“Sleek hotel with pluses and minuses” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   811 Spruce St, Saint Louis, MO 63102 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #5 of 122 hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Centennial, CO
“Sleek hotel with pluses and minuses”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2005

I started the evening skeptical as the directions to the hotel did not work due to construction. I found myself an alone women in a less than desirable area of downtown. I pulled into the courtyard into what looks like small warehouses, after passing several appealing looking high rise hotels in a better part of town. There was no valet present (on duty -yes, present no). After inquiring at the desk a very pleasant valet immediately showed up and helped me with my luggage and car.
I was assigned a room on the 2nd floor. As a single business women a typically don't accept 2nd floor rooms due to safety. But I was tired and took the room. FANTASTIC. What a beautiful room. King Bed, business desk, non-smoking, couch, one of the largest most luxurious bath rooms in a hotel I've experienced. I definitely tried out that bath tub.
The hotel is very modern, very upscale, very urban, very urban loft as we would say in Denver, in keeping with the renovated warehouses. The restaurant was excellent.
The bar service was an experience to remember. I still can't believe what transpired in front of me. As I sat at the bar reading my book there ensued a HUGE verbal argument between the evidently bar manager and 3 of the servers. The youngest server seems to realize the awkwardness of the incident and made sure my drink was refilled as the yelling continued. Very inappropriate to an upscale place. Take the argument to the back office.
Overall my trepidation turned into a wonderful experience and a beautiful hotel I would go back to.

• Stayed March 2005

821 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
West Palm Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2005

A consistent business traveler to St Louis..I have stayed at just about every downtown hotel and feel that the Westin, is second to none. Yes, it is a bit more pricey than other hotels in St Louis however; the beds, all glass large showers, service and the people make me return each trip to St Louis.

St. Louis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2005

My husband and I booked a room for our anniversary, but it was too sleek, cold, and businessy for a romantic weekend. The staff was nice and cancelled our reservation without charging us anything. I guess it would be fine for a business conference, but the atmosphere was definitely not warm or welcoming enough for an anniversary getaway. By the way, we went to the Hyatt at Union Station instead and were completely pleased. Much more charm and ambiance, plus all the perks of Union Station.

• Stayed May 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2005

Some friends and I went to Mardi Gras in St Louis last weekend and stayed at the Westin. What an amazing hotel! First off the location was great, and the service was outstanding.
We valeted, it was only $18..totally worth it on a busy weekend, especially when you don't plan on driving. The guys at the front were awesome, and gave us beads as soon as we arrived. Sure, we did have to wait a bit to check in to the hotel..they overbooked smoking rooms. But we went with non, and that was fine. My friends and I loved the bathroom! We've been all around the world, and haven't found a room that compares to the Westin in St Louis. The rooms are so contemporary..and the artwork alone in the rooms was outstanding!

Room service was great, and check out was a breeze (express checkout).
Don't believe the negative reviews, stay at the Westin next time you go thru St Louis. You won't be dissappointed! :-)

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2004

My Fiancee and I have stayed in the Westin several times now and have never been dissapointed. Our first stay was booked by me without any knowledge of the Hotels reputation. I booked it based on the picture of the room and was amazed when we walked into our room and it was EXACTLY like the picture. We've stayed there since and have always been pleased with the service, the rooms and the location. I'll be staying again in a weeks time. We've booked a room as part of their "Heavenly Bed" 5 year anniversay. Their standard rooms are amazing, we get an upgrade for booking online so I can't wait to see what we are presented with on arrival !! Anyone who's stayed here will know how great the "Heavenly Beds" are. If you haven't stayed here yet then what are you waiting for. A worldclass hotel at VERY reasonable prices. I'd recommend booking direct with the hotel as they run a price match policy which will give you a 10% discount if you find the room cheaper elsewhere !!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2004

Spent 3 nights at the Westin in June 2004 for an anniversary trip.

The hotel was gorgeous. The hallways were even cool!

The service was not so stellar. Parking was a hassle due to Cardinals games, check-in took forever, was never anyone at the concierge desk to answer questions.

Had dinner at the Clark St Grill one night. Probably one of the worst experiences as far as service goes. Felt like we were inconveniencing the server the entire time, and had to wait a long while for everything we asked for. The upside was that the food was AMAZING. The chefs were marvelous, and we stopped and thanked them at the end of the night.

Ordered dessert from room service, and our "half-hour" quote on a piece of cheesecake and a piece of pie turned into a 1-hour, forty five minute wait. Check-out also took a very long time.

I was very impressed with the building and location of the Westin, but am loathe to consider staying there again after the horrible service we received.

Been to Westin St. Louis? Share your experiences!