center and 5-6 blocks from Busch Stadium
The front desk was a little slow (1 person to check people in) but very nice - the rooms were huge and clean (very impt)
we made several special requests as we had 4 people in the room (more pillows, more towels, more toilet paper) and received everything we requested within 15-20 minutes
the card reader in the elevator a little tricky but worth it for extra security
the breakfast prices were very reasonable by hotel standards ($10-$12) and the food was good
the front desk had pizza delivery recommendations handy and they were right on with the recommendation

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — we had an inside room which was dark but someone has to be inside . . . .
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to St. Louis City Center Hotel? Share your experiences!