“Awesome time in St. Louis!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. Louis City Center Hotel

You added St. Louis City Center Hotel to your Saves list
St. Louis City Center Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   400 South 14th Street, Saint Louis, MO 63103 (Formerly Sheraton City Center) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #74 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Awesome time in St. Louis!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I LOVE this hotel! It's so fancy and it wasn't very expensive at all. We got a great deal on the room, had a blast at the pool, and relaxed at night in a huge bed while watching the Olympics. My boyfriend and I went to St. Louis to explore around and have a sweet vacation and the location of this hotel was PERFECT. Easy access to downtown (heck, you are downtown!) and a super quick walk to the metro. The staff was so nice and when I left my cell phone charger by accident they gave me a brand new one! (They had some in the back b/c it has happened before) Such a phenomenal experience. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: I think that all the rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Courtney D, Front Office Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate all of our guest feedback and are thrilled to hear that our team was able to take great care of you during your stay with us. We pride ourselves on delivering outstanding service and we look forward to connecting with you upon your next journey to St. Louis.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

As an SPG Platinum member, I stay in Starwood hotels across the US on a regular basis. This is by far the worst Sheraton I have ever stayed in! First of all, the area immediately surrounding the hotel is dark and sketchy. I wouldn't recommend walking around at night by the hotel. However, I could deal with that if the hotel itself weren't such a dump!

When I checked in, I was informed they had upgraded me to a suite. I thought that meant I would get a great room. Boy, was I wrong! When I walked in, the room (#531) reeked of smoke (all SPG hotels are non-smoking), the carpet had multiple stains, the furniture was stained and falling apart. I immediately called down to have my room switched.

My second room (#525) wasn't much better. It was also a suite, but this time the A/C vent wouldn't turn on. The room was musty and smelled like a damp basement. Again, I called down to the front desk. They sent a maintenance employee up, and he determined the transformer was bad. So they moved me to a third room.

By the time I got to the 3rd room, it was nearly an hour since I had checked in. The room (a suite on the club floor, #817) was tolerable. It was also dumpy, but at least everything worked and it didn't smell like smoke. It's truly sad that my standard was so low, but I knew I wasn't going to get anything better in this hotel.

Across the 3 rooms I had, I noticed that they all had stains on the carpet/walls, furniture was in bad shape, and the place generally looked and smelled old.

The only positive thing I can say about this hotel is that I was consistently treated well by the staff. They were very nice and accommodating. However, that does not even come close to making up for the condition of the place. I will take my business elsewhere for the next 6 months that I will be traveling to St. Louis for work.

Room Tip: Find another hotel. There are no good rooms here.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Alex L, Director of Operations at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay & feedback. As a loyal SPG platinum member we are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Although our hotel is in need of updating, we focus on our guest interactions to ensure we meet our guests expectations. I am happy to hear that our guest interactions were positive ones. Our property is a non smoking property and charge any guests that have smoked in their guest rooms and strive to ensure our guests understand our hotel's policy.

Once again we apologize for the inconvenience during your stay.
surrey, british Columbia, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Overall the staff for the most part are good and the place is clean. Rooms are very large and accommodating and include bar fridge and sink. Maurice in the bar is awesome and will provide you great service.

Hotel is close to all major transit. Walking distance to Busch stadium and most of town. Nice long 20m pool upstairs and workout facility.

However on our last night when we had to get up at 4:00am for early flight we had new neighbors check in and they were noisy from the afternoon on. Complained about the party noise at 11:00pm and was told they would look after it. It continued and we complained again at 11:30pm. the girl at the front desk then said there is nothing they can do about it. Would we like to move rooms.

Are you kidding me? We had been there five nights and were getting up in a few hours. Move rooms? Pissed me off. We then phoned again at midnight and I told them I was not going to pay for the current night and wanted compensation for our stay.

The girl agreed and said my night would be reimbursed. That next morning they could not provide me a receipt to prove my compensation and three days later I have not seen a credit on my Airmiles. I can only assume at this point they scammed me to shut me up.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Courtney D, Front Office Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The matters that you have shown concern for have all been addressed. I look forward to speaking with you in the near future regarding your concerns.
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I was part of the wedding party for a reception being held at the Sheraton City Center. When I called to reserve my room from the blocked rooms reserved at a special rate for this event I was told that the block had expired and they wanted to charge an extra $66.00. I made other arrangements to stay else where and when the bride found out I was staying somewhere else she asked why. I explained the situation and she and her family called to complain as they were not told about any expiration date for the blocked rooms. The bride was able to reserve my room for me at the special rate without my credit card information. I thought all was good and looked forward to a great experience. Upon check in I provided my debit card out of habit and then asked the front desk lady if I could pay using my credit card instead. She said that was no problem and processed the fee for the room using my credit card. The next day after I had already checked out I looked at my bank account and found a charge from the Sheraton for an amount that was not the final bill amount that was on the paper slid under my door. Not to mention my credit card was also charged for the room at the correct rate. It appeared that I had been double billed, so I called the Sheraton to get this resolved. I spoke to Courtney the front desk manager who seemed as though he could care less about customer service. He said that it is standard procedure to authorize a certain amount more that the room rate via the credit/debit card. When I asked why they would authorize an amount via both of my cards he did not have an answer. I could understand this mistake if I had provided my debit card at that time of booking, but since I did not I felt it should not have been an issue. The very least they could have done is said we have already authorized the room using the first card I provided. Instead I had two holds on two different cards for the same room! Once I hung up with Courtney I called asked to speak to Courtney's boss. I was transferred to the assistant of Alex Lugo. She had AMAZING customer service and took my complaint seriously unlike Courtney. She said she would pass my information along to Alex and to wait for his call. When Alex called he may have had more terrible customer service than Courtney. He never once apologized for my inconvenience, but did say it sounds like a training issue may be going on with the front desk. Had either Courtney or Alex been sympathetic what so ever toward my situation I would have dropped this and allowed them to correct their mistake. I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone and I think Courtney and Alex may be in the wrong line of work or in serious need of a seminar on customer service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Alex L, Director of Operations at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Good afternoon Jennifer,

Thank you for your reply and your stay. As mentioned during our initial phone conversation, we were attempting to assist in releasing your bank authorization but due to the holiday we were unable to contact your bank to do so. We understood your frustration and were attempting to rectify the situation. We are taking measures to ensure our associates are properly trained on how to handle debit cards and the consequences and inconveniences it puts on our guests.

In the end, we are happy to have been able to assist in getting the hold on the card released through your banking institution as soon as we could the next morning.

Regards,
Matthews, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

After having a completely disasterous experience at a bed & breakfast in Bonne Terre, we decided to take our losses and leave a day early despite having paid for the room. I was able to get a room at the Sheraton using my SPG rewards points and was a little nervous after seeing some negative reviews. However, when I walked in to the lobby, Tim was so gracious and helpful. He upgraded our room to a suite, which was perfect because it gave our 15 year old daughter her own space to keep her TV on and chat on her phone all night. She needed some pillows to set up her bed with the pull out queen sofa and upon calling, Tim told us he would send someone right away.

I wish I could remember the name of the security guard who helped cart all of our luggage up to our room. He was very genial and helpful as well.

We had dinner in "Columns" because we were in the mood to just wind down for the night. The food and service was okay. The room service menu seemed expensive ($20 for 2 eggs, bacon or sausage and toast), so we didn't splurge on that.

I was surprised how quiet the hotel was because there was a Cardinals game that night at the stadium just a few blocks away. I thought it was kind of sad that things seemed slow and wonder if that is why the decor could use some freshening up. I understand not wanting to sink a bunch of money into a hotel if it's not booming, but I hope things turn around for them. We did have flat screen tvs in the bedroom and sitting areas and nothing was dirty or ill kept. The hotel is convenient to so much downtown.

Thank you for making our long weekend in St. Louis from being a complete disaster.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your review. We are thrilled to hear that we were able to help save your weekend. We strive to wow all of our guests with our service. We are thrilled to hear that Tim did a great job in servicing your needs. We look forward to your next trip to St. Louis and hope that you will allow us to be a part of it.
Monmouth Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Rachel, the front desk mgr. was incredibly helpful. She got us a 20% Illinois resident discount when "reservations" couldn't even find it on their own website. The room was clean, well-appointed and the bed comfortable. At Bistro 14, Michelle, our server, helped us out with my wife's gluten intolerence. She personally checked with the chef about the allergens on the buffet. (And the breakfast was delicious!) We took the train to St. Louis and the hotel is a very short walk from the train station. When we return again, we will definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Get a junior suite. It has a glass walk-in shower, 2 person jetted tub and plenty of room. Don't...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are thrilled to hear that our team was very helpful. We are especially thrilled to hear that Rachael and Michelle were able to accommodate you with your requests. We look forward to your next journey to St. Louis and will do our best to ensure that it is memorable as well.
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Booked thru Priceline so for the price it was a good deal. After Priceline revealed the hotel and I read some reviews, I was somewhat leery. But for some reason I lucked out and got a HUGE governer's suite so space was no problem. There were a few minor annoyances (like at most hotels) and yes the decor was a little outdated and a little worn, however our bathroom was modernized and very nice. The staff was always friendly and eager to help. A major transit stop is across the street but was not noisy or create a bad atmosphere. I ended up extending the stay another night, as I had no complaints.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper like me, you should ask for an east-facing room. The west side faces an i...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Courtney D, Front Office Manager at St. Louis City Center Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. We are thrilled to hear that your stay exceeded expectations. We are also very happy to hear that the members of our team were friendly and eager to help. We look forward to your next journey to St. Louis and hope that you choose to stay with us again.

Been to St. Louis City Center Hotel? Share your experiences!