“Best Hotel in St. Louis” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   811 Spruce St, Saint Louis, MO 63102 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #4 of 124 hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Best Hotel in St. Louis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2005

We used this hotel for our wedding party and they all loved it! We stayed at another (more expensive) hotel on our wedding night and cancelled our second night to stay at the Westin before leaving for our honeymoon. Since then, we always stay here when doing things downtown- ball games, etc. And, they have 24 hour room service (which I LOVE). And, of course, the beds really are heavenly. We now stay at Westin/Starwood hotels any time we travel if possible.

Stayed October 2004

888 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2005

We decided to take our son to a Cardinals game. All of the local hotels were booked except for the Westin. We do not like to fight traffic so we took the plunge and made reservations (The Westin is located across the street from Busch Stadium). The room was nice but not worth the money. Parking was not included in the rate (nothing else was either). We were even charged $3.00 for the little bottle of shampoo we used during our stay. Even your most inexpensive hotels give complimentary shampoo. If money is not a concern, the Westin is the place to stay.

• Stayed July 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2005

Was recommended by Starwood Hotels to try out the Westin since our normal hotel in St Louis was book. "A" plus to Starwood for the recommadation. I have stayed in plenty of 5 star hotels, the Westin deserves 6 stars. We was greeted by a friendly front desk. The rooms was unbelieveable gorgeous. Bathroom was beautiful. Beds didnt sleep so heavenly, but it got the job done for a comfortable night of sleep. Kid friendly. Did not hear any noise or ruckas in the hall nor in the next room. Of course there was a few cons. Valet was kind of pricey. A rude like.... lazy doorman. Hotel room service wasnt that good. But all in all....if your looking for something with a sharp image and very comfortable atmosphere, the Westin is for you.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2005

My wife and I stayed recently on a weekend for a late anniversary trip. The check-in process went very smooth and did they did honor my request for a top floor room. The "heavenly beds" are nice and my wife loved it. I thought I was just a little too soft. Everything in the room was clean and in working order. The hotel is set up more for business travelers than for couples but we still had a nice time. The only complaint I would have is the $9.95 per day charged for high speed internet access. A lot of places are offering that for free these days. Valet Parking was $18 per day which is in-line with what you will pay in a downtown Hotel. Also, options for dining are limited in the area unless you take the Metrolink over to Union Station. The hotels own Clark Street Grill food and service was OK, but overpriced.

• Stayed June 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2005

The Westin St. Louis is a gem! I arrived at The Westin and had my cab door opened and promptly greeted by the doorman Blue. He welcomed me to the best Westin in the world and stated that this is now my home away from home. He loaded my luggage onto his cart and walked me to the front desk. The front desk clerks were extremely friendly and knowledgable, stating that the hotel has one of the best restaurants in St. Louis, the Clark Street Grille, 24 hour room service, complimentary Gym, and the Solera Spa. I now understand why the doorman stated that this is the best Westin in the world, because there is an award on the front desk from Starwood that states exactly that. Wow! I was quickly checked in and then assisted to my GORGEOUS room, needless to stay very SPACIOUS, by Keith, the attendant. He pointed out the unique aspects of the property, such as original artwork in the rooms and throughout the hotel, and even filled my ice bucket and properly set up my luggage to unpack. The room was AMAZING! It had to be the largest room that I have ever stayed in, in addition, there was a well-stocked mini-bar and the most eclectic artwork in the room and bathroom. The bathroom was superior to any hotel that I have stayed in. It was extremely large, had original artwork above the sunken tub, and a huge glassed in marble shower. If you have not slept in their "heavenly bed", you are missing out. I just ordered one to have put in my own bedroom, if that tells you anything. I had complimentary hors d'oevres and cocktails in the club lounge before dinner. The concierge, Edward, was the most friendly and knowledgable concierge that I have ever met. He told me about the hotel and where to definetely go in St. Louis, recommending some of the best restaurants that I have ever been to, ecspecially the hotels restaurant (spectacular!), and Mosaic on 11th and Washington (phenomenal!). The deserts and hors d'oevres in the club lounge were outstanding. There were hot and cold dishes, such as spicy shrimp kabobs, brucshetta, and sumptious petit fours. I barely had room for dinner! The Clarke Street Grille is outstanding. The other people who reviewed the restaurant must have dined there on an "off" night. I could not ask for better food or service! A big thanks to the concierge again for recommending Mosaic for dinner on our next evening. This was a piece of NYC brought to St. Louis, and I understand why. Within the next ten years, I was told by a developer that St. Louis will be the Paris of the United States, and I could see the city transforming wherever I went. By far the best restaurants, bars, clubs, and casinos, without the pretentiousness of New York or Miami. The Westin is located directly across the street fom the Cardinals stadium, which is why the Dodgers were staying at the hotel. Let alone did I see famous sportsmen, soap opera stars, and a couple movie stars, the band Green Day, and a guy who stated that he hosted a show on MTV but now has a talk show. Hang out at the bar- it is a piece of Hollywood. I never saw so many stars hanging out at a bar- not even in LA. The Westin St. Louis was an outstanding experience that I will never forget and will return to, hopefully on a frequent basis!

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
Indianapolis, In
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2005

We just stayed at the Westin St. Louis while we were in town for a Cardinals game. It is an awesome hotel!! The decor is very elegant and modern. Plus the rooms are roomy with wonderful beds and nice bathrooms. Plus it is close to stadium and the metrolink.
We Highly recommend it!!!!

The only bad thing about the hotel is the Clark Street Grille. This is not a good resturant. We went their for breakfast one morning. Never were waited on, so we went to the Buffett ourselves and all the food was cold and gross. We found a manager and told them we were leaving.

Duluth, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2005

Just returned from five days at the Westin. It was our first visit to St. Louis, which is transforming itself - as we watched - into a destination city. The Westin is lovely in every respect - well kept, nice service, original art work everywhere, great lighting and bathrooms. ( The lighting was very modern and took some time to figure out, but I thought was very adequate for us in our sixties) The location, steps from the very safe feeling Metro, was terrific. All SL needs now is good shopping downtown - and that will come with all the lofts under construction - and the new Metro to the Galleria, which will be an easy ride from downtown.

The Westin is quite expensive in comparison to the other downtown hotels and needs to work on their service in a few instances, in order to really deserve that near Ritz Carlton price. We reserved a king room- on the club level - weeks earlier, and were told one was not now available for three days. I asked for a nightly room rate reduction - to stay in the queen bedded room- and immediately got it. ( Overheard that the owners group was in town and staying at the hotel, so there was definitely a feeing that all the staff were a bit on edge... and perhaps overbooked in the kings) The restaurant is very attractive - but bread was soggy in sandwich at lunch - and omlet was just greasy at breakfast. ( Club level food was great.)That said, we ate at some wonderful restaurants in SL - Dunn's, Mirasol, Lucas Park, St. Louis Fish Mkt......all reasonably priced, in comparison to other large US cities.

Think that the Westin may need to step up its business services. Some fellow was angry at the desk staff for not logging in his daily fax - and immediately having it ready for him - and I felt sorry for the youngsters working, as management seems to not be effecting procedures that apparently are routine other places. All the staff were very pleasant and helpful. In fact, we found fine hospitality all over the city.

The Club level concierge staff were particularly excellent. They responded to every question - and seemed really proud - and realistic- about the goodnesses - and drawbacks - of their city under renewal. St. Louis has a world class Botanical Garden, which we were more anxious to see after their recommendations.

All in all, We would be delighted to return to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business

Been to Westin St. Louis? Share your experiences!