“Stranded, and no support..” 2 of 5 stars
Review of St. Louis City Center Hotel

You added St. Louis City Center Hotel to your Saves list
St. Louis City Center Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   400 South 14th Street, Saint Louis, MO 63103 (Formerly Sheraton City Center) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #74 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Leawood, Kansas
“Stranded, and no support..”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I were part of a large group of individuals who traveled from out-of-state to attend a wedding in St. Louis. The bridal party had reserved a block of rooms for attendees, and many of us upgraded to stay on the Club Floor. The exterior of the building is lovely, but I was surprised and a little disappointed by the tired and outdated decor. The bones of the building are great - large rooms, large bathrooms, nice TV's, but everything else is from the 90's. Sheraton should make an investment in bringing that space up-to-date. Our initial impressions of staff (front desk, Club Lounge, lobby bar, housekeeping, valet) were all positive, very helpful and friendly. My husband and I arrived on Friday afternoon and decided to have dinner at a nearby restaurant that evening. We had the valet park our car, and the front desk suggested we take the HOTEL SHUTTLE to the restaurant. We gladly accepted, and a gentleman drove us a few blocks to the restaurant. After dinner we found a taxi stand close by for our return trip. The wedding was on Saturday afternoon, in a church on the outskirts of the Soulard. As it was Mardi Gras and some streets in the adjoining neighborhood would be closed for a parade, the front desk suggested that we take taxis to the church, versus driving. Sounded like a good idea, especially since none of us had been to St. Louis before, and didn't know our way around. We climbed into taxis and found that the driver didn't know his way around very well either, even though street barriers were being removed. It seemed as if drivers from outside the area were working that weekend, due to the influx of Mardi Gras attendees. We asked the driver how we could get back to the Sheraton after the service and he told us that there would be taxis waiting outside the church. We also had a business card for a taxi service, so thought we were covered. As we left the church, there were no taxis outside. There were 10 of us that weighed our options; one person called a taxi company and was told that because of Mardi Gras they would not come to the church, and said we should walk closer to the Soulard to find taxis waiting for fares. ?!?! Well, 10 of us walked at least a mile, in wedding attire, in the brisk wind and 45* temps, across a freeway overpass, calling taxi companies and the Sheraton along the way. We finally stopped at a Shell Station to take shelter and figure out what to do. One of the men in our group had called the Sheraton to ask if they could send the hotel shuttle to pick us up and was told "WE DON'T HAVE A HOTEL SHUTTLE". ?!?! There was no interest or attempt on the part of the Sheraton "Guest Services" operator (Dorothy) to help him. I called the hotel again from the Shell station and entered into a lengthy conversation with Dorothy, explaining our predicament and asking for assistance. I was also told that there was no hotel shuttle. I asked her "So what did my husband and I ride in to dinner last night, an imaginary shuttle?". Dorothy responded "I wasn't working last night." What a helpful reply! As I pressed Dorothy for assistance, I got no where. I and 2 previous callers from our group all asked if she would go out to the taxi stand and tell them that we would pay round-trip fare if they would come and get us. She told me "Oh no ma'am, they are all too busy today. It will take you 2 hours to get a taxi". Again - a really helpful reply, and NO suggestion for an alternate plan either! I was not giving up, even though I could tell that Dorothy just wanted me to go away (some impression the other callers had too), so she agreed to try and call a taxi company for me. Dorothy expected me to hang up, but I insisted that she put me on hold while she called. After some time on hold, she told me that all the taxi lines were busy and wanted to give me some phone numbers so I could call on my own. Again - the helpful response, accompanied by a brush off. At this point I asked for her name; she responded and added "I'm trying as hard as I can". Uhm... no. I am confidant that I know the difference between someone who is genuinely trying to help me, and someone who is blowing me off. How the 10 people in our group got back to the Sheraton was a scene straight out of the movie "Planes, Trains and Automobiles", and we arrived cold, windblown, and very unhappy! I cannot believe the absolute lack of concern on the part of the "Guest Services" operator about 10 guests STRANDED AND DESPERATE, about 4 miles from the hotel. Everyone who called the Sheraton for support received polite, scripted and totally noncommital comments that conveyed a "not my problem" attitude. Later, as we were leaving the Sheraton hotel for the offsite wedding reception (in our own cars, needless to say) I
shared our story with an off-duty police officer in the lobby. He said that the hotel does have a shuttle, but they charter it out, which is why it was available to take my husband and I to dinner on Friday evening, but not available (or not in existence, according to Dorothy) on Saturday afternoon. Wow - and thanks a lot, Sheraton, you could at least be honest. 14 of us met for breakfast on Sunday morning, as we prepared to leave. While we enjoyed the wedding, and some aspects of our stay at the Sheraton, we agreed that we will never forget the fiasco and feeling of abandonment we experienced when seeking help from the Sheraton. We are all seasoned travelers with means, so we weren't looking for a freebie, we were willing to pay double - or whatever it would have taken - to get a ride back to the hotel. So, our trip was marred by this very unfortunate incident. Would we stay at the Sheraton again? Well, maybe under certain circumstances, but only with the understanding that we could not depend on them to take care of us. Would we book a block of rooms for wedding guests? Absolutely not. As we checked out, my husband brought up our unhappiness to desk staff, and they comped us the cost of valet parking our car for two days - $46. This was one of those situations that should never have happened, that affected a large group of people, who will share this story with friends and strangers..like a big boulder thrown into a little pond - the ripples go on and on.

Room Tip: Stay on the club floor and have access to food and beverages, as well as a lounge. Views from exter...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
mwright1973, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear greatexpectattions,

Thank you for sharing the disappointing experience you encountered during your stay on Saturday February 10th, 2013

I very much regret the unfortunate circumstances that led to the frustration and inconveniences that you suffered. As I am sure you understand, Guest safety and Satisfaction is our utmost priority during your stay. I can certainly understand how disturbing it must have been for you to be given the incorrect information regarding our shuttle. I apologize for the lack of communication on the part of various employees involved in this situation, and want to assure you that steps have been taken ensure that similar situations do not re-occur.

Once again I very much regret all the inconvenience that was caused but truly appreciate the time you took to share your experience. Here at The Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel, we believe that Feedback is a gift, and it is only through feedback from valuable guests such as yourself can we learn and grow. I would like to assure you that all of us here at The Sheraton St. Louis City Center are dedicated to total customer satisfaction and hope that you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate this commitment.

Warm Regards,

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I booked this hotel based on a decent price, suite accommodations and great location right next to the Amtrak station. I was very concerned about the condition of the hotel based on the reviews here on TripAdvisor. No need for concern, the hotel appeared to be well maintained and in fine condition. I chose Floor #8 (Club Floor) and it was terrific for very little additional cost. There is a club lounge on this floor with a light breakfast and drinks throughout the day along with strong free wifi. I would have no reservations about returning and yes, this staff was terrific as well.

Room Tip: Floor #8 is club level.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear RastamaninKansas,

Thank you for choosing The Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel for your recent hotel visit. We truly appreciate you staying us and appreciate the time you took share your experience after your departure.
It is only through feedback from valued Guests such as yourself can we continue to improving our products and services.
It was gratifying to read that you rated all areas as Excellent. Your comments will be shared with all of our associate, to reinforce the fruit of their efforts.

Again, thank you for giving us the opportunity to demonstrate that Total Customer Satisfaction is our utmost priority.

Mark Wright,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had a nice time at the Sheraton City Suites. It was during Mardi Gras (we weren't there for that), but they had extra security and it was a quiet night. We booked our trip through priceline and I called and requested a king bed and we ended up in a king suite that had a separate room with a tv and queen sleeper sofa. Overall, nice place!

Room Tip: Ask to stay gfacing the arena and you can have a view of downtown and see the arch. Otherwise you m...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
mwright1973, Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear Hotmessmom21,

Thank you for choosing The Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel & Suites for your recent hotel visit. We truly appreciate you staying with us and appreciate the time you took to share your experience on Trip Advisor after your departure. It is valued conscientious Guests such as yourself that provide us the feedback necessary to continue to improve our products and services.

It was gratifying to read that you rated all areas as Excellent. Your comments will be shared with our Team to reinforce the fruits of their efforts.

As we continue to strive to exceed all guests’ expectations and want every guest to have an exceptional stay; your feedback is imperative for us to better understand the needs and concerns of our guests. Thank you once more for the gift of your feedback.
Once again, we thank you for your patronage and hope that we have earned your loyalty and future business. If there is anything we can do further please feel free to contact me directly.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

First time for us and very suprised and pleased. Easy access to interstate and close to many attractions in downtown St. Louis. Would recommend to anyone. Beautiful, clean, quiet, very helpful staff and great rooms.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear TrapDad,

Thank you for choosing The Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel & Suites for your recent hotel visit. We truly appreciate you staying us and appreciate the time you took to post your feedback after your departure. It is valued conscientious Guests such as yourself that provide us the feedback necessary to continue to improve our products and services.

It was gratifying to read that you rated all areas as Excellent. Your comments will be shared with the Team to reinforce the fruit of their efforts.
Once again, we thank you for your patronage and hope that we have earned your future business. If there is anything we can do further please feel free to contact me directly.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

I was first surprised by the very large suite for a room. It was great to have the bedroom and the living room separated. We stayed on the club level and enjoyed the snacks and drinks. The best part about the room (the most important to me) was the comfort of the bed. It was comfortable and cozy with a nice big comforter and big fluffy pillows.

The location is excellent. We were able to hop on the metro link and head to the riverfront for dinner.

I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Piph-Daddy,

Thank you very much for choosing The Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel for your recent hotel visit. We truly appreciate you staying us and appreciate the time you took share your experience after your departure. It is valued conscientious Guests such as yourself that give us the feedback necessary to continue improving our products and services.

Best regards,

Monticello, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed here last June (2012). Our room was a huge suite, probably the largest room I have ever stayed in. It was a bit outdated as far as decor goes, but it was clean and had everything we needed at a great price. The beds were so comfortable and we had coffee in the room. The outside of the building was just beautiful how they painted it. The staff was great. The location was wonderful. We took the bus (the bus depot is right across the street) to the arch and then walked back. We found a wonderful surprise on the walk back - it was a park that had lots of cool light shows and art work.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Meeshell89,

Thank you for choosing The Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel for your recent visit. We truly appreciate you staying with us and appreciate the time you took to share your experience on Tripadvisor. Here at the Sheraton St. Louis, we believe that Feedback is a gift. It is valued conscientious Guests such as yourself, that take the time to provide feedback required to continue to improve our products and services.

Once again, thank you for your patronage and we hope that we have earned your loyalty and future business.

St Louis MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Spent 1 night and received an easy early check in thanks to Maggie. Very pleasant staff...from parking attendant to check in. Rooms were very spacious and clean. Yes.. a "little" dated but not so much that it would stop me from staying here again. The location is outstaning within walking distance to Scott Trade....The Peabody and even Union Station. There are added fees for internet and parking but reasonable. Shop around all the sites to get the best deal. I got a great deal right from the hotels website. Ohh...the bed and pillows so comfortabale. Had a great nights sleep!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Courtney D, Front Office Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate all of our guest’s feedback. We are thrilled to hear that our associates were able to take such good care of you. We are also very happy to hear that you enjoyed the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper mattress which is available for purchase at sheraton.com, or you can of course always come back and enjoy one on your next trip to St. Louis.

Been to St. Louis City Center Hotel? Share your experiences!