“SURPASSES FIVE STAR LUXURY” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   811 Spruce St, Saint Louis, MO 63102 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #4 of 124 hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“SURPASSES FIVE STAR LUXURY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2005

The Westin St. Louis is a gem! I arrived at The Westin and had my cab door opened and promptly greeted by the doorman Blue. He welcomed me to the best Westin in the world and stated that this is now my home away from home. He loaded my luggage onto his cart and walked me to the front desk. The front desk clerks were extremely friendly and knowledgable, stating that the hotel has one of the best restaurants in St. Louis, the Clark Street Grille, 24 hour room service, complimentary Gym, and the Solera Spa. I now understand why the doorman stated that this is the best Westin in the world, because there is an award on the front desk from Starwood that states exactly that. Wow! I was quickly checked in and then assisted to my GORGEOUS room, needless to stay very SPACIOUS, by Keith, the attendant. He pointed out the unique aspects of the property, such as original artwork in the rooms and throughout the hotel, and even filled my ice bucket and properly set up my luggage to unpack. The room was AMAZING! It had to be the largest room that I have ever stayed in, in addition, there was a well-stocked mini-bar and the most eclectic artwork in the room and bathroom. The bathroom was superior to any hotel that I have stayed in. It was extremely large, had original artwork above the sunken tub, and a huge glassed in marble shower. If you have not slept in their "heavenly bed", you are missing out. I just ordered one to have put in my own bedroom, if that tells you anything. I had complimentary hors d'oevres and cocktails in the club lounge before dinner. The concierge, Edward, was the most friendly and knowledgable concierge that I have ever met. He told me about the hotel and where to definetely go in St. Louis, recommending some of the best restaurants that I have ever been to, ecspecially the hotels restaurant (spectacular!), and Mosaic on 11th and Washington (phenomenal!). The deserts and hors d'oevres in the club lounge were outstanding. There were hot and cold dishes, such as spicy shrimp kabobs, brucshetta, and sumptious petit fours. I barely had room for dinner! The Clarke Street Grille is outstanding. The other people who reviewed the restaurant must have dined there on an "off" night. I could not ask for better food or service! A big thanks to the concierge again for recommending Mosaic for dinner on our next evening. This was a piece of NYC brought to St. Louis, and I understand why. Within the next ten years, I was told by a developer that St. Louis will be the Paris of the United States, and I could see the city transforming wherever I went. By far the best restaurants, bars, clubs, and casinos, without the pretentiousness of New York or Miami. The Westin is located directly across the street fom the Cardinals stadium, which is why the Dodgers were staying at the hotel. Let alone did I see famous sportsmen, soap opera stars, and a couple movie stars, the band Green Day, and a guy who stated that he hosted a show on MTV but now has a talk show. Hang out at the bar- it is a piece of Hollywood. I never saw so many stars hanging out at a bar- not even in LA. The Westin St. Louis was an outstanding experience that I will never forget and will return to, hopefully on a frequent basis!

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business

888 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Indianapolis, In
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2005

We just stayed at the Westin St. Louis while we were in town for a Cardinals game. It is an awesome hotel!! The decor is very elegant and modern. Plus the rooms are roomy with wonderful beds and nice bathrooms. Plus it is close to stadium and the metrolink.
We Highly recommend it!!!!

The only bad thing about the hotel is the Clark Street Grille. This is not a good resturant. We went their for breakfast one morning. Never were waited on, so we went to the Buffett ourselves and all the food was cold and gross. We found a manager and told them we were leaving.

Duluth, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2005

Just returned from five days at the Westin. It was our first visit to St. Louis, which is transforming itself - as we watched - into a destination city. The Westin is lovely in every respect - well kept, nice service, original art work everywhere, great lighting and bathrooms. ( The lighting was very modern and took some time to figure out, but I thought was very adequate for us in our sixties) The location, steps from the very safe feeling Metro, was terrific. All SL needs now is good shopping downtown - and that will come with all the lofts under construction - and the new Metro to the Galleria, which will be an easy ride from downtown.

The Westin is quite expensive in comparison to the other downtown hotels and needs to work on their service in a few instances, in order to really deserve that near Ritz Carlton price. We reserved a king room- on the club level - weeks earlier, and were told one was not now available for three days. I asked for a nightly room rate reduction - to stay in the queen bedded room- and immediately got it. ( Overheard that the owners group was in town and staying at the hotel, so there was definitely a feeing that all the staff were a bit on edge... and perhaps overbooked in the kings) The restaurant is very attractive - but bread was soggy in sandwich at lunch - and omlet was just greasy at breakfast. ( Club level food was great.)That said, we ate at some wonderful restaurants in SL - Dunn's, Mirasol, Lucas Park, St. Louis Fish Mkt......all reasonably priced, in comparison to other large US cities.

Think that the Westin may need to step up its business services. Some fellow was angry at the desk staff for not logging in his daily fax - and immediately having it ready for him - and I felt sorry for the youngsters working, as management seems to not be effecting procedures that apparently are routine other places. All the staff were very pleasant and helpful. In fact, we found fine hospitality all over the city.

The Club level concierge staff were particularly excellent. They responded to every question - and seemed really proud - and realistic- about the goodnesses - and drawbacks - of their city under renewal. St. Louis has a world class Botanical Garden, which we were more anxious to see after their recommendations.

All in all, We would be delighted to return to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2005

I stayed at the Westin for 2 nights for a business meeting. Sunday evening we had a buffet dinner, and they ran out of meat for the group. The room was very spacious, as was the bathroom, and the beds were luxuriously soft & comfortable. My complaint was that the lighting was not very bright in the room overall. Also, my room on the second floor was right next two the train line, so you can listen to the train all night. I always take a "white noise"machine on trips, so that essentially covered the train noise for me. It's next door to the baseball stadium and within walking distance of the river and THe Arch.Overall, nice proerty for business travelers or baseball fans.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
Centennial, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2005

I started the evening skeptical as the directions to the hotel did not work due to construction. I found myself an alone women in a less than desirable area of downtown. I pulled into the courtyard into what looks like small warehouses, after passing several appealing looking high rise hotels in a better part of town. There was no valet present (on duty -yes, present no). After inquiring at the desk a very pleasant valet immediately showed up and helped me with my luggage and car.
I was assigned a room on the 2nd floor. As a single business women a typically don't accept 2nd floor rooms due to safety. But I was tired and took the room. FANTASTIC. What a beautiful room. King Bed, business desk, non-smoking, couch, one of the largest most luxurious bath rooms in a hotel I've experienced. I definitely tried out that bath tub.
The hotel is very modern, very upscale, very urban, very urban loft as we would say in Denver, in keeping with the renovated warehouses. The restaurant was excellent.
The bar service was an experience to remember. I still can't believe what transpired in front of me. As I sat at the bar reading my book there ensued a HUGE verbal argument between the evidently bar manager and 3 of the servers. The youngest server seems to realize the awkwardness of the incident and made sure my drink was refilled as the yelling continued. Very inappropriate to an upscale place. Take the argument to the back office.
Overall my trepidation turned into a wonderful experience and a beautiful hotel I would go back to.

• Stayed March 2005
West Palm Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2005

A consistent business traveler to St Louis..I have stayed at just about every downtown hotel and feel that the Westin, is second to none. Yes, it is a bit more pricey than other hotels in St Louis however; the beds, all glass large showers, service and the people make me return each trip to St Louis.

St. Louis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2005

My husband and I booked a room for our anniversary, but it was too sleek, cold, and businessy for a romantic weekend. The staff was nice and cancelled our reservation without charging us anything. I guess it would be fine for a business conference, but the atmosphere was definitely not warm or welcoming enough for an anniversary getaway. By the way, we went to the Hyatt at Union Station instead and were completely pleased. Much more charm and ambiance, plus all the perks of Union Station.

• Stayed May 2004

Been to Westin St. Louis? Share your experiences!